Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use the Tesla UMC to charge my Chevy Volt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if these converters get a lot of sales and then non Tesla EVs start using them at HPWC destination chargers at hotels and whatnot.... Will there be rowdy results? Will there be unpluggings of Leafs and Volts even of the hotel owners are ok with it? Will there be a Ruckus?

I wonder if these converters get a lot of sales and then non Tesla EVs start using them at HPWC destination chargers at hotels and whatnot.... Will there be rowdy results? Will there be unpluggings of Leafs and Volts even of the hotel owners are ok with it? Will there be a Ruckus?
Only if Tesla owners feel overly entitled. QCP is very clear that users should get permission to use any Tesla charging point that they use. If the owner/operator of the HPWC is OK with it, then Tesla drivers have no more right to unplug a J1772 EV while charging than they would a Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: bonaire
80A home charger, HPWC, High Power Wall Charger, Tesla says "Availability: In Stock", for $999, and has all the claimed features mentioned in messages above of the current Tesla High Power Wall Connector (load sharing up to 100amp circuit 80 amp supply to vehicles (max), etc.). Am I right that this is essentially just a $550 Tesla High Power Wall Connector with a J1772 plug fitted on the end? That seems like someone could do it for the cost of a Tesla HPWC + J1772 plug properly attached. I sent a query to them asking if they got separate UL listing for this new configuration; that UL listing would make the extra $250 or so worth it.

80A home charger, HPWC, High Power Wall Charger, Tesla says "Availability: In Stock", for $999, and has all the claimed features mentioned in messages above of the current Tesla High Power Wall Connector (load sharing up to 100amp circuit 80 amp supply to vehicles (max), etc.). Am I right that this is essentially just a $550 Tesla High Power Wall Connector with a J1772 plug fitted on the end? That seems like someone could do it for the cost of a Tesla HPWC + J1772 plug properly attached. I sent a query to them asking if they got separate UL listing for this new configuration; that UL listing would make the extra $250 or so worth it.
80 amp J1772 plugs are not cheap nor easy to find.

The QuickChargePower ad seems a little sleazy to me. For any vehicle other than a Tesla, the 80A charging station is no faster than a 32A charging station. ClipperCreek sells those for about half the cost (HCS-40, $565). If you have a Model S/X or Roadster, then you're better off with the appropriate Tesla connector. I suppose a hotel could use the J-HPWC to offer charging for all EVs and maximum charge rate for Tesla owners, but personally at a hotel I'd rather have two 32A charging stations than one 80A station. The 80A chargers are nice at restaurants and the like for Roadsters that can charge at 70A and can't use the Supercharger network.

I personally appreciate every such station that's out there, but it's a pretty niche market.

You don't have to use a Jwall with an 80 amp circuit any more than you have to use a HPWC with an 80 amp circuit. For situations where you may have only one 50 amp circuit available, but two EVs to charge, I think this is a good solution. It's even better that you can charge one Tesla vehicle with a HPWC and one non-Tesla vehicle with a Jwall on that shared circuit. The alternative, charging both cars with only 20 amps (4.8kW) is clearly an inferior solution. Also, as battery packs get bigger, I expect more automakers will move beyond 32 amps for their on-board chargers.

I personally appreciate that all these niche products exist to solve challenges in people's unique situations.

The QuickChargePower ad seems a little sleazy to me. For any vehicle other than a Tesla, the 80A charging station is no faster than a 32A charging

"Sleazy" Tom? Really? You stay classy.

The maximum charge power of the following cars:

16 amps or less (3.8kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2011-2012), Chevy Volt, Chevy Spark EV, Toyota Prius Plug-In, Ford C-Max Energy, Ford Fusion Energy, ZERO motorcycle (2015 and newer with J1772), Brammo motorcycle, Smart Electric Drive, Ford C-Max Energi, Karma Fisker, Mitsubishi iMiev, Cadillac ELR, Porshe Cayenne S-E, Porsche Panamera S-E, Honda Accord Plug-In.

30amps or less (7.2kW at 240 volts):

Nissan LEAF (2013 and newer at 28 amps, however some are 16 amps), VW eGolf, Kia Soul EV, BMW i3 and i8, Ford Focus Electric, Fiat 500e, Honda Fit EV, Fiat 500e.

