Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can cell balancing cause vampire drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some nights (I leave it unplugged at night) my M3 is losing between 4% and 8% battery (no sentry, no summon, no apps waking up the car, no overheat protection...)

I asked Tesla, and they answered this:
The consumption that is perceived is a battery balancing, which tries to equalize the charge of the battery cells to provide better performance and more accurate data readings. This is the expected operation.

Do you agree? Is this ok?

(Sorry for my bad English)

Do you charge at or over 90%? I'm under the impression balancing on model 3/Y only happens at that point.

The other thing to know is that as the battery cools down, less energy can be extracted from it. That is not the car spending energy, it'S just a fact (physics/chemistry) that less energy will be output from that battery unless it warms up again. The car shows that by reducing the %SOC indicated in the car.

Usually I charge the car at work, until 70%. In the afternoon, I go home (less than 10 miles), and I leave the car unplugged all the night.

Here you can see the info from the car. It's in Spanish, but you can see that the power drain comes from "Vehicle standby" section:

photo_2023-02-14_15-47-00.jpg

I am curious if it is actually burning 8%, or if it sees the drop and puts it in that category.

Very possible that since the BMS is not seeing much variability in charge, that it stops charging at what it thinks is 70%, and after it sits changes its estimate to 62%. Then it sees that as a "loss" even though its just an estimate change.

This is an issue several have noticed and I think it is a new one. There are frequently reported large BMS adjustments. I see them too.

I don’t think this is well understood at this point. (Aside from the general understanding that BMS adjustments do happen.)

I don’t think it is due to the new tracking system just making the changes more evident.

Still, have to determine whether negative adjustments (gains) reduce the tabulation of park losses (I don’t know whether they do - I do know that negative losses (gains) do not allow display below zero on the park screen). It may be that these BMS shifts balance out (though I don’t think so) over time.

TBD! Keep phantom drain under control

Last edited:
Reactions: pep_dj