Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you stop charging remotely from wall charger using the mobile app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I charge my car at home, and the minimum charging level I can set is 50%. Since I have free Supercharging, I prefer to charge at Superchargers and use home charging only when necessary to have enough charge for the trip to the Superchargers. Last night, I set my car to charge, and the charging level was limited to a minimum of 50%. The car started charging at 10%, and I needed at least 20% charge to reach the Supercharger the next day. When the charging reached 30%, I pressed the stop charging button in the app on my phone, and the charging stopped. After that, I didn't check my phone for another 15 minutes. It turned out that the charging had resumed, and during that time, the car had reached 37% charge. I once again stopped the charging by pressing the stop charging button and completely closed the app. I was confident that the car would no longer charge. Imagine my surprise when I woke up in the morning and found that the car had charged up to 50% - the minimum value that can be set on the car.

My question is, how can you stop charging through the app without physically disconnecting the car? Is it possible? Has anyone else encountered the same issue as me? It seems that the car resumes charging after some time (in my case - 10-15 min after stop) has passed since the charging was stopped through the app on the phone.

Strange. I have certainly used the app to stop charging and had it stay stopped. If yours had only restarted once, I would suggest that you had it set to start charging at a certain time and it started at that time. I have no explanation for it restarting twice.

I have the same problem, I figured it was something to do with having the car set for scheduled departure.
Besides unplugging I never found a way to stop it.
I don’t have schedule departure. I have scheduled charging at 12:15 AM ( my electricity company provides 10 c/kW rebate on off-peak charging. Charge started as scheduled on 12:15 AM and I stop it around 1 AM when it’s changed to 30 %. After this it’s resumed by itself after 10-15 min as I described in my post.

Strange. I have certainly used the app to stop charging and had it stay stopped. If yours had only restarted once, I would suggest that you had it set to start charging at a certain time and it started at that time. I have no explanation for it restarting twice.
Thanks for your response. My start time set to 12:15 AM. Read my reply above.

I don’t have schedule departure. I have scheduled charging at 12:15 AM ( my electricity company provides 10 c/kW rebate on off-peak charging. Charge started as scheduled on 12:15 AM and I stop it around 1 AM when it’s changed to 30 %. After this it’s resumed by itself after 10-15 min as I described in my post.
Establishing a scheduled departure. is really the best way to go. You can actually configure your electric utility's tariff, and the car will honor it. For example, I configured my utility's EV1 rate plan into the car, and it will only charge during off-peak periods as actually part of their rate plan. My utility changes the schedule to "summer" from June though September. This respects that change. I set my scheduled departure to 07:30, which we are never moving by then (retirement is a really cool thing). I don't know if all utility companies publish their tariffs, but they caught mine with no problem. Summer off-peak rate for me is 2.331¢ per kwh. Crazy cheap.

Reactions: Teachgirl
Is this a one time thing, or a regulare experience? I know it will start charging when plugged in for something like 6 hours after the scheduled start time, but I would still expect it to stay stopped once stopped (especially if over 20%, though that isn't based on explicit experience or documentation). I'm wondering if maybe your power was flickering and the Tesla thought it was plugged in again during that 6 hour window.

Is this a one time thing, or a regulare experience? I know it will start charging when plugged in for something like 6 hours after the scheduled start time, but I would still expect it to stay stopped once stopped (especially if over 20%, though that isn't based on explicit experience or documentation). I'm wondering if maybe your power was flickering and the Tesla thought it was plugged in again during that 6 hour window.
Was no power interruption. Also this happened twice in hour as I described in my original post.

Was no power interruption. Also this happened twice in hour as I described in my original post.
By "one time," I meant one night. Since others (myself included) don't have the issue, I was curious as to whether it is persistent from one day to the next. I'm also curious as to whether or not any reboots hae been attempted, but they aren't necessarily needed regardless if it only did this that one night and behaves normally now.

By "one time," I meant one night. Since others (myself included) don't have the issue, I was curious as to whether it is persistent from one day to the next. I'm also curious as to whether or not any reboots hae been attempted, but they aren't necessarily needed regardless if it only did this that one night and behaves normally now.
Didn’t try after this incedent. As I explain above I have free supercharger and I need to charge at home time to time just enough to reach nearrest supercharger on my upcoming trip. I’ll post updates on my next attempt.

Reactions: mxnym
You can add the chargers to the Tesla app by going to "add remove products" and selecting wall charger. The app will add and icon for your home so you can select the charger(s). At that point you can schedule 1/2 hour windows for the app to charge your car.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007_094630_Tesla1.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_094630_Tesla1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 101
  • Screenshot_20231007_083008_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_083008_Tesla.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20231007_094710_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20231007_094710_Tesla.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: abalexab