Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled order because of Musk's behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My post seems to have struck a nerve, based on the hostility in many of the responses. Many of folks replying seem to almost be taking it personally. Why the defensiveness? Does admiring Tesla vehicles mean that you have to be blindly obedient to everything the CEO says and take offense at anyone who disagrees with him?

I'm sure many Tesla fans are not comfortable with the stuff Musk has been ranting about lately. Yes, many won't go so far as to cancel their orders, but they might still object to what he's been saying. In my case, since I don't really even need a new car and was just buying it because it was something that seemed fun, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to give it up. It's possible Musk will make amends and stop acting like such a jackass (it would be good business for him to do so), so who knows, I can always re-visit this in the future.
Well I hope you didn't think my post was rude. After reading it a day later, it didn't seem to come across as the sarcastic humor I intended, instead of sounding rude. Agree, some people take it personally. Just to say that I don't put any thought into buying or not buying a product because of what a senior executive says. To me, just Elon's opinion and I may or may not agree with it. What some people think are Jackass statements, others will think it is great to stand up for what he believes. I'm sure there are days that we have all been a jackass to some degree. :) Best of luck on what you decide to buy. I'm sticking with Tesla. Love it regardless of what Elon says.

Reactions: msm859
My post seems to have struck a nerve, based on the hostility in many of the responses. Many of folks replying seem to almost be taking it personally. Why the defensiveness? Does admiring Tesla vehicles mean that you have to be blindly obedient to everything the CEO says and take offense at anyone who disagrees with him?

I'm sure many Tesla fans are not comfortable with the stuff Musk has been ranting about lately. Yes, many won't go so far as to cancel their orders, but they might still object to what he's been saying. In my case, since I don't really even need a new car and was just buying it because it was something that seemed fun, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to give it up. It's possible Musk will make amends and stop acting like such a jackass (it would be good business for him to do so), so who knows, I can always re-visit this in the future.

I believe in your purpose! I won't buy a Toyota because they opened their factory last Monday.

Elon Musk is insane. Then again, sane people don't get up in the morning and say "Hmmm, I think I'll start a car company today."

Steve Jobs was a notorious jerk. Honestly I doubt there's a single CEO I would enjoy having over for bbq and beer (well, maybe Richard Branson). To operate at that level, you've basically gotta be nuts, and a bit of a prick. So I do try to practice values-based purchasing, but if I boycotted every company with a CEO I didn't like, I'd be living on a farm in PA making furniture and driving a horse-drawn buggy.

I rather admire the civil disobedience of reopening the plant and challenging the status-quo. But that's only if the workers are getting adequate protection. Worker safety is paramount.

How Deere, Caterpillar kept plants running during the coronavirus outbreak

Reactions: SDRick
So how long should Businesses be closed. 6 months 9 months. Some Businesses will never reopen. People need to get back to work. Business owners still have insurance payments to make. Taxes to pay. Mortgages and rent to pay. Imagine you own an Apartment complex with 100 people living in it. None of them are working How long could you carry the complex? You have land taxes to pay. Insurance and maintenance of the complex. You are loosing 80,000 to 100,000 dollars a month. How long would it take to use up the reserve cash.

Reactions: CTM31991
Every wonder why they didn't shutter construction businesses? Most the CA legislators are in real estate investment.

Let's see .. or it could be that construction workers work mostly outside in the open air which lowers the transmission rate dramatically? Especially in areas where there is ample sunlight (UV incapacitates the virus) .. places like, er, California!

Let's see .. or it could be that construction workers work mostly outside in the open air which lowers the transmission rate dramatically? Especially in areas where there is ample sunlight (UV incapacitates the virus) .. places like, er, California!

In California, Latinos are now over 50% of the cases and climbing. Manuel Labor is not the President of Mexico, but he does have a friend at Home Depot. ie - Construction day laborers are spreading the virus like a wildfire.

If you're healthy, you will be fine. This lock down will end up killing more healthy people than the virus. New York 4-14 stats.

Annotation 2020-05-14 193930.jpeg

U.S. COVID-19 death rate by state | Statista
Deaths per 100k of population and NY is up to 140 Wisconsin on is up to 7.

ok, so we are talking about different things. But death rates per head of population is simply a reflection of how well isolation is working. So using such figures is hardly an argument against isolation. It's the "meat inspector" argument: we should stop paying the USDA to inspect meat since hardly anyone dies of contaminated meat .. but the reason they dont is because the meat is being inspected.

Your argument (perhaps not intensionally) seems to be "As a result of isolation, infection rates of COVID are low, therefore isolation is a waste of time". Hmmmm.

Reactions: CyberGus
Why is Michigan locked down to include mowing grass?

Nonsense, cutting grass is essential summer activity. In Michigan we broke 60 degrees today, so it’s started. You can cut grass or pay people to cut grass. In Michigan, some retail, all bars and all restaurants are still closed. Golf courses with restrictions. I’m staying home until the bars with outdoor seating open up.

Historically every pandemic since the Black Plague has had worse second wave of infection. It is likely this time we will as well. With luck, a vaccine before the third wave.

If you're healthy, you will be fine.

Initially, you might get lucky and not die. But we don’t know the long term damage caused by covid-19. Some kids get heart damage from inflammation, there is organ damage to kidneys, nervous system, arteries and heart. You could have a stroke in a year or two. Surviving the initial damage of a novel virus, does not mean you are 100% recovered. We don’t know.

Reactions: N5329K