Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Tesla do rudimentary noise cancellation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if that's considered safe? You need to be able to hear things like ambulances/sirens/honking/etc. I know cars are already well sound insulated and that's considered fine, but I can imagine people getting bothered by the idea of digitally enhanced noise cancellation in a car.

I wonder if that's considered safe? You need to be able to hear things like ambulances/sirens/honking/etc. I know cars are already well sound insulated and that's considered fine, but I can imagine people getting bothered by the idea of digitally enhanced noise cancellation in a car.
Good point. Maybe AI/ML can drown out highway humm but allow siren sounds etc. to be heard clearly??

Reactions: go2realize
There are companies that offer noise canceling solutions for cars, but it's only partially effective. It can cancel constant droning noises like the engine, HVAC fan, tires, etc... but doesn't do great on dynamic noises like exterior sounds.

There are companies that offer noise canceling solutions for cars, but it's only partially effective. It can cancel constant droning noises like the engine, HVAC fan, tires, etc... but doesn't do great on dynamic noises like exterior sounds.
^This. Noise cancellation eliminates constant noise. It can eliminate or reduce tire noise, wind noise, engine drone (if a car has it), but it won't eliminate sound "spikes" like horns, sirens, etc.

There's a mic and a sound system so it may be possible. That might help with some of the road and tire noise in the M3.

You can’t really cancel noises you pick up on a mic inside the cabin because at that point it's too late. You could maybe generate some generic profile of things the mic hears and generate similar reverse frequencies, but that wouldn’t be super affective and could actually introduce noises into the cabin.

you could just limit the frequencies cancel to those in the spectrum around road noise not the sirens etc? they are one ofs and specific frequencies that could easly be ignored.

That is not how active noise cancelation works. It looks for constant repeated pattens like wind and road noise and works best in med to lower frequencies.

When it spots a pattern it plays the same "noise" but 180º out of phase so the waves cancel each other out.

Elon says the best way to reduce noise would be to allow cars to use ourside cameras instead of noisey mirrors. Would also increase efficiency and range.

They already put foam in the tires to reduce low frequency thumping noise.

I noticed the new adaptive suspension on the Raven also has a benefit of quieting down the sound from the road.

Active noise cancelling is something that others have done. It is relatively available and effective.
Uses microphones to activate counter noise from the radio speakers to cancel out noise.