Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada Model S Plaid and LR orders and deliveries!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I went ahead and put an order for a MSLR today.
With my Plaid order that keeps being pushed further, I don't want to take a chance to have it delivered in 2022 and have to pay ~16,000$ in extra taxes. The LR will be the planB car should my Plaid arrive too late.

I still hate the ~4000$ in extra taxes for the LR (but the sting is more bearable). If there was an EV car with 600+km of range under 100,000km that's what I'd buy. I looked at ICE (M3/C63/Giulia), they are under 100k$, but they all are slower than the LR, and I know paying for fuel and maintenance will drive me nuts. The 4000$ extra lux tax I would pay on the LR is the cost of around 10months of fuel for these cars.

It's the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:
Well I went ahead and put a order for a MSLR today.
With my Plaid order that keeps being pushed further, I don't want to take a chance to have it delivered in 2022 and have to pay ~16,000$ in extra taxes. The LR will be the planB car should my Plaid arrive too late.

I still hate the ~4000$ in extra taxes for the LR (but the sting is more bearable). If there was an EV car with 600+km of range under 100,000km that's what I'd buy. I looked at ICE (M3/C63/Giulia), they are under 100k$, but they all are slower than the LR, and I know paying for fuel and maintenance will drive me nuts. The 4000$ extra lux tax I would pay on the LR is the cost of around 10months of fuel for these cars.

Whats your LR delivery date?

I want to avoid Tesla running another credit check for my second order so I chose cash payment.

If I click for cash payment, does anyone know if I can change it later when the car is close to be delivered? Should I just leave it as is or leaving as is will delay the delivery further down?

Attachments

• E224F1C2-253F-413F-91F5-FEC5012ACC76.png
    E224F1C2-253F-413F-91F5-FEC5012ACC76.png
    168.7 KB · Views: 50
I want to avoid Tesla running another credit check for my second order so I chose cash payment.

If I click for cash payment, does anyone know if I can change it later when the car is close to be delivered? Should I just leave it as is or leaving as is will delay the delivery further down?
Yes you can change it no problem did this couple times in the past dont worry. Just select cash.

Reactions: AMGF
Well I went ahead and put an order for a MSLR today.

Bite the bullet...the only other car that will bring the same level of joy is the Rimac Nevera!

Reactions: harry0226 and AMGF
Bite the bullet...the only other car that will bring the same level of joy is the Rimac Nevera!
Lux tax is a shame. The only reason I’ll pay it is because Tesla fumbles my delivery, AND because I have no truly good options under 100k$.

I even shopped for ICE cars all week as a planB. That’s how much I think this new tax is stupid and wanted to avoid paying it.

I’m just one guy and it won’t make a difference. But if everyone would do it, they would have no choice but to cancel it. If people keeps buying 100k+$ cars, what will stop them from increasing it to suck even more $ from us?

Reactions: sandman1330
Unfortunately, it's been confirmed that the Model S/X won't be getting the 4680s.
Yeah if the 4680 were about to be offered on the MS, they would simply have pushed the Plaid+ deliveries a bit further down the line, NOT cancelling the whole thing.

Why put these batteries in a 70k$ MY when you can put them in a 200k$ MS? Because you have no plans to put them in a MS is why.

Yeah if the 4680 were about to be offered on the MS, they would simply have pushed the Plaid+ deliveries a bit further down the line, NOT cancelling the whole thing.

Why put these batteries in a 70k$ MY when you can put them in a 200k$ MS? Because you have no plans to put them in a MS is why.
I'm on the fence on this one. If they've ramped up production of the cells, and there's supposed to be a cost savings, wouldn't it make sense to move the S/X to these? You'd get some lower volume production to see how the packs hold up before you roll it out to the cheaper cars, and you'd eliminate the older cell designs (unless they're still being used for storage in the Powerwalls). I know that part of the equation still boils down to chemistry, thermals, and engineering the packs to fit, but I thought that was the idea behind the refresh to begin with.

