Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla Data Help Us Understand Car Crashes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the problems I see with AP/FSD is that it doesn't take into account the ENTIRE road situation. It's a drivers aid so from time to time what a person expects isn't what its going to do.

The overall situational awareness is left to the person behind the wheel, and they obviously failed.

The car should have sensed the rapidly approaching Acura the way a human driver would have.

Neither the video nor the article provide both the front view, and the rear view through the entirety of the incident so I can't really say how much either is at fault.

What we do know is it's likely the accident wouldn't have happened without AP. The driver would have done a lane change to the lane next to the truck with flashing lights like an idiot, and the Acura would have gone flying by like an idiot. Human drivers would have been able to be their idiot selves without any crash.

In similar situations I always took over from AP as I don't want to rapidly slow down with a car quickly approaching especially after I faked a lane change. I also don't want to do a lane change to a lane next to an tow truck.

Last edited:
I have found that the best way to get rid of a tailgater is to slow down. Gently, of course, but if you keep lowering your speed, the tailgater eventually realizes it and will go around you. I use this technique often to mitigate PB risks.

It's curious how low your speed must get sometimes, as the tailgaters are so concentrated on your bumper that they don't realize how slow they are going!

I don't see this being the case of a tailgater nor a case of PB.

The person was in the left passing lane, and attempted to get out of it.

They weren't able to get out of the left lane due to the truck with the flashing lights being on the shoulder. The flashing lights also caused the slow down because people are supposed to slow down for emergency vehicles, and construction.

We don't have enough data to know what the Acura was doing, but given the lawsuit its likely they were traveling at an unsafe speed.

So it seems like most of the fault is on the Acura driver for driving too fast for the situation on the road.

Last edited: