Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Build an M3 This Fast?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a RWD, EAP, Non-P, 18" Aero, MSM on 7/27/18. Received a call a week later that my car was ready to ship to me in LA. Picked up on 8/12 with a 55XXX vin and the car says built 8/18. The car had some Freemont dust in the trunk seals which I thought meant the car was sitting on the lot for a while.

Can Tesla really get these versions built that fast or did I just luck out because they happened to be making exactly what I wanted? And can the trunk gaps have dirt/dust from only being outside a few days? Seems like it may have been built weeks ago and they slapped a 8/18 build sticker inside the door. Hmm...

Regardless, I love the car! Coming from a BMW 5-series, this car has MUCH more pickup and better handling.

Sorry, yes... It was built 08/2018. I got the call on 8/3 saying it was done. Literally a week after I ordered it (not the 2-4 month window they were quoting).

I ordered on 8/7 and will take delivery as early as 8/21. VIN is in the 49,000s. So I think they have cars either being built and delivered quickly or sitting in various parts of the country. I don’t know WHEN mine was built yet.

Also MSM LR RWD aero EAP

Reactions: scottman71
They’re being built right now and just being matched to orders ASAP. It maybe half built when it’s matched to you and then shipped right away.

Yes dust can collect in a few days especially if it’s next to the major highway.

• Love
Reactions: Argyle
My guess is that there are many M3 sitting and wait for software option tweaks and then taken to prep as the delivery date arrives. Mine is 51xxx, just delivered, and had dust on the bottom plastic trims. Sadly the black m3 next to me got rejected because it looked “used.” They waited a year to find water stains on the mats, in the trunk and big rock chips on the front. Couldn’t even tell if the rock chips had been fixed or just ignored. Not sure how that happens when taken delivery at Fremont. Perhaps shipped on open carrier to another hub but then shipped or driven back.

Sadly the black m3 next to me got rejected because it looked “used.” They waited a year to find water stains on the mats, in the trunk and big rock chips on the front. Couldn’t even tell if the rock chips had been fixed or just ignored. Not sure how that happens when taken delivery at Fremont. Perhaps shipped on open carrier to another hub but then shipped or driven back.
I don't understand what you are saying... "waited a year" to find problems with a car which has only been in volume production for a few months?

Tesla are only shipping to the US and Canada at the moment. That 400,000 car waiting list is global.
True. Let's assume half are global orders. That means supposedly 200,000 people are waiting for their car, while I can order one now and have it in a month? That's a year's worth of production. Either all those people are waiting for the mythical $35k car that might never appear, or the actual active waiting list is much less than this. I fail to see a third explanation.

Reactions: adaptabl
My guess is that there are many M3 sitting and wait for software option tweaks and then taken to prep as the delivery date arrives. Mine is 51xxx, just delivered, and had dust on the bottom plastic trims. Sadly the black m3 next to me got rejected because it looked “used.” They waited a year to find water stains on the mats, in the trunk and big rock chips on the front. Couldn’t even tell if the rock chips had been fixed or just ignored. Not sure how that happens when taken delivery at Fremont. Perhaps shipped on open carrier to another hub but then shipped or driven back.

What color is yours and when was it made?

True. Let's assume half are global orders. That means supposedly 200,000 people are waiting for their car, while I can order one now and have it in a month? That's a year's worth of production. Either all those people are waiting for the mythical $35k car that might never appear, or the actual active waiting list is much less than this. I fail to see a third explanation.

I think that you left out the queue of AWD vehicles. These still seem to be constrained, still a number of months for folks wanting one.
And I do expect that there are a lot of people waiting for the SR RWD model. That's the price point that is available to many more Americans.

Reservation No: RN107111540

Placed the order 8/4/18. (deposit $2500). Performance Model 3.

Contacted by delivery expert 8/6/18. Now scheduled for delivery 8/18/18.

I wasn’t expecting the car till 10/18 at the earliest. I think Tesla has