Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

can you inspect the car first before signing paperwork and making payments on delivery day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all.

My delivery day is tomorrow morning.

I wonder if I can just see and inspect the car first without doing any paperwork and make payment?

And how much time do I have to inspect the car and ask question on the day of delivery?

thank you.

You have as much time as you want. Just let them know you will need a whirl and they will move to the next delivery. As long as they aren’t going to close they won’t mind. Never felt rushed just don’t expect them to wait with you. They are probably delivery a car every available time slot plus some over lap.

With going in the morning you'll be fine. The problem would come if you arrived at 6pm and were last appointment of the day. Keep in mind the car is complex and you're probably not going to be able to ask every single question about it. Not necessarily because your SA is going to rush you but because you're not going to be able to think of everything that needs to be asked. Pick your top most urgent questions and write them out. Things associated with the drive home and seat adjustments ect. Keep in mind there's plenty of time to learn about the car later on. And the manuals are actually fairly well written. Enjoy and don't forget a delivery picture with the car.

You should plan to spend at least 45 minutes inspecting the car. Bring a second person to help you as two sets of eyes are better than one. Don’t sign any papers until you are satisfied. And be very cautious about accepting a car that requires paint or other repairs unless you are very comfortable with what Tesla is agreeing to do for you to correct any issues. And if corrections are required get them in writing before signing.

Reactions: super20g
This is an especially busy time at the delivery centers. They want to accommodate every one in checking out their car before signing acceptance paperwork, but for those who want to spend an hour or so going over their car with a fine tooth comb, it can clog up the delivery process and make everyone else get delayed.

Thousands of new owners want to pick up their cars before EOY, so of course the delivery team is eager to keep the line moving.

Best to let them know if you have specific inspection desires so they can stage your car to best accomodate your needs.

Obsessing about an imperfect panel gap, on an otherwise fantastic driving car sometimes missed the goodness inherent in these amazing Electric Vehicles.

My friends Model 3 finally came in and he refused it due to paint chips and other damage. They said it will be March before another one comes in, for what that's worth. Very frustrating. I drive an S I bought 5 years ago and had a whole lot better buying experience that what he went through Monday. I guess times have changed.

You definitely can. They obviously want to expedite the delivery process, though, so may not explicitly offer and may tell you that they are ready to get the paperwork going before showing the car. I asked to see it and they brought it up so I could do a circuit before signing anything. Caught a piece of misaligned chrome trim on the door that they took care of right away.

The Tesla delivery experience doesn’t often get high marks, and I wouldn’t call it magical or special, but I still spent less time at the DC than I would have at any other dealership haggling, doing paperwork, going through warranty info, etc.

Personally, I'm not too concerned with holding up payment/documentation for delivery day; I've already sent payment and approved the docs online. Since there is a 1k-mile/1-week grace period, I'll spend more time at home reviewing the car. I'm planning on looking for any big issues and having them identified before driving off the lot.