Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I do updates via Tesla Service Center Wifi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new M3 2023. Is it possible to drive to my distribution center to connect to their WiFi so I can get updates that way?

Yes, you can. Though the update process does not always commence exactly when you want.
Might be easiest to find a parking spot within WiFi range of any other access point - Starbucks, restaurant, retail store, or a public venue. Leave the car parked there while you do what you do, and next thing you know, you will be prompted to update the software.

HTH,
a

Reactions: fholbert
Yes, you can. Though the update process does not always commence exactly when you want.
Might be easiest to find a parking spot within WiFi range of any other access point - Starbucks, restaurant, retail store, or a public venue. Leave the car parked there while you do what you do, and next thing you know, you will be prompted to update the software.

HTH,
a
The app will prompt you if there’s a software update and tell you to connect to wifi. Or you will see an orange download icon in the car.

You do not need to connect to wifi to check for an update, only to download an update if available.

So no need to periodically go out of your way to connect to wifi at a service center or supercharger unless you’re already going there.

HTH,
a
Unless something changed, Tesla software can't handle wifi login/splash/captive portal pages so Starbucks and similar places won't work. I've found that Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods work though since you can connect to their wifi without any need to accept terms etc.

Unless something changed, Tesla software can't handle wifi login/splash/captive portal pages so Starbucks and similar places won't work. I've found that Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods work though since you can connect to their wifi without any need to accept terms etc.
People use mac spoofing to get around that. This article uses a laptop, but it's possible to do also on Android phones.
Connecting Your Tesla to Public WiFi

Also some phones have a hotspot passthrough function, which may also work. A travel router that has a client mode (wireless WAN) would also work (this is what I use personally for my camera system; I installed OpenWRT on a TL-WR902AC).

Today I discovered that my Android phone (Google Pixel) keeps the current Wi-Fi network even if I turn on personal hotspot. In other words, I can be connected to an existing Wi-Fi network while simultaneously sharing it over an ad-hoc network. (I imagine some other phones also support this, but I don’t know which ones.)

This not only gets around the Tesla’s Wi-Fi captive portal (authentication) limitation but also works around the Tesla’s poor Wi-Fi reception, since the phone effectively becomes a Wi-Fi extender.

On your phone:
  1. Join a Wi-Fi network. Click to connect / authenticate if needed.
  2. Turn OFF mobile data.
  3. Turn ON personal hotspot.
On your car:
  1. Join your phone’s hotspot network.
  2. In the browser app, try browsing the web.

PXL_20230915_113718860.jpg