Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the on-route-preheat be turned off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And I don’t think that’s a professional engineer/product designer should do to “let the customer think of hacky bypass”. It’s what we can think, but not what they can assume.

I happen to be a professional engineer/product designer. If this were my feature to design, I would employ something similar to existing limiters in the firmware, for example:

- regen limiters kick in to protect the battery when adversarial conditions are met (temperature, state of charge, etc)
- keep climate on will work until battery drops below 20% SoC.

In your hypotheticals, if SoC were low, or the routing to an SC was cutting it close by some threshold, the preheating feature should be automatically disabled. Clearly it's better to reach the SC and charge a bit slower than get stranded trying to get there to charge faster.

I've recently seen evidence that when SoC is low, all available regen is restored (if it had been currently nerfed due to low temps) to minimize the chances of you running out of juice, at the sacrifice to battery health. I think it's a good call.

That said, I've seen some iffy firmware features upon initial release that later get refined, so it's definitely within the realm of possible that initially we users have to do the hacky pin drop next to the SC to prevent auto-preheat from kicking in.

I've recently seen evidence that when SoC is low, all available regen is restored (if it had been currently nerfed due to low temps) to minimize the chances of you running out of juice, at the sacrifice to battery health. I think it's a good call.
It's probably just a normal part of the "how much regen is available". How much regen is available is directly impacted by both battery temp and SOC.

It's probably just a normal part of the "how much regen is available". How much regen is available is directly impacted by both battery temp and SOC.

the observation I had is that in temps where I would typically have very little regen, the car suddenly gives it all back to me because my SoC has gotten low (not sure where the threshold is, but maybe when the battery indicator goes from green to amber). This tells me there's logic in place to prioritize range over battery health in low SoC conditions to minimize the chances of someone getting stranded.

It's deliberate considerations like this that gives me confidence that Tesla has thought through a lot of scenarios around battery range and overall longevity and why I'm currently hesitant to consider other companies' EVs atm, particularly those in the lower price points.

Reactions: CSFTN
Is there anywhere that cold that busy?

I for one appreciate the idea here, should be a big help for those of us in cold climates who to date have had to plan for evening charging while the pack is warm or manage pack warming before charging in the morning during trips.

Is there anywhere that cold that busy?

I for one appreciate the idea here, should be a big help for those of us in cold climates who to date have had to plan for evening charging while the pack is warm or manage pack warming before charging in the morning during trips.
It sounds like this feature will also be used by cars navigating to V2 SC.

It sounds like this feature will also be used by cars navigating to V2 SC.
Yeah that is my presumtion. Are there superchargers outside of CA with regular lines? Seems like the CA folks think 40f is cold, in this neck of the woods this time of year high 20s and sunny is T-shirt weather. Think today was the first above zero morning since Saturday and it was low single digits.

the observation I had is that in temps where I would typically have very little regen, the car suddenly gives it all back to me because my SoC has gotten low (not sure where the threshold is, but maybe when the battery indicator goes from green to amber). This tells me there's logic in place to prioritize range over battery health in low SoC conditions to minimize the chances of someone getting stranded.
I'm saying that because the ability to push charge back in a function battery temp and the inverse of the SOC, a battery at the same temp will accept charge faster at the lower of tow different SOC. So it probably isn't so much priority as it is a natural outcome of a formula based on the physics of what it could do.

Yeah that is my presumtion. Are there superchargers outside of CA with regular lines? Seems like the CA folks think 40f is cold, in this neck of the woods this time of year high 20s and sunny is T-shirt weather. Think today was the first above zero morning since Saturday and it was low single digits.
Austin TX SC isn't as bad as the LA ones, for example, but it's pretty annoying in how has a wait for a stall semi-regularly. It also gets chilly at time during the winter, occasionally to the point of freezing. Obviously not WI cold, though.

I'm saying that because the ability to push charge back in a function battery temp and the inverse of the SOC, a battery at the same temp will accept charge faster at the lower of tow different SOC. So it probably isn't so much priority as it is a natural outcome of a formula based on the physics of what it could do.

my understanding of the physics is that temp (particularly below 20F) matters more than SoC when it comes to the necessity to lower regen, which is why regen is almost completely nerfed at those temps at a very wide range of SoC, down to the final 15%. AND the fact that the firmware gives you 100% of regen back instantly as opposed to a gradual increase leads me to think that the logic is relying less on the physics and more on just switching to range preservation mode. Though I do agree that the impact of heavy charging is mitigated somewhat at low SoC, up to a point. If you go colder than 20F, it becomes more and more detrimental to push a high C rate.

-edit-
found this, which talks about charging being very limited by low temp, not SoC:
Charging at High and Low Temperatures

Last edited:
For other Tesla applications, like dog mode, camping mode etc, the computer will usually cut them off at a certain level to not fully deplete the battery.

Imaging it will be the same for pre-conditioning.

If you are worried, you can simply select an area near the Supercharger. The pre-conditioning only will happen if you select navigate to a supercharger icon.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am a bit unclear on how it turns on.

If I search a town in the nav that has a supercharger and it comes up, I then choose it and am on my way, will it then preheat?

Thanks
That’s my understanding but recognize it’s not widely implemented yet and it will likely evolve, maybe with an indication or switch. I think it’s 2019.12 that is starting to include it, besides 2019.7.11.