Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Signature discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So general production holders with options that are causing delays got an update today. Thanks to TMC we are learning about how to get onto the winter tire list. Without any official information other than a vague "before end of year" we are sitting in the dark once again. The holidays are coming up with people trying to plan family time let alone trying to set aside time in our schedules to plan for delivery. Some of us need guidance on financing so we can get the appropriate documents in order. All of this was to be covered with the notification email that was, to my understanding, be receiving within 30 days of delivery. Unless everyone has been quiet on this issue I don't believe any of us are getting any useful guidance out of Tesla reps at this point. From the My Tesla screen it appears my car is still somewhere in the factory but I can't tell when. I know they are working on building out the delivery process but once again it appears that non-US orders are left by the wayside to speculate on the next steps. Frustrating experience given that they are sitting on my $40k. I can't think that it would take much to send an email to the less than 200 of us to let us know that they are planning delivery events for week x to y, that financing is being handled by Scotiabank and that they will be letting us know on day z about how to apply for that and that the cars are off the line.

It's highly likely at this point that at least some CDN Signature cars are in transit as we speak, but I doubt we'll hear much more until the car is pretty much ready to be delivered.

I sure hope so, but it seems like our friends south of the border are getting a more hands-on delivery approach where they get notified about the vehicle being in transit. If I went by the My Tesla site I'd be wondering why "the Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature" still. I'm sure I'll forget all of this once the car arrives, but by way of feedback the Canadian office has to know that saying nothing puts customers who need to coordinate other things around this at a disadvantage.

UPDATE: Based on JoshG's post it's equally as likely that Canadian Signatures are still sitting at the factory.

Last edited:
So general production holders with options that are causing delays got an update today. Thanks to TMC we are learning about how to get onto the winter tire list. Without any official information other than a vague "before end of year" we are sitting in the dark once again. The holidays are coming up with people trying to plan family time let alone trying to set aside time in our schedules to plan for delivery. Some of us need guidance on financing so we can get the appropriate documents in order. All of this was to be covered with the notification email that was, to my understanding, be receiving within 30 days of delivery. Unless everyone has been quiet on this issue I don't believe any of us are getting any useful guidance out of Tesla reps at this point. From the My Tesla screen it appears my car is still somewhere in the factory but I can't tell when. I know they are working on building out the delivery process but once again it appears that non-US orders are left by the wayside to speculate on the next steps. Frustrating experience given that they are sitting on my $40k. I can't think that it would take much to send an email to the less than 200 of us to let us know that they are planning delivery events for week x to y, that financing is being handled by Scotiabank and that they will be letting us know on day z about how to apply for that and that the cars are off the line.

I really find it unacceptable that there is no guidance or paperwork started for Scotia financing (That Tesla Canada obviously has pre-negotiated and should have under control) even though I have sent numerous emails to the Toronto office. I have not even had a polite response and this, so close to a supposed delivery! As you said, with the holidays coming around and trips planned etc, this is a recipe for disaster. It could so easily be fixed. I just don't get it!

Don't sweat it Colin...Roadster owners rarely received any updates by way of their "my tesla" page being updated in a timely manner either...and I'm sure that TM is far busier today then they were a few years ago.

Speaking from experience (a few hours of sleep / night over a 12 week period whilst waiting for my Roadster), you will, as you said, forget about this once your car has arrived...it's well worth the wait...

I sure hope so, but it seems like our friends south of the border are getting a more hands-on delivery approach where they get notified about the vehicle being in transit. If I went by the My Tesla site I'd be wondering why "the Tesla Factory is building your Model S Signature" still. I'm sure I'll forget all of this once the car arrives, but by way of feedback the Canadian office has to know that saying nothing puts customers who need to coordinate other things around this at a disadvantage.

UPDATE: Based on JoshG's post it's equally as likely that Canadian Signatures are still sitting at the factory.

That doesn't seem right. I own a couple of cars worth more than the Tesla and I don't pay that much to ICBC. What deductables are you using?

I can't see how the model S is even in ICBC's system yet since the car hasn't yet been registered by anyone in BC. Perhaps they quoted you for something else.

Last edited:
Tesla apparently will have more delivery info by/at the end of the week. They are working through details for registering in each province, which all have specific requirements. I really hope they will keep an option for "delivery anywhere" as I'll be at the cabin for a week during New Years' (though I'm still hoping for pre-Christmas arrival). For those who really want more info, maybe give them until the weekend before bombarding them with emails; I don't think you'll get answers much sooner than that anyway. I half-expect to have the final MVPA and delivery happen within a week of each other... We won't see 30 days.

