Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled order because of Musk's behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cancelled my Model Y AWD order today. I was all registered to pay in cash for my blue AWD. But Musk's re-opening the Fremont plant in deliberate open defiance of the Alameda County government was the final straw for me.

Whether we should re-open our economy sooner or later is a legitimate debate. But unfortunately, this is a moment when security guards are getting shot for asking shoppers to wear masks and armed protestors are blockading government building and posting on Facebook about how they want to kill the governor of Michigan. Clearly, the rhetoric over Covid-19 is getting way out of control.

By crying "fascism" in public forums and flouting government regulations in some misguided, deliberate effort to appear tough, Musk is adding more fuel to the fire: more senseless politicization of the pandemic, more hyperbolic rhetoric that many Americans view as a justification for violence.

The Alameda County government was acting in good faith, and we have no reason not to believe their representative, who said that a deal for re-opening was just days from being reached. There was no reason for Musk to undermine these discussions by acting like such a jackass--unless an infantile public relations stunt is more important to him than all else.

I hope Musk comes to his senses and realizes why large company CEOs avoid this kind of stupid grandstanding. Amid a global pandemic, Musk's "maverick entrepreneur" shtick is less charming than dangerous, and it is putting American lives at risk.

The Alameda County government was acting in good faith, and we have no reason not to believe their representative, who said that a deal for re-opening was just days from being reached.
Nobody said that. Had you listen to the call on Friday, you would know there was no timeline to allow reopening.
It is all due to one's person's decision:
I wrote to the Alameda supervisors on Saturday morning and to my surprise I got a response today. Sharing that and my response to their response for anyone interested:

Sent: Saturday, May 9, 2020 11:11 AM
To: District 1 Mailbox Supervisor Scott Haggerty <[email protected]>
Subject: Please proceed to Phase 2 now

Comments:

Clearly the threat of the healthcare system being overwhelmed is over. That was the reason to flatten the curve. Your insistence delaying Phase 2 is unreasonable. Please consider revising your guidelines immediately.

Wilson, Shawn, BOS Dist 1 <[email protected]>
8:34 AM (2 hours ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

Hi Jack
The County Board of Supervisors do not "Revise" the Health Order. That is actually done by the Alameda County Health Officer Dr. Erica Pan. We continue to try and push for loosening of the restrictions to get all employees back to work but in some industries like construction we have been successful but in others such as "manufacturing" we have not. We will continue to push to get people back to work!

10:25 AM (17 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to Shawn,
cleardot.gif

Why thank you for your response! I wish you luck with your push to further loosen Alameda's restrictions but I think you should consider 'pushing' Dr. Pan out of her current role.

Do you really think it is wise to allow such important decisions to rest in the hands of one person? Governor Newsom and the State's team led by Tom Steyer have a great range of expertise and experience and they are following science to determine what is reasonably safe. You are contradicting them based on one person's opinion. If Alameda was some kind of hotspot for Covid spread it would be understandable to be stricter than the State but it is most certainly not. If your hospitals were stretched to the limit it would be justifiable but again, they are not.

I am a Tesla shareholder but more than that I am a devoted environmentalist. Tesla is not just the biggest manufacturer in California, they are doing the most of any company in the world to push the transition from a polluting a fossil fuel economy to a sustainable one. I am a Tesla shareholder because I want to be a part of furthering this essential transition. I think those concerned about the environment would have classified Tesla as an essential business from the start.

Most of all I am a proud Californian. I am proud to have what I consider the greatest company on earth headquartered right here in our state. Please do not let one person jeopardize this treasure of ours.

No reply is necessary. I appreciate having my voice heard and I hope considered.

I cancelled my Model Y AWD order today. I was all registered to pay in cash for my blue AWD. But Musk's re-opening the Fremont plant in deliberate open defiance of the Alameda County government was the final straw for me.

Whether we should re-open our economy sooner or later is a legitimate debate. But unfortunately, this is a moment when security guards are getting shot for asking shoppers to wear masks and armed protestors are blockading government building and posting on Facebook about how they want to kill the governor of Michigan. Clearly, the rhetoric over Covid-19 is getting way out of control.

By crying "fascism" in public forums and flouting government regulations in some misguided, deliberate effort to appear tough, Musk is adding more fuel to the fire: more senseless politicization of the pandemic, more hyperbolic rhetoric that many Americans view as a justification for violence.

The Alameda County government was acting in good faith, and we have no reason not to believe their representative, who said that a deal for re-opening was just days from being reached. There was no reason for Musk to undermine these discussions by acting like such a jackass--unless an infantile public relations stunt is more important to him than all else.

I hope Musk comes to his senses and realizes why large company CEOs avoid this kind of stupid grandstanding. Amid a global pandemic, Musk's "maverick entrepreneur" shtick is less charming than dangerous, and it is putting American lives at risk.

