Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Raising Price of FSD to $15,000, AI Director States "We Can Build a Car That Never Crashes"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After FSD Beta 10.69 successfully rolled out to Tesla owners last night, Elon Musk tweeted that once it is released to all FSD Beta participants, the price of the FSD package will be raised from $12,000 to $15,000 on September 5th. The current price will be honored for any orders placed before September 5th.

Another price increase seems like a reassurance that FSD will come to fruition soon. Tesla's Autopilot Software director Ashok Elluswamy shares additional information regarding the progress Tesla has made in FSD Beta 10.69: a huge change introduced in this update are "Occupancy Networks," which Elluswamy states are "our approach to solve general obstacle detection and using it to enable sophisticated collision avoidance." He claims that these occupancy networks are so important in solving self-driving that "when we execute on this plan we can build a car that literally never crashes."

Tesla enthusiast @WholeMarsBlog on Twitter shares their first 35-minute drive with FSD Beta 10.69, highlighting the significant changes Tesla has made in this update.

FSD Beta tester Chuck Cook @Chazman (who also snuck into the v10.69 release notes) also shared a video testing how FSD Beta 10.69 handles turns. "It wasn't very smooth, but it was adjusting its course so it can continue without a full stop," referring to the unprotected left turn his car had just executed.

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.50.25 AM.png

Credit: Chuck Cook on YouTube

We're hoping all the changes that need to be fixed by 10.69.2 will provide more reasoning for Tesla's sudden price increase in FSD Beta 10.69. We can only hope this means Tesla is seriously getting closer to solving the self-driving problem, and we will certainly see how the changes allowing video and map data to simultaneously help FSD Beta learn to drive will affect not only how it drives now, but in the near future.

Virginians maybe drive slow though because that is right around 77mph on an interstate with a 70mph limit.
I always lock the cruise on 69 MPH where the limit is 65, no more than 4 over, and stay in the right lane in VA. I don’t drive there often.

Got pulled over on I-95 in VA about 20 years ago for 83 in a 65. For those that don’t know, 80+ in VA at that time was an automatic reckless driving citation (it probably still is.) Had to get a lawyer and everything. Sucky experience overall.

Two years later, got popped on I-81 in PA doing 84 in a 65. Standard $100-odd dollar speeding ticket, paid by mail like normal.

I guess "ELECTRIFIED" G80 was not clear to some. Also, my requirement was a luxury 4-door sedan which by definition means a trunk, not a hatch back with folding seats. From my 3-months shopping, I never came across any EV luxury 4-door sedan with a trunk that had folding rear seats. I know hatch backs like Tesla Model S has them but did not see this from Lucid, BMW, or MB. Frunk? Again, 4-door sedan, only EV 4-door sedan I came across that had a frunk was Lucid. Like BMW, Genesis new platform was designed from the beginning to be offered as ICE or EV. That is why we are now starting to receive ELECTRIFIED G80 and coming soon, ELECTRIFIED GV70 and G90. This engineering approach lowers cost drastically. Since I already own a Tesla MX, I did not want or need a hatch back or huge trunk and I did not care about a frunk, it is not needed. I was sharing how Genesis Highway Driving Assist (HDA v2) operates in comparison to Tesla FSD as this thread is about. You are the one who kept asking me questions about the G80. I for one would never criticize or make fun of anyone's choice of vehicles and I would certainly not ask TMC members about a vehicle that I had not done any research on. All vehicle choices are great and I hope everyone loves the vehicles they drive.
I don't mean to offend you for your choice of vehicles. I asked you questions about the G80 because of what you wrote earlier. I hope you come back and share more in depth experiences of the G80.

I always lock the cruise on 69 MPH where the limit is 65, no more than 4 over, and stay in the right lane in VA. I don’t drive there often.

Got pulled over on I-95 in VA about 20 years ago for 83 in a 65. For those that don’t know, 80+ in VA at that time was an automatic reckless driving citation (it probably still is.) Had to get a lawyer and everything. Sucky experience overall.

Two years later, got popped on I-81 in PA doing 84 in a 65. Standard $100-odd dollar speeding ticket, paid by mail like normal.
Not automatic per se', but 20 over the limit OR anything over 80 (even in 70mph zones) CAN result in reckless driving citation. But in my experience, the cop typically just writes it as a basic speeding ticket. Now if a person is racing, blacked out windows, acts in a certain manner towards the cop when he pulls you over, etc? Totally his discretion to hand out the reckless ticket.

What has worked for me: I pull over, turn off engine, turn off radio, have cell phone down/away, window down, both hands on top of wheel. I answer only the questions asked. I also ask before I reach to get the registration/wallet. This always has worked for me/in my favor.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve

Just paying is no bueno and leaves you open to premium increases, always sick a lawyer on the court and you’ll more often than not get a no pointer/non moving even if you have to pay the fine.

Genesis new platform was designed from the beginning to be offered as ICE or EV. That is why we are now starting to receive ELECTRIFIED G80 and coming soon, ELECTRIFIED GV70 and G90. This engineering approach lowers cost drastically. .
Been in this field for decades and let me tell you that this is only done when the C-Suite is made up of bean counters. If the C-Suite was made up of engineers, with a focus on engineering, they will never develop such a strategy. Ever.

The two times I have gotten a speeding ticket in my driving of 30 years, I have called the court and opted for a probation period. Works like a charm. Pay the fine and does not show on your record.

Reactions: ElectricIAC

80mph still is, but they upped speed limit in many stretches of 64/95 to 70mph

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Last ticket I ever got was in VA, route 29 (this goes through like six counties over 65 miles so they are all just looking for $$) about 35 years ago. YES, I was speeding and was ticketed for 74 in 55. When I asked to see the incident readout, they couldn't produce it, then called me back to the cruiser. There was no record. They issued the ticket and just said "you don't have to return to pay this, you can just pay it in the mail".

Of course I returned, showed up in court (with my passenger) and actually argued that there was no way I was going 74, as I was going significantly FASTER than that as we both attested to. The officer had not produced record of the speed gun incident, and the dept. couldn't produce any of the calibration reports for that device. (I was instructed by a lawyer to pursue this avenue). They ended up throwing out the ticket, but not before the Judge noted that "if I ever see you again in my court..."

In the following 35 years I've had to travel that route probably more than 100 times and really never go much more than 5 miles over the speed limit and always keep a pigeon out front.

;-).

YMMV

Yea, but waze is better than radar detectors anyway
Waze can be great and certainly in VA where RDT are illegal there isn’t another option, but having driven over 20,000 nationwide coast to coast in the past 18 months (E/W, W/E/W, W/E/W, N/S and S/N) there are many many states and areas where Waze as far as Police reportings, speed traps and even speed cameras is pretty useless. It’s either areas where the area too wide open with too few “wazers” driving through, ala Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma (really anywhere on the 40 or 80 other than CA/NV or IN,IL) or lazy wazers, or lack of knowledge about it.

Having a quality front and rearward facing detector and some solid honed highway driving practices was critical to avoid at least half a dozen near misses avoided only by the detector.