Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use my phone to open the door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There should be a lock/unlock icon in the center of the car graphic on the controls screen in the app.

But I wouldn’t advise to only use the app for an older Model S. The app controls require internet connection to control the car. There is no direct Bluetooth connection like on Model 3/Y or refreshed 2021+ S/X.

That means if you happen to be somewhere with poor or no cellular connectivity (eg deep in a parking garage or just a random AT&T dead zone), you will be locked out of your car and/or won’t be able to restart it without the key fob.

And honestly just for me personally, having to take the phone out and open the app and wait for it to connect every single time to unlock/lock/start the car is way more annoying and time consuming than just carrying the fob.

There should be a lock/unlock icon in the center of the car graphic on the controls screen in the app.

Nope

IMG_4235.JPG

So you CAN start and drive the car with the phone as long as there is internet service? Does the car need to be continuously covered be internet to keep running, and it will it just not start again if you're out of range?
As long as both car and phone are connected to the internet the "start" button in the app will allow you or anyone else to drive the car. When you or whoever is driving the car presses the park button on the shifter stalk the remote start process will have to be started again before the car can be driven.