Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone use their car nagivation system to help me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a long post, but I would really appreciate any help... I live on Vancouver Island, BC and am thinking of ordering a Model 3 as I travel a lot for work. As the longer range models are not eligible for the rebate, I'm interested in getting the SR+, but I'm concerned I won't be able to make a round trip to work on a single charge and I'm also concerned about constantly charging to 100 and almost fully discharging. I live in Nanaimo, BC. I'm currently renting in a condo and am in the process of trying to persuade my landlord + condo board into installing a charger but it's looking less and less promising. I can't afford to buy a house where I can just install what I want, and there are limited condo/apartment options with EV charging in my price range. So I was thinking of just using the superchargers when needed. However, 72 days of the year I work in Campbell River BC and drive up and back down in a single day. There will be no opportunity for me to really charge in Campbell River while I'm at work. I believe with the car, the navigation system can plan your trip and tell you exactly what you need to do? I was hoping that someone with a SR+ could enter in a round trip from Nanaimo superchargers to, let's say, Walmart in CR and back and tell me if I would need to charge at any point during the trip or if I would be able to make it back to Nanaimo and recharge at the supercharger? I also work in Courtenay 140 days of the year and have the same question (say, from Nanaimo superchargers to say North Island College in Courtenay and back)?
Also, what kind of effect might this have on the battery? Constantly charging to 100% and discharging to whatever I have left after the round trips 210 days of the year?
Thanks so much!

Also, what kind of effect might this have on the battery? Constantly charging to 100% and discharging to whatever I have left after the round trips 210 days of the year?

To answer this part .. it’s not recommended ;).. there is a thread here about a Tesloop vehicle that basically supercharged to 100% daily ..the degradation I recall was around 10% or so

• Informative
Reactions: talsk and jdw
I think you will be able to make the 300+km trip, assume:
1. charge to at least 90%
2. try stick to 100km/hr or under. I remember speed limit there is 90
3. charge to 100% if you need to use heat in winter

I think this is actually a case where the Chademo adapter could be useful.
There are quite a few DC charging station like this one along the route.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: talsk and jdw
...round trip...

It looks like your longest round trip is about 310km and your SR+ range is 386km which gives you 76km extra buffer.

Like @chevycc , I think it's possible but I think it's for SUMMER. If I were you, I would not be comfortable with the decision. There's so little left for unforeseeable factors: speed, wind, winter, vampire drain, battery degradation...

I would rather pay more to get the 499km Long Range for the peace of mind.

Agree. Not an easy decision to make.
Without the ability to charge at home, your EV experience on those 72 long commute days won't be as pleased...

You would start the day rushing to Nanaimo SC and hope there are less than 4 cars charging there. On the way back home, you will probably want to stop at SC again to top off to at least 20% to not only perserve the health of battery but also give yourself a bit of buffer for the next day. If you can use DC charging as I mentioned previously, you can skip the top off step on the way home.

• Helpful
Reactions: talsk
I think you will be able to make the 300+km trip, assume:
1. charge to at least 90%
2. try stick to 100km/hr or under. I remember speed limit there is 90
3. charge to 100% if you need to use heat in winter

I think this is actually a case where the Chademo adapter could be useful.
There are quite a few DC charging station like this one along the route.
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

The speed limit is actually 110km now (just lowered from 120km). I'm hoping this situation is something that will only be an issue for a year or two... seems like there are more and more chargers every day. Crossing my fingers that one will open up close to my workplace in the next little while, then there will be no issues. And that can get a home charger soon. :)
It does look like there are a couple of options within a 10 min walk to my work in Campbell River (the visitor centre, community centre, city hall), but I'm not sure what the etiquette is... can I just park my car there for a few hours even if I'm not visiting those places?

Reactions: P85_DA
It looks like your longest round trip is about 310km and your SR+ range is 386km which gives you 76km extra buffer.

Like @chevycc , I think it's possible but I think it's for SUMMER. If I were you, I would not be comfortable with the decision. There's so little left for unforeseeable factors: speed, wind, winter, vampire drain, battery degradation...

I would rather pay more to get the 499km Long Range for the peace of mind.

