Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you watch movies in the tesla with no internet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone,
Just curious if there was a way to watch a movie in the tesla while camping in the middle of no where.
Can you put movies on an SSD drive? How would you play them? Does netflix allow downloading in the car UI?
Any help appreciated!
Thank you!

AFAIK, you cannot download movies to the Tesla or play movies on the Tesla from an ssd. When I go camping I download movies to a tablet. Then I never watch them. IMO a tablet is much better for viewing movies when you're in the back in camp mode.

BTW: you will lose voice commands and a few other things when the car has no cell signal.

BTW-2: they make wrap-around sleep masks which block out all the light. These can be useful if you don't want to get up at the crack of dawn.

Upvote 0
I'd like to know this too.
I tried plugging in USB drive with movies n all of them show up on the list but only some have time (others just dashes) but any time i clicked on any it just freezes the player... i'm on MCU1 tho
Maybe someone could try on MCU2 n report...

Upvote 0
There are a lot of safety restrictions to playing any kind of video in the MCU via official sources (Netflix, YouTube, Sentry mode recordings and more) so I don't expect playing movies from any removable media to work.

I'm guessing decided they can control when videos will play from their sources only while in Park and they excluded all unknown source like removable media for safety reasons.

Upvote 0
Doubt this work but isn’t there Tesla Theater website that lets you access more streaming services than built into the car and I think different versions too. Perhaps some allow this.

You could also built a build some sort of WiFi streaming server system using proper hardware and something like Plex. Tesla would see it as a Wi-Fi point and you could go to a built in webpage to serve video to the Tesla. Sure it’s doable but completed and not cheap.

I just have a 13 in iPad tablet I got used for $300 and a cheap old 17” laptop from eBay that I use for watching downloaded movies for places with no Wi-Fi or cell access or where I had to pay for it or it’s too slow.

• Helpful
Reactions: JonB65
Upvote 0
Its a shame that such a techie car with huge media screen can't have such a simple option.
We're not asking for much, just to have a native player for those times u charge n stay in the car.
Pretty sure every Linux distro comes with native support. Tesla just decided to remove it probably...

My 2013 bmw could play movies from USB from factory n easily unlocked to have video in motion with just one bit change.
Save me the safety speech... in our world of distracted driving, this is the least of everyone's worries lol

FYI, browser solutions won't work for legacy MCU1, my browser still freezes or not loading anything, its useless...

Upvote 0
From what I understand, Tesla is installing Starlink receivers at some of their Superchargers. If this works out, they could stream via WiFi to our cars during charging. Tesla is installing much technology into our cars that are not yet connectable, but with this hardware installed they will be able to provide additional capabilities as technology improves.

Upvote 0
My 2013 bmw could play movies from USB from factory n easily unlocked to have video in motion with just one bit change.
Save me the safety speech... in our world of distracted driving, this is the least of everyone's worries lol

Ha. My old 2012 Audi A7 played movies from the dash Blu-ray or the stack DCD/CD in glovebox. Along with memory card or usb.

Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
From what I understand, Tesla is installing Starlink receivers at some of their Superchargers. If this works out, they could stream via WiFi to our cars during charging. Tesla is installing much technology into our cars that are not yet connectable, but with this hardware installed they will be able to provide additional capabilities as technology improves.

They are but I’m not sure how it’s being done. New ones built in the last few weeks month near me don’t have them. Some old ones I’ve seen it retrofitted.

Upvote 0