Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you use key card only long term?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't see why not but would a key fob be a better option for them?

Also, if they are not using smartphones and the Tesla app, would they have issues with stuff like software updates, scheduling service, etc.?
Well, my wife and I are only 77, so probably not old, but neither of us have any problem with using the phone. Do they not have a phone? As for scheduling service, my comment is: "What service???" Software updates consist of touching the screen agreeing to the time of install, so not hard either. I would think that going to fill the car with gas and scheduling and oil change would be more of a challenge as anything they might have to do with a Tesla. As I recall from years and years ago, oil and filter changes happened every 5 - 10,000 miles, while I've owned two different Teslas for over 100,000 miles and never did ANY service, so I wonder what problems you are imagining. Scheduling can be done over the phone with a phone call, and updates just require leaving the car alone for a few minutes in the middle of the night.

A key fob still has to be carried in pocket or purse, can be lost or washed with the clothes, misplaced (like left in the car). It's not ideal for people who aren't used to carrying stuff with them, any more than a phone. Just my 50 cents' worth. As usual.

For ex, last week service recall from Tesla. Message on screen in MY. I guess you could try to schedule via something else other than the app, but good luck calling them and getting an answer. That never works at my SC. Can you even do service requests via web page account?

A key card is an RFID, it does not require a battery to work, can not be damaged by water, bending, etc. (you would have to snap it clean in half for it not to work).
A key fob requires batteries to work, can be damaged by water, etc...

For an elderly person, the clear choice would be a key card, as it has no batteries, it's hard to get damaged, it's more wear resistant (no buttons, no electronics, etc), and short of cutting the card in half, it'll always work (with that one caveat of if the RFID reader on the car isn't working, then well, yea, it's not going to work).

Agree with arguments for the phone and key card for sure - I use my phone and key card as a backup as do most I expect. As for the key fob, I've had many and I don't recall ever having to replace a battery or damaging them. On the other hand my phone has recently failed to unlock my MY many times (Apple issue according to other posts) which can be frustrating when I then I have to pry my key card out of my slim-type wallet, sometimes fumbling and dropping it while juggling other things I'm carrying. So I can see how older folks might be less dexterous while finding the MY sweet spot and dropping the key card under the car perhaps. A fob with a key chain of some sort might be easier to grip and keep track of. Just food for thought!

Of course now that I think of it you're probably some young punk who thinks I'm "older" at 59 so do as you damn well please! ;)

Last edited:
Agree with arguments for the phone and key card for sure - I use my phone and key card as a backup as do most I expect. As for the key fob, I've had many and I don't recall ever having to replace a battery or damaging them. On the other hand my phone has recently failed to unlock my MY many times (Apple issue according to other posts) which can be frustrating when I then I have to pry my key card out of my slim-type wallet, sometimes fumbling and dropping it while juggling other things I'm carrying. So I can see how older folks might be less dexterous while finding the MY sweet spot and dropping the key card under the car perhaps. A fob with a key chain of some sort might be easier to grip and keep track of. Just food for thought!

Of course now that I think of it you're probably some young punk who thinks I'm "older" at 59 so do as you damn well please! ;)
Only like 1 or 2 times recently has my phone failed to open the door when I pull the door handles... When that happened, I just tapped my phone on the B-pillar, and the doors unlocked. Didn't even need to have the tesla app open... Just had to unlock the phone, and tapped from the home screen... Once I figured this out, I actually always lock the doors this way too, since I don't want to wait for it to lock by itself, becuase sometimes it won't lock until I walk into a building.

Only like 1 or 2 times recently has my phone failed to open the door when I pull the door handles... When that happened, I just tapped my phone on the B-pillar, and the doors unlocked. Didn't even need to have the tesla app open... Just had to unlock the phone, and tapped from the home screen... Once I figured this out, I actually always lock the doors this way too, since I don't want to wait for it to lock by itself, becuase sometimes it won't lock until I walk into a building.
I saw you posted that earlier, found it interesting and meant to try it then promptly forgot! :)

I've had the phone not start the car several times too. While I could have used the app or Stats to start it I fished out my key card with a bit of cursing. Anyway, we have a few options so barring an asteroid strike I'm sure I can get into, start, and drive my car. I can still see how a fob might be handy for older (MUCH older mind you) folks who don't like smart phones and who's hands might not work as well. I recently bought an almost indestructible flip phone for my mother-in-law for that very reason and she's quite happy with it.

I saw you posted that earlier, found it interesting and meant to try it then promptly forgot! :)

I've had the phone not start the car several times too. While I could have used the app or Stats to start it I fished out my key card with a bit of cursing. Anyway, we have a few options so barring an asteroid strike I'm sure I can get into, start, and drive my car. I can still see how a fob might be handy for older (MUCH older mind you) folks who don't like smart phones and who's hands might not work as well. I recently bought an almost indestructible flip phone for my mother-in-law for that very reason and she's quite happy with it.
Do you have Pin to drive enabled? Just curious. I remember some people saying there is a timeout where you have to tap the center console if you don't start the car in time, but I have never seen that prompt before, but I also have Pin to drive enabled, so was curious if that is enabled if it never prompts to tap the center console to start the car.

Do you have Pin to drive enabled? Just curious. I remember some people saying there is a timeout where you have to tap the center console if you don't start the car in time, but I have never seen that prompt before, but I also have Pin to drive enabled, so was curious if that is enabled if it never prompts to tap the center console to start the car.
No I don't but that's an interesting thought I'll have to try it. Now that you mention it that's probably a good practice anyway.