Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I add my wife to my purchase agreement and title after I took the delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vreddy

Aug 15, 2023
Hello All,

I recently took delivery on 8/13/2023 MYLR, during the purchase I did not realize that I could apply CVR in California in my wife's name. Hence I did not add her in the purchase or on the title. I paid cash for my vehicle. Can I add her now on the purchase agreement to apply CVR on her name? If yes, how to proceed further?

Thank you

If you already took delivery, the transaction’s done and closed…

Edit: does CVRP require the MVPA or would title/registration suffice? Since yours is a cash transaction, you could try contacting your SA and see if they’ll amend the title/registration documents before they are sent to the DMV. And that’s if CVRP will take only title/registration.

Last edited:
If you already took delivery, the transaction’s done and closed…

Edit: does CVRP require the MVPA or would title/registration suffice? Since yours is a cash transaction, you could try contacting your SA and see if they’ll amend the title/registration documents before they are sent to the DMV. And that’s if CVRP will take only title/registration.
The requirement from CVRP is that need Purchase agreement and title both are required. I am not worried about the title as I can modify that to add my wife's name on the title. I spoke to a CVRP rep and they said they must need both in order to process the application.

No matter what anyone here says, this is between you and Tesla. They probably wont do it (as they have zero reason to as the transaction is completed, with money changed hands, etc), but you need to ask them. Even if someone here says "sure this is possible" it wont matter if Tesla wont do it.

You should go in person to your delivery center and ask (not phone, not email etc), as phone and email are very easy to say "nope sorry" to.

I had a similar situation (I think). I paid cash for our MY and wanted to make sure my wife was on the title (I was cleaning up my estate plan to ensure she had easy access to everything). Since you have your title, look at the bottom for a "Rights of Survivorship Agreement". At least in Texas, all she had to do was sign on the line for joint ownership.

My title statement reads: "We, the persons who signatures appear herein, hereby agree that the ownership of the vehicle described on this certificate of title shall from this day forward be held jointly, and in the event of death of any of the persons named in the agreement, the ownership of the vehicle shall vest in the survivor(s).

Hope this helps, my friend.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had a similar situation (I think). I paid cash for our MY and wanted to make sure my wife was on the title (I was cleaning up my estate plan to ensure she had easy access to everything). Since you have your title, look at the bottom for a "Rights of Survivorship Agreement". At least in Texas, all she had to do was sign on the line for joint ownership.

My title statement reads: "We, the persons who signatures appear herein, hereby agree that the ownership of the vehicle described on this certificate of title shall from this day forward be held jointly, and in the event of death of any of the persons named in the agreement, the ownership of the vehicle shall vest in the survivor(s).

Hope this helps, my friend.

The problem this OP has, is not Title (which since they are the vehicle owner, they can add someone to with some simple paperwork), but the Purchase agreement (the sales receipt, basically).

The california rebate they are talking about needs the purchasing agreement to match who is applying for the rebate. Since for this OP, they didnt buy the car that way, they basically need Tesla to unwind the purchase and re sell them the car (since the transaction is closed).

Reactions: Cobe