Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 MY - Vehicle Standby Battery Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyday my Tesla drains around 6-8% over an 8 hour period parked outside.
It hasn’t done this in the past and it doesn't do this when parked at home.
I can leave it at home unplugged for weeks and it wont lose any % at all.
Tesla service gave me a non answer as to why this is happening.
I've seen a couple of other threads about this but doesn't seem like there is any valid answer/fix.

Some more info:
-only happens when parked at "work"
-car is in "deep sleep"
-not using sentry (tried excluding "work" & completely turning it off)
-not using standby for summon (don't even own EAP)
-not using phone app
-not using 3rd party apps
-not using overheat protection

Picture:

Try turning off the WiFi (WiFi in the Model Y is only needed for updates). The Tesla Model Y will attempt to reconnect to the default WiFi network the next time you drive. To stop the Model Y from trying to connect to the default WiFi network you would need to delete the WiFi connection under settings; manually reconnect the next time that WiFi is needed for a software update. The Tesla Model Y will display a message that you need to connect your Tesla Model Y to a WiFi network to receive updates (even when there aren't any current updates for your vehicle.) You can ignore this message.

Try turning off the WiFi (WiFi in the Model Y is only needed for updates). The Tesla Model Y will attempt to reconnect to the default WiFi network the next time you drive. To stop the Model Y from trying to connect to the default WiFi network you would need to delete the WiFi connection under settings; manually reconnect the next time that WiFi is needed for a software update. The Tesla Model Y will display a message that you need to connect your Tesla Model Y to a WiFi network to receive updates (even when there aren't any current updates for your vehicle.) You can ignore this message.
wifi isnt on

When at home, is it parked in a garage? It's very possible that what you are seeing isn't actually lost energy. When the battery cools down, as when parked outside in the cold, it will not be able to give back as much energy as what was put in. The car tries to tell you how much energy it will be able to pull out by reducing the SOC%. In reality, the battery is still at the same SOC (voltage). Using TeslaFi I can clearly see both values :
1677245838252.png

In this case I preconditioned in the morning so there's only 1% difference but I've seen as high as 7%. This is normal, there's nothing to worry about, and the car has no other place to indicate it than in "vehicle standby" as far as I know.

When at home, is it parked in a garage? It's very possible that what you are seeing isn't actually lost energy. When the battery cools down, as when parked outside in the cold, it will not be able to give back as much energy as what was put in. The car tries to tell you how much energy it will be able to pull out by reducing the SOC%. In reality, the battery is still at the same SOC (voltage). Using TeslaFi I can clearly see both values :
View attachment 910729
In this case I preconditioned in the morning so there's only 1% difference but I've seen as high as 7%. This is normal, there's nothing to worry about, and the car has no other place to indicate it than in "vehicle standby" as far as I know.
Parked outside so its definitely not weather related conditions.
As stated before, this only recently started happening, never lost battery just parked this fast before.

Ok. There are not that many other things to test then. Location is different but I'm having trouble understanding how that could affect your car. Things like sentry etc might be location dependent but you've checked that and your picture shows that's not it.
At home, are you connected to a wifi? You could try disabling that connection to see if it makes any difference... grasping at straws a bit. The car could be topping up the 12V but I can't see why it would be different than at home.

Parked outside so its definitely not weather related conditions.
As stated before, this only recently started happening, never lost battery just parked this fast before.
What @GtiMart makes the most sense. I believe he is really suggesting that if it is NOT parked in a garage (like you say it is outside) then there is the explanation that they have offered. Would happen in a cold garage though not as quickly.

What @GtiMart makes the most sense. I believe he is really suggesting that if it is NOT parked in a garage (like you say it is outside) then there is the explanation that they have offered. Would happen in a cold garage though not as quickly.

Maybe im missing something or just not understanding how it makes any sense.

Parked at work (outside) - Loses 8% in 8 hours
Parked at home (outside) - Loses 0% in DAYS

What exactly makes it lose so much battery?

I'm simply trying to find what varies, and try different combinations, to figure out what the problem is. There has to be a difference since the behavior is different. Once you figure it out, you'll be able to report it to Tesla properly, presuming it's an actual problem. NO, I'm not saying you should disable wifi in general.

I'm simply trying to find what varies, and try different combinations, to figure out what the problem is. There has to be a difference since the behavior is different. Once you figure it out, you'll be able to report it to Tesla properly, presuming it's an actual problem. NO, I'm not saying you should disable wifi in general.
Gotcha. I'll try it out
Have you installed any 12V accessory that directly connects the the low voltage battery?
negative

The author of this thread has a very special car if it can be parked outside unplugged for weeks and the SOC does not drop. Guess his car does not use any energy when it wakes to top off the 12V battery? Not possible unless he is disconnecting the 12V/lithium negative battery terminal while parked at home for weeks. Now if he is driving his car at about every day and a half he may never see any drain because the 12V/lithium battery is topped off anytime the car is awake.

Last edited:
Everyday my Tesla drains around 6-8% over an 8 hour period parked outside.
It hasn’t done this in the past and it doesn't do this when parked at home.
I can leave it at home unplugged for weeks and it wont lose any % at all.
Tesla service gave me a non answer as to why this is happening.
I've seen a couple of other threads about this but doesn't seem like there is any valid answer/fix.

Some more info:
-only happens when parked at "work"
-car is in "deep sleep"
-not using sentry (tried excluding "work" & completely turning it off)
-not using standby for summon (don't even own EAP)
-not using phone app
-not using 3rd party apps
-not using overheat protection

Picture:
I have noticed this as well lately.
Although, I’m always plugged in at home, so can’t comment on any other location.

My thoughts were either a new update is causing it, the extremes cold temperature here is to blame, or the new energy app thing is buggy and accounts for unavailable battery (due to cold battery).

Also, I wonder why Tesla stopped letting us see what percentage of the battery was effectively cold and now just shows a snowflake with no other information.

At night, I plug my Wall Connector in the charging port of of my 2023MYLR7 for the scheduled battery charging from ~50% to 60% at 6:00am. But, when I'm ready to start my morning commute, I find it at 58%. What's going on? Furthermore, between the Standby Mode and Mobile Access, the energy App informed me that I consumed about 4% in ~12 hours. Can someone please explain these two battery issues? Thanks for your help!

At night, I plug my Wall Connector in the charging port of of my 2023MYLR7 for the scheduled battery charging from ~50% to 60% at 6:00am. But, when I'm ready to start my morning commute, I find it at 58%. What's going on? Furthermore, between the Standby Mode and Mobile Access, the energy App informed me that I consumed about 4% in ~12 hours. Can someone please explain these two battery issues? Thanks for your help!
If you have Sentry mode set to be active at your home location then the Tesla Model Y will remain in standby mode. Energy consumption can be 3% to 4% over ~12 hours when in standby mode. Set Sentry mode to be off at your home location. (You can set the Home location (also Work location) within the Tesla Navigation screen settings.)

The daily charging limit you set and the displayed state of charge (SOC) at the completion of charging can vary acouple of percent as SOC is just an estimate. If you need a bit more charge then you can set the daily charge limit with better precision using the slider control in the Tesla app.