Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I lease in Canada and bring to the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
My husband is moving to LA from Vancouver Canada for two years for work. He wants to lease a model 3 here in Vancouver for a few months before moving, and then drive it down with him.
Is he allowed to bring it with him? Anything we would need to know about this arrangement?

I‘m not sure about if there is anything weird with how a leased car would be handled but assuming he isn’t planning on importing the car he might be fine. If he has to import it then it’ll probably be quite expensive both moving down there and then moving back and I suspect there would be a lot of complications around importing a leased car to begin with. Also if he doesn’t import it then it’ll still be covered by BCAA which could have a problem with the car being out of the country for that long but maybe they don’t need to know as long as he still has a BC address and doesn’t need to file any claims.

I moved to BC a few years ago and then back to the states a few years after and it was a pain. In order to get a parking permit I had to import my car. This wasn’t a big deal back then as I owned my car outright and it was many years old. However, a fellow coworker who did the move as well did not own their car fully and had to pay several thousand to import it and I believe paid again when they re-imported it back into the states.

good luck!

Upvote 0