Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you reject delivery in Texas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a Y on June 30 and returned it July 6. There were too many misalignments (hatch not wide enough, passenger door crease misaligned).

I'm ready to give it another shot. But I'd like to know if it's actually possible to refuse a delivery in Texas. I know you have to "accept delivery" just to even unlock the car. But I'm wondering if you're able to refuse the car by not "accepting delivery" in the app just based on your exterior observations.

Has anyone actually successfully refused a delivery in Texas and then got put back in line for another VIN shortly after?

I want to avoid another return situation, if possible, because they've been very slow to refund.

I took delivery on the door step April 2nd. They email you about the time they drop off the car and then activate the app. You click on the button in the email to accept the car. If you don't you don't get access to the app. I think you have something like 24 hrs to accept. The key cards are left in the car. I had very good luck talking with the guy prior to delivery. I'd do that or call/go by the center at Love Field.

Tesla does not list any state as being unable to return in the restrictions on their return policy.

What they do mention is returning the car may be up to the discretion of your lender if you finance with a third party. Which would be everyone why buys in Texas, so I’d ask your lender. As long as they will allow, Tesla will have to take the car back

Tesla does not list any state as being unable to return in the restrictions on their return policy.

What they do mention is returning the car may be up to the discretion of your lender if you finance with a third party. Which would be everyone why buys in Texas, so I’d ask your lender. As long as they will allow, Tesla will have to take the car back

hmm not everyone in Texas. I found once I paid cash and skipped the trade the process accelerated.

I got a Y on June 30 and returned it July 6. There were too many misalignments (hatch not wide enough, passenger door crease misaligned).

I'm ready to give it another shot. But I'd like to know if it's actually possible to refuse a delivery in Texas. I know you have to "accept delivery" just to even unlock the car. But I'm wondering if you're able to refuse the car by not "accepting delivery" in the app just based on your exterior observations.

Has anyone actually successfully refused a delivery in Texas and then got put back in line for another VIN shortly after?

I want to avoid another return situation, if possible, because they've been very slow to refund.

I've been wondering the same thing and never found a definitive answer. It would seem possible as long as you don't accept in your account.

I do know that once you do "accept" in your account, there are basically no options to reverse it. I had a horrible sounding rear motor that somehow made it through QC. I drove it 5 miles and turned around to take it back. Service guy kept saying how busy they were but did a quick drive and said the rear motor would probably need to be replaced. Only options were to schedule service in the app (2 weeks out), leave it and "maybe" they could get to it sooner, or return. I chose return and now I'm waiting for the money to go back to my lender to start the whole order over from scratch.

I've been wondering the same thing and never found a definitive answer. It would seem possible as long as you don't accept in your account.

I do know that once you do "accept" in your account, there are basically no options to reverse it. I had a horrible sounding rear motor that somehow made it through QC. I drove it 5 miles and turned around to take it back. Service guy kept saying how busy they were but did a quick drive and said the rear motor would probably need to be replaced. Only options were to schedule service in the app (2 weeks out), leave it and "maybe" they could get to it sooner, or return. I chose return and now I'm waiting for the money to go back to my lender to start the whole order over from scratch.
I thought that when you return the car, you could not order same trim for another 12 months (Tesla website says this). Is that not the case for Y or maybe for Texas?

Reactions: Reborn
Not sure, still waiting on the money to get back to the lender before I try. Person at the service center said she has seen people able to reorder right away by just changing the color. She was wrong on some other stuff though so I'm not convinced. Worst case, I will order in my wife's name.

Not sure, still waiting on the money to get back to the lender before I try. Person at the service center said she has seen people able to reorder right away by just changing the color. She was wrong on some other stuff though so I'm not convinced. Worst case, I will order in my wife's name.
Wow, how long has it been since you returned? Thought the refund would be quicker...

Wow, how long has it been since you returned? Thought the refund would be quicker...

That's another thing the person at the service center was wrong about. She said it should only take a few days. I emailed the advisor I originally worked with on the order after I hadn't gotten it in a couple weeks and they said it typically takes about 30 days.

edit: didn't actually answer your question. It's been 24 days now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooroo