Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I personally program a key fob?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sorry if this is redundant but I lost my fob and was going to buy online. Can it now be programmed by me in the UI. I thought I saw an update around this functionality. On the ads some say must be programmed by tesla service while others say you can do. I don’t want to buy an OEM fob on eBay And then not be able to use it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

I’m sorry if this is redundant but I lost my fob and was going to buy online. Can it now be programmed by me in the UI. I thought I saw an update around this functionality. On the ads some say must be programmed by tesla service while others say you can do. I don’t want to buy an OEM fob on eBay And then not be able to use it. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Traditionally, the fobs for Model S and X are different from Model 3 and Y.

You can go to the screen of Model 3 and Y to program their fobs but there's no such menu on your S/X screen.

Thus, for S/X's fobs, you need Service Center/Mobile Service to do that for you. I have no idea whether if you can bring an e-bay fob for Tesla to program for you or not. You might want to get Service Center's confirmation first before making an e-bay's fob purchase.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I have that same Q .. I bought my car couple weeks ago from a dealer, had only one fob with it.. I bought another one off eBay, and have an app with the Tempe SC to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 on my 2015 MS70D. I was going to ask if they can program it. One of the screen menu choices under.. Security/Software (I think) is "Reset Key Fob" .. is that to wipe an existing fob from cars use/memory, release it, or what?

I have that same Q ...One of the screen menu choices under.. Security/Software (I think) is "Reset Key Fob" .. is that to wipe an existing fob from cars use/memory, release it, or what?
This is to revoke your “lost key” not to reprogram new one to the car. Tesla have old and new generation of key fobs, as of this it depends whether your new key will be suitable to be programmed to your car.

I have that same Q .. I bought my car couple weeks ago from a dealer, had only one fob with it.. I bought another one off eBay, and have an app with the Tempe SC to upgrade MCU1 to MCU2 on my 2015 MS70D. I was going to ask if they can program it. One of the screen menu choices under.. Security/Software (I think) is "Reset Key Fob" .. is that to wipe an existing fob from cars use/memory, release it, or what?
Love the PSA smile on that plane!

Reactions: X-pilot
Don't forget to check that you can lock/unlock/start your car with only the app, after your MCU2 Upgrade. Do it before you leave the SC. If it does not work, text them back via your SC work order that its not working. They can fix it remotely.

I bought two fobs from ebay, they were $89 + shipping (for two keys). Well the shipping cost was about $50 because it was express from the US to Finland,.

I scheduled a mobile service from the app. Ranger came to my place and coded the keys, and total cost was only 17€!

Super cheap!

[KULLANICI=85716]@RGGC[/KULLANICI],

Arabanızla çalışmak üzere yeniden programlanmalarını sağlamak için anahtarlıklarınızı arabanızla birlikte SC'ye götürmelisiniz. Ve ayrılmadan önce ikisini de kontrol edin.
Sadece bir tane alırsanız, programlamadan sonra sadece bir tanesi çalışır. Arabanıza uyacak şekilde programlanmış 3 adede kadar alabilirsiniz.
Ben de girmeden önce yeni piller takmanızı tavsiye ederim.
Model X için anahtar kodlama sınırı nedir? Araçla birlikte verilen 2 anahtar dahil toplam kaç anahtarı kodlayabiliriz? Teşekkürler.

I bought two fobs from ebay, they were $89 + shipping (for two keys). Well the shipping cost was about $50 because it was express from the US to Finland,.

I scheduled a mobile service from the app. Ranger came to my place and coded the keys, and total cost was only 17€!

Super cheap!
What is the key encoding limit for Model X? How many total keys can we code, including the 2 keys supplied with the car? Thanks.

Traditionally, the fobs for Model S and X are different from Model 3 and Y.

You can go to the screen of Model 3 and Y to program their fobs but there's no such menu on your S/X screen.

Thus, for S/X's fobs, you need Service Center/Mobile Service to do that for you. I have no idea whether if you can bring an e-bay fob for Tesla to program for you or not. You might want to get Service Center's confirmation first before making an e-bay's fob purchase.
What is the key encoding limit for Model X? How many total keys can we code, including the 2 keys supplied with the car? Thanks.

1F330BC8-B21B-445A-8A09-F2E9717BCD25.jpeg

Yeah, three is the max.

I had an interesting problem yesterday with the new keys. Car would detect all keys as key#1, so I couldn't assign them to profiles. All keys activated profile #1. I tried even rebooting and it didn't help. I could assign the key#1 to another profile, but then that profile would activate with any key.

However today it works as expected, can assign all three keys to different profiles. Go figure.. :) I did SMS my ranger in the meantime but he never replied, but it's possible he still did something remotely?

Yeah, three is the max.

I had an interesting problem yesterday with the new keys. Car would detect all keys as key#1, so I couldn't assign them to profiles. All keys activated profile #1. I tried even rebooting and it didn't help. I could assign the key#1 to another profile, but then that profile would activate with any key.

However today it works as expected, can assign all three keys to different profiles. Go figure.. :) I did SMS my ranger in the meantime but he never replied, but it's possible he still did something remotely?
Thanks...

Yeah, three is the max.

My friend, I have a question for you.
1-) What do you think is the ideal number of keys for the Model X?
2-) Are the two keys that came with the vehicle the same? As an image, as a feature?