Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you charge other EV using your portable Tesla UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The way I read that is that the problems only start if you are connecting to a 3-phase supply, using a Gen1 charger with the blue adapter?

Other way around: problem arises when you are connecting to a single phase supply but the Gen1 UMC makes the car think it has 3-phase.

Does it follow that a single phase supply via 3-pin plug should be ok on either version? (Gen1/Gen2)

You would expect so, but I don't think anybody has reported testing the Gen1 adapters to be sure. You could check it quite quickly with a multimeter. (Actually, *I* could check it quite quickly with a multimeter as I now have a Gen1 UMC 13A plug adapter, which I didn't last time this was discussed. Be right back....)

Edit: No multimeter required! On inspection, the Gen1 UMC -> 13A plug adapter doesn't even have contacts in the connector for the other two phases, so this adapter definitely can't cause the problem seen with Renault Zoe, and is almost certainly OK to charge any EV. It is probably only the 32A blue commando adapter for the Gen1 UMC that is problematic, though I haven't tried all the others to be sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: HenryT and MrBadger
Other way around: problem arises when you are connecting to a single phase supply but the Gen1 UMC makes the car think it has 3-phase.

You would expect so, but I don't think anybody has reported testing the Gen1 adapters to be sure. You could check it quite quickly with a multimeter. (Actually, *I* could check it quite quickly with a multimeter as I now have a Gen1 UMC 13A plug adapter, which I didn't last time this was discussed. Be right back....)

Edit: No multimeter required! On inspection, the Gen1 UMC -> 13A plug adapter doesn't even have contacts in the connector for the other two phases, so this adapter definitely can't cause the problem seen with Renault Zoe, and is almost certainly OK to charge any EV. It is probably only the 32A blue commando adapter for the Gen1 UMC that is problematic, though I haven't tried all the others to be sure.

Excellent - thanks v much Arg.

Having just bought an ID.3 and owning a Gen1 equipped MS I'm pleased hear that we don't need to buy another granny charger 'just in case'

Cheers

Reactions: tess19
I have a BYD Atto 3. It charges from the Tesla Wall Charger, but not the Gen 2 Tesla Mobile Charger, plugged into a 32 amp power point (using a 32 amp adapter). The Model 3 charges fine from the 32 amp power point

To blow it up, you need:
  • Gen1 UMC
  • 32A blue commando adapter (and a suitable 32A supply to plug it into, from which about 96A will be drawn)

Tesla changed to UMC Gen2 5 years ago now*, so there shouldn't be a huge number of Gen1 UMC connectors in the UK other than those with some older Model S and X ... worth taking care if buying second hand on Ebay though ...

(*Even early Model 3 and Y supplied UMC are Gen2)