32 amps - Bolt EV (7.7kW at 240 volts)

40 amps or less (9.6kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S, plus the following two Tesla powered cars; Mercedes B-Class ED and 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV

48 amps or less (11.5kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S (2016 and newer)
Tesla Model X
Tesla Model 3

70 amps or less (16.8kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Roadster (requires firmware update to use any charge station over 70 amps)

72 amps or less (17.3kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model X and Model 3 with optional 72 amp charger

80 amps or less (19.2kW at 240 volts):

Tesla Model S with optional "twin chargers" (2012-2015)

You are right Tony, calling it "a little sleazy" was overly harsh. My only objection was to this sentence which could be misleading to people who don't understand that charge rate is limited by both the car and the station.

J-Wall provides the absolute fastest way to charge ANY vehicle at home with J1772 when the unit is installed with a 100 amp circuit.

I apologize for not choosing my words more carefully. I respect your contribution and commitment to the EV community.

You are right Tony, calling it "a little sleazy" was overly harsh. My only objection was to this sentence which could be misleading to people who don't understand that charge rate is limited by both the car and the station.

J-Wall provides the absolute fastest way to charge ANY vehicle at home with J1772 when the unit is installed with a 100 amp circuit.

I apologize for not choosing my words more carefully. I respect your contribution and commitment to the EV community.
You don't need to apologize too much. "sleazy" was a bit harsh, but "a little misleading" would be pretty accurate. @TonyWilliams went through that huge list to show about 28 other kinds of EVs, and it proved your point exactly. Every single EV that does not use the Tesla onboard charger can only use 32A or less--exactly as you stated.

• Informative
Reactions: tomsax
You don't need to apologize too much. "sleazy" was a bit harsh, but "a little misleading" would be pretty accurate. @TonyWilliams went through that huge list to show about 28 other kinds of EVs, and it proved your point exactly. Every single EV that does not use the Tesla onboard charger can only use 32A or less--exactly as you stated.

Our biggest customers for J-Wall are owners of:

1) Tesla powered 2012-2014 Toyota RAV4 EV at 40 amps

2) Tesla powered 2014-newer Mercedes B-Class ED at 40 amps

3) Tesla owners with a 40-80 amp onboard charger that also have a LEAF, i3, Soul EV, etc.

4) Commercial vehciles at 80 amps

5) Folks with a Volt, LEAF, etc, now who plan to have a "real" car someday

6) Folks who want to charge 2-4 cars at once with limited available electrical power (for instance, 4 units on one 50 amp breaker)

7) Commercial venues like motels, auto dealers, etc

8) Professional installation companies

None, to my knowledge, were confused about what they wanted or what the unit might do for them. I freely answer questions and provide the very same data you find proves something else entirely.

Anyhoo, I don't find the wording to the ad misleading at all, nor do we want to be misleading. I've spent a good deal of my EV advocate life fighting against wrongs in the EV world. So, what do you think it should say?

The maximum charge power of the following cars:
48 amps or less (11.5kW at 240 volts):
...Tesla Model 3
72 amps or less (17.3kW at 240 volts):
...Tesla Model 3 with optional 72 amp charger

Were those "specs" for Model 3 published somewhere already? Or are you just extrapolating/guessing based on current production Tesla vehicles?

So, what do you think it should say?

Here's a statement that is more clear and explanatory, and gives context for the list of vehicle charge limits later on the page.

When installed with a 100-amp circuit, J-Wall provides the maximum amperage allowed by the J1772 standard (80A) to support full-speed Level 2 charging for any vehicle. The actual charge rate will depend on line voltage and the vehicle's on-board charging equipment.

Using "Level 2" is a little nerdy, but I notice the page uses "L2" in the first sentence on the page.

I intentionally left out any mention of "at home" because there are good reasons to avoid high amperage for overnight charging at home, but that's a topic for a different thread.

I usually say the Gubment needs to stay out of things, but ever we needed federal regulations and oversight it's on standards that allow business and innovation to flourish. Government should help select a standard and reward it's implementation. Charge stations should not be proprietary and need to accommodate all known variations under fair market and even disability access.

I usually say the Gubment needs to stay out of things, but ever we needed federal regulations and oversight it's on standards that allow business and innovation to flourish. Government should help select a standard and reward it's implementation. Charge stations should not be proprietary and need to accommodate all known variations under fair market and even disability access.

Engineering associations need to establish standards. The government is terrible at it. Political favors and engineering necessity do not mix.

Engineering associations need to establish standards. The government is terrible at it. Political favors and engineering necessity do not mix.
Generally speaking you're right. But look what happened with SAE J1772. It sucks compared to Tesla's proprietary coupler. I suspect Tesla's design will eventually become the standard because it's safer (handles more amps), more compact, and dual purpose (both AC and DC).