Yeah, unfortunately, I can't afford the long range right now. I would ideally wait a few years to save up and find a place to live with a charger, and at that point there would also be more charging sites, but I know the rebates won't last forever and some months I'm paying $400 for gas. There are compelling pros and cons with either choice.

OK, here is my real life experience.

I live in Cowichan, about 75 km south of Nanaimo. I drive to Courtenay and Campbell River regularly.

My method might be a touch inconvenient for you as described, but it can be far easier.

I charge at home and drive to the Nanaimo SC. I top up to around 90%.

I drive to exit 101, Buckley Bay rest stop. I plug in to a
(free) 1772 EVSE, pee, check my emails, do a bit of work and leave about 45 minutes later.

I drive to Campbell River, connect to a (free) 1772 EVSE at near my meetings there and work for two or three hours.

I’m often drinking coffee during meetings and when I leave, I welcome the stop at Buckley Bay and repeat the process.

It can be far easier than this. The Buckley Bay rest stop has a ChaDeMo EVSE and a CCS EVSE. You could pick up the Tesla ChaDeMo adaptor and do a full charge either northbound or southbound. That should full charge rather than the partial top up that I do.

What you want to do should be easy.

OK, here is my real life experience.

I live in Cowichan, about 75 km south of Nanaimo. I drive to Courtenay and Campbell River regularly.

My method might be a touch inconvenient for you as described, but it can be far easier.

I charge at home and drive to the Nanaimo SC. I top up to around 90%.

I drive to exit 101, Buckley Bay rest stop. I plug in to a
(free) 1772 EVSE, pee, check my emails, do a bit of work and leave about 45 minutes later.

I drive to Campbell River, connect to a (free) 1772 EVSE at near my meetings there and work for two or three hours.

I’m often drinking coffee during meetings and when I leave, I welcome the stop at Buckley Bay and repeat the process.

It can be far easier than this. The Buckley Bay rest stop has a ChaDeMo EVSE and a CCS EVSE. You could pick up the Tesla ChaDeMo adaptor and do a full charge either northbound or southbound. That should full charge rather than the partial top up that I do.

What you want to do should be easy.

This is SO great, thank you! Do you have a SR+? How long do you think I would have to stay at Buckley Bay, considering that you stay 45 minutes at the rest stop, live further away, but also charge in Campbell River? Have you ever used the chargers in Campbell River at the community center, city hall, or visitor's center, or anywhere else on the trip? This whole thing is a bit confusing for me as I don't know anyone with an EV, so you've been a big help. (You ALL have).
Seems a bit inconvenient that I would have to charge twice a day (considering that I don't have a home charger yet), but as long as I can use that time productively, I'm okay with that.

This is SO great, thank you! Do you have a SR+? How long do you think I would have to stay at Buckley Bay, considering that you stay 45 minutes at the rest stop, live further away, but also charge in Campbell River? Have you ever used the chargers in Campbell River at the community center, city hall, or visitor's center, or anywhere else on the trip? This whole thing is a bit confusing for me as I don't know anyone with an EV, so you've been a big help. (You ALL have).
Seems a bit inconvenient that I would have to charge twice a day (considering that I don't have a home charger yet), but as long as I can use that time productively, I'm okay with that.
Yes, I have an SR+.

I typically stay about 45 minutes at Buckley Bay, but that is partly because I pee and get caught up responding to emails on my phone.

I have charged in Campbell River at the visitors’ centre and at city hall. They are both J-1772 level 2 charging.

The community centre has a CHADeMO EVSE as does the Buckley Bay rest stop.

The PlugShare app and/or website show these.

If I weren’t so cheap I would get the CHAdeMO adaptor and make my life as easy as I am making yours.

Just to clarify, if it’s the “Canada limited” version that Tesla offers to qualify for the rebate you don’t have to worry about always charging to “100%”. The battery is solely software limited, so you aren’t really charging to 100%.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85_DA
I want A Modlel 3 Perfomance. I’m still working on my credit score. I’m barely 600. But I have a plan to put down 20% of $61,587. Wihich is around $12,000 dollars. And I have a decent trade in. I’m concerned about getting approved. I have 2 negatives on my credit report around $2300.00. I will be ready around December to go for it.