TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can Tesla Build an M3 This Fast?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by scottman71, Aug 13, 2018.

1. scottman71

scottman71 Member

I ordered a RWD, EAP, Non-P, 18" Aero, MSM on 7/27/18. Received a call a week later that my car was ready to ship to me in LA. Picked up on 8/12 with a 55XXX vin and the car says built 8/18. The car had some Freemont dust in the trunk seals which I thought meant the car was sitting on the lot for a while.

Can Tesla really get these versions built that fast or did I just luck out because they happened to be making exactly what I wanted? And can the trunk gaps have dirt/dust from only being outside a few days? Seems like it may have been built weeks ago and they slapped a 8/18 build sticker inside the door. Hmm...

Regardless, I love the car! Coming from a BMW 5-series, this car has MUCH more pickup and better handling.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Has the ramp gone too fast? Delivering cars before they're even built!

• Funny x 2
  3. mcbarnet007

mcbarnet007 Member

i think 8/18 means 08/2018. And yes, they can build it that fast.

4. boriszima

boriszima Member

8/18 of course means August 2018. this is great news for all!

5. scottman71

scottman71 Member

Sorry, yes... It was built 08/2018. I got the call on 8/3 saying it was done. Literally a week after I ordered it (not the 2-4 month window they were quoting).

• Like x 1
  6. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

I ordered on 8/7 and will take delivery as early as 8/21. VIN is in the 49,000s. So I think they have cars either being built and delivered quickly or sitting in various parts of the country. I don’t know WHEN mine was built yet.

Also MSM LR RWD aero EAP

• Like x 1
  7. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

They’re being built right now and just being matched to orders ASAP. It maybe half built when it’s matched to you and then shipped right away.

Yes dust can collect in a few days especially if it’s next to the major highway.

• Love x 1
  8. SJC3

SJC3 Member

My guess is that there are many M3 sitting and wait for software option tweaks and then taken to prep as the delivery date arrives. Mine is 51xxx, just delivered, and had dust on the bottom plastic trims. Sadly the black m3 next to me got rejected because it looked “used.” They waited a year to find water stains on the mats, in the trunk and big rock chips on the front. Couldn’t even tell if the rock chips had been fixed or just ignored. Not sure how that happens when taken delivery at Fremont. Perhaps shipped on open carrier to another hub but then shipped or driven back.

9. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Model 3s are built in batches and not to order. You got an inventory car that fit your build that was sitting in a lot. It also shows that this 400,000 person waiting list not really what it seems.

• Like x 3
  10. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

Ah. Building 5000 a week it seems like they’d have to be building them very fast.

11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

I don't understand what you are saying... "waited a year" to find problems with a car which has only been in volume production for a few months?

12. J1mbo

J1mbo Active Member

Tesla are only shipping to the US and Canada at the moment. That 400,000 car waiting list is global.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  13. corduroy

corduroy Member

There are not that many configurations available, so my guess is they continue to produce the most common configs and just match them to buyers as orders come in.

• Helpful x 1
  14. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

True. Let's assume half are global orders. That means supposedly 200,000 people are waiting for their car, while I can order one now and have it in a month? That's a year's worth of production. Either all those people are waiting for the mythical $35k car that might never appear, or the actual active waiting list is much less than this. I fail to see a third explanation.

• Like x 1
  15. SJC3

SJC3 Member

meaning she put a deposit down more than a year ago. We were pleasantly surprised to get ours three months after putting down a deposit.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Member

What color is yours and when was it made?

17. SJC3

SJC3 Member

White and not sure when made...VIN decoder doesnt show. Ill look on the door jam (assuming its there) once I get my car back from service.

18. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

I think that you left out the queue of AWD vehicles. These still seem to be constrained, still a number of months for folks wanting one.
    And I do expect that there are a lot of people waiting for the SR RWD model. That's the price point that is available to many more Americans.

19. MaadP

MaadP Member

Reservation No: RN107111540

Placed the order 8/4/18. (deposit $2500). Performance Model 3.

Contacted by delivery expert 8/6/18. Now scheduled for delivery 8/18/18.

I wasn’t expecting the car till 10/18 at the earliest. I think Tesla has

20. MaadP

MaadP Member

— sizable inventory and they try to match the cars to confirmed orders as they come in. I feel really lucky reading some of the posts who been waiting for a while.
    BTW VIN assigned: 74...
    Apologies for the split post.