Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Level 5 self driving really happen with other drivers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well that's the good thing - they don't program in individual events to the Autopilot settings. It's all learning from other drivers. All the people who are *not* using AP are teaching Autopilot (globally) how to respond, how to react in certain situations.

I am doubtful it can learn that much without someone telling the AI what they need to look for. How does the system know that someone getting cut off in the front of the car in front of you will likely result in a chain reaction. It has no way to learn that some jerk in an Avalacnhe is going to drive super aggressive and cut you off at a merge even though it should be your turn to go. The more I think about it, the more problems I can envision. As I said, most of the disengagement I have with AP is due to the three following. #1 Other drivers #2 Roads that are beyond AP's capability (too sharp) #3 Bad infrastructure . It's easy to say AI can learn them all, but I am very doubtful.

Road is the least of my concern, distracted driving is probably a bigger problem. I can see how difficult roads can be dealt with mapping and some good logic. Yet you have to train the car do multiple scenarios to avoid an accident. Think about how many accidents you avoided because of awareness and avoidance on your part vs. how many accidents you have been in