Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you upgrade the base model to be equivalent to the Founders model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The base model is $200,000. The Founders model is $250,000. Once the base model goes into production in 2020, can we upgrade the base model with many options to be equivalent to the Founders model? The Founders model will probably have many upgrades such as nicer sound system, better wheels, HUD, better sport package options, etc....

So if we choose to get more upgrades to the base model and spend about another $50,000 in upgrades such as better wheels, better sound system, HUD, etc.......will we essentially get the Founders model without the Founders model badge of course? I rather use the $200,000 and put it in a good investment to make money rather than give $200,000 to Tesla for them to invest. That is why I only give them $50,000 for them to invest and put myself in a waiting list for the new Roadster.

In the end, I will probably pay close to the Founders model with all the upgrades that I will be doing to the base model.

So that means I can add in $50,000 to make it fully loaded to the base model? I do not care much about the "special badges". Not being off the production line may have an advantage of not getting early bugs to the car.

So that means I can add in $50,000 to make it fully loaded to the base model? I do not care much about the "special badges". Not being off the production line may have an advantage of not getting early bugs to the car.
If the Roadster follows the same path as the S and X, yes. Though I can't say for sure what the additional cost will be to match it in the normal production run (it may be less).

There is no way to know until Tesla releases the details. I seem to recall that Elon hinted that the specs listed are for the base version, so the Founders version may have an upgraded battery/powertrain, and there is no guarantee that it will be available as an option on the base car.

Founders Editions tend to have unique paint colors. Buying options to make it close to the founders edition will be close in price. When you sell, the Founders Editions tend to bring more money. Badging and special items are usually embargoed so you can not pass off yours as a Founders Edition.

The base model is supposed to match all the specs that have been listed so far. The Founders edition is said to be “fully optioned”. Beyond that we really don’t know anything else and can only extrapolate from what has happened with the S and X. I would expect at least one unique color choice for the Founders model, unique badging, possibly a unique interior option. Something has to account for the price differential to some degree. Being one of the first only goes so far...