Yeah, it was really a depressing “idiot billionaire” kind of move. I’ll be in the market for a new car next year (or the following year given the pandemic), but Musk going anti-science, anti-public health is pretty damaging to the Tesla brand. He has the money to wait another week for approval of an operational plan and he could be paying his workers for the sick leave they deserve, but he chooses instead to go on a Trumpian rampage. He will reward his workers soon enough with layoffs.

Yeah, it was really a depressing “idiot billionaire” kind of move. I’ll be in the market for a new car next year (or the following year given the pandemic), but Musk going anti-science, anti-public health is pretty damaging to the Tesla brand. He has the money to wait another week for approval of an operational plan and he could be paying his workers for the sick leave they deserve, but he chooses instead to go on a Trumpian rampage. He will reward his workers soon enough with layoffs.

Yeah the anti-science, anti-public health CEO of a company that kick started a revolution in an industry highly resistant to change that is addressing a highly critical need for altering our trajectory on climate change and pioneering full self driving automation for an industry that sees thousands of deaths every single day. (automobile accidents)

Consider the impact these shut downs and the public fears are going to have on the Healthcare system as a whole. Consider freakonomic perspectives. Volume down, unemployment up, payors down, preventative care neglected, facilities financially insolvent, access to care reduced, etc and there are long term, ancillary impacts that absolutely will cost people lives. The overall scope of course of currently unknown.

Cancel culture entirely too quick to dismiss. Look at the big picture.

Voting with your pocketbook takes courage, especially with something like a Model Y. Good on ya. I'm deeply dismayed by Elon's meddling in public health and social issues too. It's like he has been infected with the same Celebrity-itis that so many in Hollywood get. They think because they're famous, their opinions (especially the ignorant ones) are especially valuable. Elon: Let's stick with making cool toys and blowing stuff up. It's what you're good at.

We (U.S.) currently have a higher rate of confirmed cases per million population than anyone except Spain, Ireland and Belgium. We are opening up and seeing additional spiking already. California has done a good job of keeping the lid on and hospitals running due to shelter in place. So good, in fact, that so many people have remained unaffected that they feel free to claim their liberties have been trampled and their schedules have been disrupted, instead of mourning lost loved ones.

Here's news, guys, Covid-19 doesn't give the tiniest little *sugar* about your liberties or schedules.

[Moderator note: There was a report that the statistics were false. I found the statement to be accurate and added a link which contains data supplied by Johns Hopkins.]

Here's news, guys, Covid-19 doesn't give the tiniest little *sugar* about your liberties or schedules.

Exactly, so why does it matter if manufacturing opens right now, or in 2 weeks? From the virus perspective, it doesn't matter at all. It will "get yah" in two weeks just the same as it will now. On the other hand 2 more weeks of no pay is rough on employees who might be struggling to feed their family right now. 2 more weeks for Tesla is a ton of revenue lost.

If they can open safely right now (which they have proven they can in china, and their other manufacturing sites in the US), then there is no reason to wait longer.

I firmly stand in support of Elon Musk. Fascism is the correct diagnosis of the current state of affairs in the California government. They should not be allowed to force their infantile treatment of this man-made virus on us or corporations. They can provide guidance and education, but that is all. I am anti democrat and anti republican - they have both made a mess of our current government and it is time to send them all home with their tails between their legs. It is time to wake up and see what is happening. We should stand united against this tyranny. You should change your mind and buy this amazing vehicle that is the result of people like me voting with our pocketbook and buying the expensive vehicles that came before. If only more of us would stand up and protect our freedoms...

Brent

You're certainly free to express your opinion, and vote with your feet. Which I have no issue with.

I am curious to know what other vehicle will you purchase instead? There are other small-scale EV manufacturers, such as Audi with their e-Tron, or Volvo with the XC40 Recharge coming soon.

Or are you going to go for a gasoline "fueled" midsize SUV? Is that company, that you have chosen over Tesla, opening their factory? And if so, is it worth choosing a gasoline fueled "polluter" rather than a zero tailpipe emission vehicle. (I understand the issues with power sources). Also one without the advances that Tesla is making in Autonomous Driving.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Thx

Reactions: msm859 and mberta74
Wow. What an amazing sacrifice.
I'm sure that waiting one more week would have made all the difference in COVID spread.
Or maybe, just maybe, it was sloth-paced, Elon-hating bureaucrats standing their ground?
Regardless, there are many waiting who will appreciate you freeing up your Y.
Lots of used Nissan Leafs available at great prices.
I'm sure you will be much happier with one of those.
So, how do you contribute to the world?

He’s kind of going Full McAfee.
Robin

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: AndreN and cgiGuy

I am sure there are a lot more people that did the same as you.