Last edited:
Stopped by Toronto service today to see if they have any more info before I renew the plate stickers on my car (or stand in line at MTO to find out if I can get a one month extension). They have no additional insight beyond "targeting December". At this point they are on standby to work through to the new year at 7 days a week with only the 25/26th off. They are expecting to do delivery at the service center as an option. Looking like we can write off next week as a potential delivery window.

"They" need to add the car to "their system" in advance of the car being delivered in order to be able to insure it as soon as it's delivered (Ontario added the Model S to their "system" a few months ago)...we'd all be upset about an insurance administration delay keeping us from driving our vehicles, wouldn't we? :wink:

The overall cost of the car is not the only rating factor used...the Vehicle Information Center of Canada (VICC) denotes 3 rate groups per vehicle...passenger safety / cost of repair / frequency of claim...this is a far more accurate way of determining the insurance characteristics of a vehicle than using the old method (cost of the vehicle)

Deductibles, driving records, past claims experience, territory driven in also all affect the overall premium.

It is really not possible to compare quotes for the Model S from Province to Province as each Province's insurance schemes can and are different...sometimes, vastly so...some Provinces offer minimal coverage with highly restrictive provisions, others offer Cadillac style products with higher basee prices...

That doesn't seem right. I own a couple of cars worth more than the Tesla and I don't pay that much to ICBC. What deductables are you using?

I can't see how the model S is even in ICBC's system yet since the car hasn't yet been registered by anyone in BC. Perhaps they quoted you for something else.

"They" need to add the car to "their system" in advance of the car being delivered in order to be able to insure it as soon as it's delivered (Ontario added the Model S to their "system" a few months ago)...we'd all be upset about an insurance administration delay keeping us from driving our vehicles, wouldn't we? :wink:

The overall cost of the car is not the only rating factor used...the Vehicle Information Center of Canada (VICC) denotes 3 rate groups per vehicle...passenger safety / cost of repair / frequency of claim...this is a far more accurate way of determining the insurance characteristics of a vehicle than using the old method (cost of the vehicle)

Deductibles, driving records, past claims experience, territory driven in also all affect the overall premium.

It is really not possible to compare quotes for the Model S from Province to Province as each Province's insurance schemes can and are different...sometimes, vastly so...some Provinces offer minimal coverage with highly restrictive provisions, others offer Cadillac style products with higher basee prices...

If a vehicle is not yet entered into ICBC's system and a rating category assigned then what they do is estimate the premium based on a similar class/cost of vehicle and then provide you insurance. Once the vehicle has been assigned at rate class they then either refund or assess the difference in premium. In any event you do not need to wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Stopped by Toronto service today to see if they have any more info before I renew the plate stickers on my car (or stand in line at MTO to find out if I can get a one month extension). They have no additional insight beyond "targeting December". At this point they are on standby to work through to the new year at 7 days a week with only the 25/26th off. They are expecting to do delivery at the service center as an option. Looking like we can write off next week as a potential delivery window.

I admire Tesla's willingness to work 7 days a week for us. Unfortunately Government and 3rd parties like shipping companies do not. I would love to have my car by year end but if they are still sitting in California waiting for the Government to figure out where stickers go then we won't be seeing them before January in my opinion.

I admire Tesla's willingness to work 7 days a week for us. Unfortunately Government and 3rd parties like shipping companies do not. I would love to have my car by year end but if they are still sitting in California waiting for the Government to figure out where stickers go then we won't be seeing them before January in my opinion.

Bang on. Without Canadian/provincial government hangups, some of us would already have our cars. Tesla employees would love to be delivering to Canada already. I suppose one could fault Tesla for underestimating the bloatiness of Canadian bureaucracy. And you can bet if everything isn't done soon our civil "servants" will be taking nice big seasonal vacations.

Disclaimer: I know at least two gov't employees who don't want to be lazy, lest I paint them all with the same brush ;)

Tesla apparently will have more delivery info by/at the end of the week. They are working through details for registering in each province, which all have specific requirements. I really hope they will keep an option for "delivery anywhere" as I'll be at the cabin for a week during New Years' (though I'm still hoping for pre-Christmas arrival).
For Alberta, all I need is a Bill of Sale and a New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS) card.
I'll do my own registration. No one asks to "see" the car.
Is it any different in other provinces ? No extra effort from TESLA required to arrange my registration.

Just got this insurance quote on-line.
TELSA Insurance Quote.JPG

Last edited:
Just got my Delivery Form to fill in email (now completed)... Was told hopefully by the end of Dec/12???

Expect to get details soon. Was able to select Pick-Up OR Delivery to Address (selected home)

So who knows... Maybe soon? Will keep you posted.

CDN Sig Res #146 / S/N 2101