TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can we renew our HOV sticker?

Discussion in 'California' started by theatwar99, Nov 12, 2018.

1. theatwar99

theatwar99 Member

Hi all,

Quick question regarding California HOV stickers -- we're owners of a 2015 Model S, purchased in late 2015. We received our white HOV sticker in early 2016. Will we be able to re-apply for a new sticker once our current sticker expires at the end of 2018?

2. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member

Short answer, no you can not renew it.

3. derkan

derkan June Bug

This was discussed at length on some other threads. As far as I know, white stickers expire at the end of this year, one person heard something about us being able to apply for a newer sticker in 2019, but this contradicts a bunch of other info and was not confirmed.

One person heard or read somewhere that - if your white sticker was issued in 2017-2018, then you will be able to apply for new sticker in 2019, presumably valid 4 "more" years. Perhaps you can apply for a REPLACEMENT white sticker now, and see if that makes you eligible in 2019 for a new, different color one. Worth a shot if you ask me - costs $22.

4. miimura

miimura Active Member

• Informative x 1
  5. dailo

dailo Member

I wonder if CHP will bother looking up license plates to verify what the expiration date for your stickers are supposed to be. The carpool lane is already hardly monitored, I can imagine the red / purple stickers being stolen especially since it seems like most people have their stickers on top of PPF or vinyl.

6. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

?? The CHP doesn't have to look up your license plates. They just need to look at the color of the sticker. All stickers of the same color have the same expiration date.

• Like x 1
  7. dailo

dailo Member

What prevents someone from taking a red sticker from another car and putting it on theirs? I imagine they must have thought of that and need another check in place.

8. miimura

miimura Active Member

The stickers have serial numbers and a certificate with the serial number and the registered vehicle details is issued with each set of stickers. If fraud or theft is suspected, the driver needs to produce the certificate to avoid citation.
    Obviously, the chance of such close inspection is pretty small, so sticker theft is an issue that people need to consider before mounting the stickers on PPF when applying them to their vehicle.

9. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

#9 Russell, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    I'm suspecting you haven seen an HOV sticker up close.
    Removing a sticker from another car damages the sticker.

10. dailo

dailo Member

Not if someone puts the sticker on top of vinyl or something. I remove mine all the time without damaging it.

11. Russell

Russell Supporting Member

Under normal circumstances...

12. Need

Need Active Member

I think soon the cameras on the toll roads and on the police cars will automatically check the decal number and match it with the license plate number. They are already doing the auto scan for licence plates. That's probably why they wanted the red sticker to be on the front bumper too.

13. JPP

JPP Active Member

Wow--you are assuming a major upgrade in camera resolution. The serial numbers on the CA HOV stickers are pretty small. My understanding of the 4th sticker on the front is for the 'pay-to-play' HOV lanes in NoCA (and I believe also SoCA) where there is a camera facing the front of the car to check for/record:

number of front seat occupants
    presence of the FasTrak transponder (which is supposed to be mounted up front and visible from the outside)
    Presence of the CA DMV HOV decal

14. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

I don't think the cameras look for the decals (since the decals are linked to a license, scanning the plates should be sufficient). The front sticker is probably for law enforcement. I sometimes see motorcycle cops on on-ramps with HOV lanes checking for violations from the front.