Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you tell if this used Model S has FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a used Model S from Vroom, and I am unclear if the vehicle is equipped with FSD or not. Can you tell from the attached screenshot?

2017 Model S 75
img_zmGpr2voAJxRU68D.jpg

I would also contact Tesla via chat, provide the VIN and make sure as well and keep a transcript of the chat conversation.

Also if you test drive, being able to use Navigate on Autopilot confirms FSD.

Thanks. Unfortunately, cannot test drive as it is not local. Chat is closed, but I've submitted a request to Tesla. Wasn't sure if there was a way to easily tell based on the menu screen.

I am looking at a used Model S from Vroom, and I am unclear if the vehicle is equipped with FSD or not. Can you tell from the attached screenshot?

2017 Model S 75
View attachment 542398
Can't tell from the screenshot. It might have FSD but not yet upgraded, and it might not. Ask owner is the only way. If they claim it has, ask for Order Agreement if purchased with car, or FSD Invoice if added after purchase.

You can’t tel from that screenshot, and furthermore you can’t even be certain you’ll keep the Enhanced Autopilot features present in that screenshot after purchase, as Tesla is likely to remove it and try to fleece you for another $7,000.

Have them take the car on the highway, enable autopilot and send you a photo of the navigation screen. If the car has FSD, "Navigate on Autopilot" will be a nice rectangular button you can select.
Enhanced Autopilot, the option far more present on cars from that era than FSD, has Navigate on Autopilot, so this test you describe won’t provide any relevant info.

You can also see the car has NoA based on the picture in the first post, so there’s no need to prove it with a test drive.

You can’t tel from that screenshot, and furthermore you can’t even be certain you’ll keep the Enhanced Autopilot features present in that screenshot after purchase, as Tesla is likely to remove it and try to fleece you for another $7,000.
Doesn't FSD 'stay with the car'? I've heard of a time when it was pulled after a Tesla 'audit' but I thought I remember hearing it was reinstated.

Tesla won’t tell you anything without you proving you own the car, so this is a waste of your time.

100% agree with this comment. When I was trying to purchase my used Model S, I tried asking Tesla in every way shape possible what options or features were purchased and included on the car, and they wouldn't tell me ANYTHING. They kept saying go talk to the current owner. You won't get any info from Tesla until after the car is transferred to your name. This sucks but my guess is this is their way of discouraging 3rd party selling.

I would think just the presence of the Nav on Autopilot menu option confirms FSD but I could definitely be wrong. Perhaps someone who has AP but not FSD can answer.

EAP has that. This is what I'm saying. Eap is way more likely than fsd. That screen is useless because it doesn't have FSD only features like stop sign but that's only with hw3 which isn't being retrofitted at this time.

Doesn't FSD 'stay with the car'? I've heard of a time when it was pulled after a Tesla 'audit' but I thought I remember hearing it was reinstated.
If the car has ever been back in Tesla’s possession after the initial sale (lease turn in, trade, etc), they’ll strip the feature and force the new owner to re-buy.

Lately they’ve been lax/incompetent about actually doing this before the car leaves their possession, so cars are ending up at auction with the feature enabled and then removed after the sale due to “audits” or other nonsense.

It’s a crap shoot. You may be able to get it back, but not without hours of dealing with an incompetent and indifferent service organization and/or getting traction with the media to force Tesla to respond.

The auto pilot /or FSD need to repurchase , that option in the pic is gray out.
Good point. Did this car go through Tesla, where they stripped any of the original auto-pilot options that might have been there, and added the current (post March 2019) neutered version of auto-pilot but not FSD? That would mean we'll have the same option confusion as FUSC - another way Tesla avoids future liabilities (read the FSD description below, you're understand why they want to get rid of as many pre-2019 FSD equipped car as possible - basically because they sold something they cannot deliver to those cars before those cars die of old age). Just as a reference, these are the descriptions of auto pilot features (EAP and FSD) from 2017
AP2.0.png

FSD Description.jpg

Reactions: Nick70d