I'm on the fence on this one. If they've ramped up production of the cells, and there's supposed to be a cost savings, wouldn't it make sense to move the S/X to these? You'd get some lower volume production to see how the packs hold up before you roll it out to the cheaper cars, and you'd eliminate the older cell designs (unless they're still being used for storage in the Powerwalls). I know that part of the equation still boils down to chemistry, thermals, and engineering the packs to fit, but I thought that was the idea behind the refresh to begin with.
I agree that it made sense to have the 4680 in the MS/X first. I also thought the refresh S with the Plaid+ was gonna be the car to first get the 4680. But now that they didn’t and the Plaid+ Is canceled, what is the next possible strategy?

The CT, Semi, Roadster and the new MY all need the 4680, I dont think the MS 4680 will happen anytime soon. Otherwise they would have not canceled it.

From a sales and customer relations point of view it would be disastrous. Think about all the canceled Plaid+ owners that converted to Plaid. Most would be not only pissed, but would they really sell their Plaid at this point to get the Plaid+? That’s a lot of lost sales. Tesla would lose face. Owners would cry on forums. It would not look good on Tesla.

I’m sure Tesla will at some point put 4680 in the MS. But not before a couple years. Of course I could be wrong. I’m just going with what feels logical to me.

I agree that it made sense to have the 4680 in the MS/X first. I also thought the refresh S with the Plaid+ was gonna be the car to first get the 4680. But now that they didn’t and the Plaid+ Is canceled, what is the next possible strategy?

The CT, Semi, Roadster and the new MY all need the 4680, I dont think the MS 4680 will happen anytime soon. Otherwise they would have not canceled it.

From a sales and customer relations point of view it would be disastrous. Think about all the canceled Plaid+ owners that converted to Plaid. Most would be not only pissed, but would they really sell their Plaid at this point to get the Plaid+? That’s a lot of lost sales. Tesla would lose face. Owners would cry on forums. It would not look good on Tesla.

I’m sure Tesla will at some point put 4680 in the MS. But not before a couple years. Of course I could be wrong. I’m just going with what feels logical to me.
Really, I'm not in disagreement. I put the chances of it happening somewhere under "wishful thinking" but I also think that it actually makes more sense than the strategy Tesla has rolling forward.

So far as lost sales, I don't think Tesla is all that concerned at the moment. The whole refresh has been terribly executed from a planning perspective, 6 months of production lost on the S, and projecting about a year (if not more) on the X. I can't see they can lose much more face right now. In the past, people have cried foul whenever there's been changes anyway - from the nose cone in 2016, AutoPilot in 2016/7, Raven in 2018, numerous price changes, etc. Some of those who bought just before the changes were mad at missing out on the new stuff. Heck, what has happened even this year with the refresh - Plaid+ cancellation, random allocations of production, price increases and such. This is something Tesla has to improve upon - significantly. I couldn't imagine having put money down on the new Roadster for as long as it's been in the works.

Ys, your SA can change it easily. I did exactly the same and no issue.

Reactions: AMGF
Really, I'm not in disagreement. I put the chances of it happening somewhere under "wishful thinking" but I also think that it actually makes more sense than the strategy Tesla has rolling forward.

So far as lost sales, I don't think Tesla is all that concerned at the moment. The whole refresh has been terribly executed from a planning perspective, 6 months of production lost on the S, and projecting about a year (if not more) on the X. I can't see they can lose much more face right now. In the past, people have cried foul whenever there's been changes anyway - from the nose cone in 2016, AutoPilot in 2016/7, Raven in 2018, numerous price changes, etc. Some of those who bought just before the changes were mad at missing out on the new stuff. Heck, what has happened even this year with the refresh - Plaid+ cancellation, random allocations of production, price increases and such. This is something Tesla has to improve upon - significantly. I couldn't imagine having put money down on the new Roadster for as long as it's been in the works.
and...of course there'd be an article on it soon after this discussion... Tesla Model S Plaid battery pack shows that 18650 cell innovations are not over yet

Reactions: Vawlkus