Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Pricing and Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder, though, if Tesla could import the car without the battery (with no duty), and sell us the pack separately... and then the duty would only apply on the value of the pack? Okay... I'm grasping at straws here, but anything to save some $$$ on that darned duty!

You are not the first to suggest it. I'm pretty sure Tesla knows about that idea.

I wonder, though, if Tesla could import the car without the battery (with no duty), and sell us the pack separately... and then the duty would only apply on the value of the pack? Okay... I'm grasping at straws here, but anything to save some $$$ on that darned duty!

Could that require crash testing again in Canada? There must be some such onerous implication for Tesla to not have gone for it...

The options page isn't clear but I believe that if you want heated seats then textile is not an option in Canada either. It's just that leather seats are included in the base price.

The response I got from the Tesla didn't say that, they said the option is not currently available in the US. I would have expected them to say its not available in Canada either if that's the case. What I really expect is as pricing comes out worldwide its going to match Canada as tesla moves to 1 type of seat. Makes no sense that early-ish US buyers can't pay for it.

"As of January 1, 2002, at least 62.5 percent of a passenger car or light truck's net cost must be of value originating in North America. All other vehicles must reach 60 percent North American content to qualify for zero duty rates." - Page 10 - http://trade.gov/static/autos_report_tradebarriers2011.pdf

If the import duty is based on cost then yes it would seem that the 40kWh and possible the 60kWh could meet the content requirement. That said for Tesla it is probably simpler (or maybe even required) that the duty be applied to all models since we know the 85kWh does meet the requirements. Regardless we are one step closer to having the Model S in Canada.

I hear you. I really need the range, and going from 85kWh to 60 would be a bitter pill. I'll have to go back to my models of how and where I plan (need) to drive to see if I could swing it.
Run some of the 5 & 10 yr. model-to-model comparisons over at Teslarumors.com/teslanomics . Might help refine your POV on TCO .

So, I suppose I have convinced myself (thanks, TMC! :wink:), as psychologically difficult as it is to pay this much for a car. Although I just have to practice the line, "Well, in the US it starts at $49k with the tax credit". I was leaning towards maybe getting a pano roof, but now I really am not sure... convince me, people! :biggrin:
"I'm saving so much on fuel over the life of the car, with my trade-in it's almost free!"
That should gob-strike 'em!

Run some of the 5 & 10 yr. model-to-model comparisons over at Teslarumors.com/teslanomics . Might help refine your POV on TCO .

Thanks. I already have very good fuel cost data on my ICE cars (have recorded every drop of gas along with fuel price and odometer for many, many years) and, by virtue of working in the electric utility industry for over 33 years, a good understanding of electricity rates and costs.

If not for the Model S, I would likely be in the market for a CDN$60 - 70k (taxes included) vehicle. Audi A6 or A7, Cadillac CTS etc. The Model S with the options I like comes in at a bit over $102k (taxes included).

I've already calculated about $18k savings in fuel over 5 years (ICE gas costs minus Model S electricity costs), so that still leaves a $14 - 24k difference between what I "should" be spending over 5 years and what I "would" be spending on Model S. That's why I need to go back over the options list.

Thanks. I already have very good fuel cost data on my ICE cars (have recorded every drop of gas along with fuel price and odometer for many, many years) and, by virtue of working in the electric utility industry for over 33 years, a good understanding of electricity rates and costs.

If not for the Model S, I would likely be in the market for a CDN$60 - 70k (taxes included) vehicle. Audi A6 or A7, Cadillac CTS etc. The Model S with the options I like comes in at a bit over $102k (taxes included).

I've already calculated about $18k savings in fuel over 5 years (ICE gas costs minus Model S electricity costs), so that still leaves a $14 - 24k difference between what I "should" be spending over 5 years and what I "would" be spending on Model S. That's why I need to go back over the options list.
Heh. Sounds like you should collaborate with the site to refine their calcs! But I was more thinking along the lines of finding particular model comparisons.

I am relatively happy with the Canadian pricing. As others pointed out, the CAN/USA differential on my Roadster was way worse. I did notice that on the Canadian pricing site there is a note that says "Prices do not include Tesla Personal Delivery, Final Inspection, Prep and Coordination fee,license, insurance, registration, applicable taxes, levies, and fees or regionally required equipment, service, and charges.". This note is NOT present on the USA site. Not sure if it is a bug or if they already have Personal delivery and prep etc included in the USA pricing. Would make the gap worse if it is true.

One thing that does concern me is that when I put my order for a Signature (R8) I expected that this would go a long way to getting the car in my hands quicker. Currently they are just saying Late 2012 for both Signature and Regular! Doesn't sound promising but again, who knows what the reality is. I have sent an email to Tesla Canada asking for some clarification. Only a couple of months ago I was being told end of September for my R8 reservation number but Late 2012 for first deliveries ???? Grrrrr.

I was speaking to a Tesla rep today, and asked when I could expect to see my car (I am CDN Prod Res #343). I was told "early next year" and when I asked what that meant was told January or February.

It seems probable that some Production reservation holders earlier than me may actually see cars in 2012.

Mike

I am relatively happy with the Canadian pricing. As others pointed out, the CAN/USA differential on my Roadster was way worse. I did notice that on the Canadian pricing site there is a note that says "Prices do not include Tesla Personal Delivery, Final Inspection, Prep and Coordination fee,license, insurance, registration, applicable taxes, levies, and fees or regionally required equipment, service, and charges.". This note is NOT present on the USA site. Not sure if it is a bug or if they already have Personal delivery and prep etc included in the USA pricing. Would make the gap worse if it is true.

Someone somewhere posted a "Window Sticker" from a US Model S and it showed "Personal Delivery" $990; "Inspection, Prep and Coordination" $180

I was speaking with Hans today at the pop-up store in Toronto, and he said he's been getting a lot of grief over the CDN pricing. He says Tesla went to great lengths to try and get in under the duty being levied for "foreign content" and even explored separating the battery from the car. They feel badly that it turned out this way, and are trying to be as transparent as possible with their CDN pricing strategy.

One thing that does concern me is that when I put my order for a Signature (R8) I expected that this would go a long way to getting the car in my hands quicker. Currently they are just saying Late 2012 for both Signature and Regular! Doesn't sound promising but again, who knows what the reality is. I have sent an email to Tesla Canada asking for some clarification. Only a couple of months ago I was being told end of September for my R8 reservation number but Late 2012 for first deliveries ???? Grrrrr.

I am Prod reservation #343 and was told today that I would likely see the car in January or February (if I stick with the 85 kWh pack).

I was speaking to a Tesla rep today, and asked when I could expect to see my car (I am CDN Prod Res #343). I was told "early next year" and when I asked what that meant was told January or February.

It seems probable that some Production reservation holders earlier than me may actually see cars in 2012.

Mike

Hmmm, that is a little concerning, but they still seem to be expecting low numbered Sigs like KBF and me to make it this year. We shall see. Until they get the first 500 cars out (or not) by the end of September, I am still wary of any timing promises for Q4.