Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my Porsche Taycan Turbo test drive today, they can detail it and have on my drive in a week and a half. I'm sleeping on it but most likely will cancel my orders and revisit this in 2022.

I called Tesla Canada again today just to make sure I'm making a call on the latest information. I asked about my RN1147 that is showing Oct 16 - November 6. They told me that the car would most likely be December of January now. My RN1143 is AWOL.

They obviously know there are significant delays but are still reluctant to tell people the truth. This is either through incompetence or deceit there are no other avenues here. I have to think it's the latter now given they have sent a mea culpa email already and are still doing the same behaviour.

Last edited:
@Jons1234
@AMGF

While these delays are extremely stressful, and have issues with service and intermittent quality have been present for too long, the situation reminds me of similar ones on the investment thread. Many investors got fed up with Tesla quality / service issues, cashed out of the shares and didn't pursue planned purchases. In hindsight, many of them with they had stayed in and "put up" with the numerous frustrations with the company.

Extra food for thought before leaving Tesla ($TSLA or Plaid)
I concur, I'm long on $TSLA as I believe in their energy business. I've also had a great experience with them on my 2018 Model 3 Performance. However I believe in speaking with my dollars and they have made a mockery of customer service this year and I won't be rewarding them with north of $500k in purchases for that behaviour. If they had got the delivery estimate wrong once or twice I could handle it, they have done it repeatadly over the last 8 months and are actively doing it today... I called them and they told me Dec/Jan when my account has an estimate of Oct 17 - November 6.

• Informative
Reactions: AMGF
I concur, I'm long on $TSLA as I believe in their energy business. I've also had a great experience with them on my 2018 Model 3 Performance. However I believe in speaking with my dollars and they have made a mockery of customer service this year and I won't be rewarding them with north of $500k in purchases for that behaviour. If they had got the delivery estimate wrong once or twice I could handle it, they have done it repeatadly over the last 8 months and are actively doing it today... I called them and they told me Dec/Jan when my account has an estimate of Oct 17 - November 6.
West coast deliveries are expected mid to end of Sept. If those dates hold, then maybe the Ontario and Quebec dates will hold as well. We should know within a week if the dates get pushed out, or no VINs get assigned. Another data point for the decision.

Reactions: AMGF
I’m test driving a Taycan Turbo tomorrow. If I like it I’ll cancel my Model S orders this week and buy one from their inventory. This is a sh*t show and I’ll circle back around when Tesla fixes their integrity issue.
Test drove the regular and turbo S already. Staying with my plaid for the time being.
like to get your feedback as well.

Test drove the regular and turbo S already. Staying with my plaid for the time being.
like to get your feedback as well.
Thoughts - this one looks like the batmobile. Much more "presence" than my Model 3 Performance, getting back in the Model 3 felt like a tin can.

I know the build quality of the Model S has been dramatically improved but I can't imagine they have closed the gap -- TBC.

Missed the one foot driving with the Tesla initially but got used to fairly quickly.

I'm guessing here but:

Pros
  1. Build quality
  2. Build quality
  3. Handling - this one has rear wheel steering.
  4. Better looking (from a quality/road presence) than the Model 3 Performance and subjectively more unique than the refreshed Model S
  5. Giant giant ceramic brakes

Cons
  1. Software
  2. AC - We use dog mode a lot and often go into shops and leave the AC on so the car stays cool/hot <- I'd miss this.
  3. Mobile App
  4. Overall acceleration compared to the Model S Plaid but it was plenty quick enough (in the "fast" bucket with the Model 3 Performance)
  5. Range
  6. Charging infra (plus I've got 2x Tesla wall chargers so I'll need to buy a TeslaTap Mini)
I'm a techie so I worry about how much I'll hate the software.

The Porsche Code <- configurator
signal-2021-08-31-121027_001.jpeg

Last edited:
They obviously know there are significant delays but are still reluctant to tell people the truth. This is either through incompetence or deceit there are no other avenues here. I have to think it's the latter now given they have sent a mea culpa email already and are still doing the same behaviour.
Sorry, I need to vent a bit.
What “truth” are you talking about here? They’ve told you the truth that your car is delayed, and the local staff do not know why. What more do you want from them? They’re not telepaths, they’re not psychics, they’re not fortune tellers.
MAYBE the factory people in California know what’s causing delays, but I doubt it.
*shrug*
Be annoyed/disappointed if you want, I doubt anyone would say you can’t. You’ve got a reason to be, but blaming the local staff isn’t right. Maybe it’s Tesla’s fault, maybe it’s a supplier, we don’t know. Could Tesla do a better job communicating? Absolutely, but they can’t say everything they know publicly, mostly because its likely a clause in contracts Tesla is bound by. Possibly also by business practices.

