Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada - Are you guys mounting your front license plates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have not had front plates on any vehicle in 20+ years. I live in Texas, which does require two plates, in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I have even been stopped and ticketed for other offenses without receiving a "no front plate" citation. More than once. On one occasions, the officer walked up front to fill out my plate on the citation, saw the plate wasn't there, and walked around back to get the number. Still no extra citation.

I have no plans to run a front plate on my MS.

YMMV

I'm not quite sure why there is such an objection to adding a front plate, when it's required by law. Isn't this the same sort of attitude which we object to, as EV drivers, when charging spots are ICEd? "Hey, I can usually get away with it...")

My objection is: It looks horrible. I said above I haven't run a front in a long time... that's because most of the cars I drive don't really have a place to put one. Two examples: A Honda Del Sol in the 90 and early 2000s. A Chevy SSR now (photos below). On the SSR in particular, there is absolutely no place on that very curved front fascia to put a front plate. Some SSR drivers have purchased the powered underbody kits that put the plate flat (and out of sight) when parked and put it down (and visible) when the car is running. Being trucks, the SSR has the clearance to do that. Not an option for a Model S, too much drag!

As for the "no front plate" attitude vs. ICE-ed chargers: I try to live my life with enormous courtesy to others. I try to leave everyplace that I go better when I leave than when I arrived. And so forth. But follow every law in my town/county/state/country? No way, no how. WAY too many laws, way too many of them are totally silly. Perhaps some see that as a double standard; I do not.

I'd challenge almost anyone on this forum to obey every single law, all of the time. It would be VERY different to the way you live your life today, and exceptionally frustrating.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVmnQ9V_Y4geZfXoIkqOAXE0L1qNk0Wi9a85hC-YU7erj7j5a5.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTuLMeYyLhnRFK0Kniu98qGpiwna7w4G77UGgVv0yg1JNbo6Sc.jpg
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQQZEZdcZbxM5Hxw7kv905zJEpWxsqnXKj-8lmg45Qn0EwVmXmc1Q.jpg

No way! I never install the front plate. It's goes in my garage license plate shrine wall. I haven't gotten a ticket yet and would be happy to pay the measly 20USD fine, put it one, get it inspected and then take the darn thing right off. Ruins the look of the the front of just about every car worth having.

Of course, now that I have written this, it is only a matter of time...

I was issued a warning last week for driving without front license plate in Texas. I always had front license plate on my ICE cars but like most of you believe MS looks good without the front license plate.

Is it o.k to drive without front license plate after being issued a warning?

I dutifully got the front license plate bracket installed on my first MS when picking it up. Haven't been able to bring myself to getting that installed on my P85D and for that matter on our second EV (the VW e-Golf) either. Getting our special plates assigned to both cars next week and going to wing it :)

No front plate, despite it being required. I've kept it in the trunk and have planned on explaining that that Tesla has not yet released a bracket that doesn't require drilling.So far no issues in 21 months... despite one traffic stop and several times passing a LIDAR trap where the officer gave me a good hard look.I've heard that it's often parking enforcement in cities that will cite you... I don't drive in to DC much, so maybe that's helped.

After driving 6 months of being front plate free, I got pulled over in Bolton Ontario, no warning, just a +$100 ticket. It prompted me to purchase a bracket from Torklift Central called The Law. It easily mounts below the "nose" with no screws, and can easily be removed. (for photo ops :). I am very happy

I'm not quite sure why there is such an objection to adding a front plate, when it's required by law. Isn't this the same sort of attitude which we object to, as EV drivers, when charging spots are ICEd? "Hey, I can usually get away with it..."

I am going to go with the "but officer, these are green plates, and you know the extra drag that front plate puts on the vehicle, I thought green plates were exempt!", but yeah, point well taken, but I also exceed the speed limit on occasion as well vs occupying a space intended for others.

I'm not quite sure why there is such an objection to adding a front plate, when it's required by law. Isn't this the same sort of attitude which we object to, as EV drivers, when charging spots are ICEd? "Hey, I can usually get away with it..."

(Yes, I had the service centre install the license plate on the front. It may look better without it, but it doesn't bother me to have it there.)

I guess the problem I have with it is that it varies from province to province. When I grew up in Quebec, only the rear license plate was required. Some cars would put funny front license plates on (like "i would rather be flying") or no plate at all. Can anyone from Quebec confirm that the front plate is still not required? If so, all the Tesla's in Quebec will have to be in our photo ops! :smile:
I had my front plate put on when I took delivery.

I guess the problem I have with it is that it varies from province to province. When I grew up in Quebec, only the rear license plate was required. Some cars would put funny front license plates on (like "i would rather be flying") or no plate at all. Can anyone from Quebec confirm that the front plate is still not required? If so, all the Tesla's in Quebec will have to be in our photo ops! :smile:
I had my front plate put on when I took delivery.

Front plate is not required in Quebec. But the buggers will ticket you if you have Ontario plates and nothing on the front. Not kidding, SQ are (unprintable).

Also I'm going to add Canada in the thread name. Don't mind the US visitors but they probably don't realize they're in the Canada section (New Posts button).

Front plate is not required in Quebec. But the buggers will ticket you if you have Ontario plates and nothing on the front. Not kidding, SQ are (unprintable).

Also I'm going to add Canada in the thread name. Don't mind the US visitors but they probably don't realize they're in the Canada section (New Posts button).
Front plates also not required in Alberta... :)

I've had my P85D for just over a week, and don't have the front plate installed.

I drove up to Collingwood for the day today (from Toronto), and got stopped for it TWICE. The first time, on the way to Collingwood, just warranted a warning. The second stop (on the way home) got me a ticket. I tried explaining that I had been stopped and warned in the morning, but he didn't care.

Just bad luck, I guess.

I've had my P85D for just over a week, and don't have the front plate installed.

I drove up to Collingwood for the day today (from Toronto), and got stopped for it TWICE. The first time, on the way to Collingwood, just warranted a warning. The second stop (on the way home) got me a ticket. I tried explaining that I had been stopped and warned in the morning, but he didn't care.

Just bad luck, I guess.

You are the first one I heard of that got a ticket for not mounting the license plate. People have not mounted them in Toronto for a few years and never been caught.
(I did mount mine when I picked up my car even though I would have preferred not to.)

Was asked if I wanted it installed and told them go ahead. When I first moved to BC in another car, I got a "fix-it" warning (no ticket) within days for not having put a front one on. I think when the new owner gets my used S if they really want a clean nose cone they can buy one new. I can't imagine it being a deal breaker.

You are the first one I heard of that got a ticket for not mounting the license plate.

My friend was ticketed (non-Model S) when his front plate mounting bracket broke. He even had the plate sitting on his front dashboard. I believe he was able to get the ticket cancelled by showing up at the station with the plate properly affixed. (I had a ticket for a burned out tail light cancelled a few years ago when I showed up at the station with it fixed).

My friend was ticketed (non-Model S) when his front plate mounting bracket broke. He even had the plate sitting on his front dashboard. I believe he was able to get the ticket cancelled by showing up at the station with the plate properly affixed. (I had a ticket for a burned out tail light cancelled a few years ago when I showed up at the station with it fixed).

I'm waiting for the cops to pull me over for having a missing tailpipe!

LOL!