Ok, that’s my mini-rant, feel free to disagree if you want to.

Sorry, I need to vent a bit.
What “truth” are you talking about here? They’ve told you the truth that your car is delayed, and the local staff do not know why. What more do you want from them? They’re not telepaths, they’re not psychics, they’re not fortune tellers.
MAYBE the factory people in California know what’s causing delays, but I doubt it.
*shrug*
Be annoyed/disappointed if you want, I doubt anyone would say you can’t. You’ve got a reason to be, but blaming the local staff isn’t right. Maybe it’s Tesla’s fault, maybe it’s a supplier, we don’t know. Could Tesla do a better job communicating? Absolutely, but they can’t say everything they know publicly, mostly because its likely a clause in contracts Tesla is bound by. Possibly also by business practices.

Ok, that’s my mini-rant, feel free to disagree if you want to.
Hang on. The factory obviously knows there's been a delay and it appears to be continuing, they already sent a mea culpa email for not updating people and then got straight back into misinforming us. I would have expected them to be super conservative with their estimates post delay email?

I understand that my account only shows an estimate. However I ordered on the 21st of December 2020, at any point they could have called me and told me that it was unlikely in 2021 and I would have made alternative plans. It's new tech, I get it. Just give me a realistic time frame.

"MAYBE the factory people in California know what’s causing delays, but I doubt it." <- The factory doesn't know whats causing the delays? The only item I'm annoyed/disapointed about is the fact that they do know why there's delays and they aren't effectively communicating with their field teams so they can inform us.

I do however agree with your point about blaming local staff and if you look at my posts I've never said anything against them and I've always been curtious on the phone with them. It's not their fault one bit, they don't have any information, all they do is just tell people +1 quarter every time you call.

I want to be clear, I'm a massive fan of Tesla and I have referred 3 sales their way as well as my purchases. This behaviour is just wearing a bit thin for me.

I'll shut up on the topic now. I hope you all get your cars this year and enjoy them!

Last edited:
After reading this info for the Model X: Most expensive electric vehicles on the road in 2021

Look at the release date. I really hope it's wrong.

March/April 2022?! Usually it's a full quarter later that deliveries start happening in Canada. Seriously, I don't give a rats behind what the excuse is, Tesla is doing a crap job of keeping customers in the loop and clearly went into this refresh clueless as to what they were doing. Will it be better in the long run - possibly. I'm seeing quality issues with the Model S refresh, randomness of priority with deliveries depending upon the configuration, and then to be hit with added costs.

Simply put, not impressed with Tesla at this point.

If true that your Oct 17- Nov 6 is pushed back to Dec/Jan this totally sucks and probably means I should expect to be delayed as well.

I just wish their EDD would be more precise. It’d make it easier for us to actually decide the best course of action.

Thoughts - this one looks like the batmobile. Much more "presence" than my Model 3 Performance, getting back in the Model 3 felt like a tin can.

I know the build quality of the Model S has been dramatically improved but I can't imagine they have closed the gap -- TBC.

Missed the one foot driving with the Tesla initially but got used to fairly quickly.

I'm guessing here but:

Pros
  1. Build quality
  2. Build quality
  3. Handling - this one has rear wheel steering.
  4. Better looking (from a quality/road presence) than the Model 3 Performance and subjectively more unique than the refreshed Model S
  5. Giant giant ceramic brakes

Cons
  1. Software
  2. AC - We use dog mode a lot and often go into shops and leave the AC on so the car stays cool/hot <- I'd miss this.
  3. Mobile App
  4. Overall acceleration compared to the Model S Plaid but it was plenty quick enough (in the "fast" bucket with the Model 3 Performance)
  5. Range
  6. Charging infra (plus I've got 2x Tesla wall chargers so I'll need to buy a TeslaTap Mini)
I'm a techie so I worry about how much I'll hate the software.

The Porsche Code <- configurator View attachment 703951
Good summary. I had several Pcars and other super cars and I am getting tired of too many buttons. Just my personal feel after years of driving. I am an early adopter and techie as well this is why software updates and minimalist approach appeal to me
I do agree that Tycan built quality was very nice (haven’t seen the new S yet so no comparison) but the software was very buggy and during the times I had it for a full day it froze on me several times. Was about to pull the trigger and buy it but while talking to the sales guy when I returned it froze again to a point that he had to send a technician come looking at it. Thought I wait until issues are sorted maybe by then Tesla has a delivery timeline that I can work with.