Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Y Reservation for S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I finally cancelled my MYP+ order (reserved since Nov '19) since the Long Range S dropped in price by $5k albeit no more unlimited supercharging. I might be shooting myself in the foot here and may regret not having the extra cargo space... But that extra range, air suspension, heated steering wheel, hatchback style are design are too much to pass up. Anyone else here contemplating on making the switch?

After driving both and now owning a Y, not sure I would go for a LR S.. its about $10k more (compared to a performance Y). Best thing obviously is the extra 100 miles of range. The S is a bulky car with not much more in the means of room inside. It was harder to fit in my garage yet I felt like the Y had more room inside, especially the rear seats. Also much prefer the more upright seating in the Y, being 6'2" the seats in the Y are just much much better. At the end of the day it really comes down to do you prefer a car or a CUV I think. Each serves a different purpose. With young kids, car seats, traveling around places, the Y just still makes more sense for my needs, but everyone's different :)

Now an X.. that would be more of an option I feel.. $75k for a LR model, skip the Auto Pilot maybe.... that is interesting.

Yeah that's good point @Kuro Houou. I've questioned if the S might be too big, especially for tighter lanes and city parking. I currently drive a compact SUV and my wife has a small compact car, and I agree that they serve a different purpose, but I think there's a lot of crossover between the two, or at least more than the Y vs 3.

That being said, I'm sure most Y owners are very satisfied with their purchase and persuade me into getting the standard versions down the road if the budget opens up. Personally, I couldn't make up my mind on getting the perf plus or standard so I'm glad I don't have to think about that anymore... Unless I change my mind again, which is likely going to happen.

Yeah that's good point @Kuro Houou. I've questioned if the S might be too big, especially for tighter lanes and city parking. I currently drive a compact SUV and my wife has a small compact car, and I agree that they serve a different purpose, but I think there's a lot of crossover between the two, or at least more than the Y vs 3.

That being said, I'm sure most Y owners are very satisfied with their purchase and persuade me into getting the standard versions down the road if the budget opens up. Personally, I couldn't make up my mind on getting the perf plus or standard so I'm glad I don't have to think about that anymore... Unless I change my mind again, which is likely going to happen.

Curious why you don't consider an X.. I know its 5K more then an S.. but I feel like if you wanted a Y you wanted the extra room inside or had a need for a taller car, like I said for me its kids. Just curious what you thought?

Curious why you don't consider an X.. I know its 5K more then an S.. but I feel like if you wanted a Y you wanted the extra room inside or had a need for a taller car, like I said for me its kids. Just curious what you thought?

Mostly because of the budget. My wife and I are on the shorter side and the budget was originally $70k ($61K for MYP w/out FSD + PPF, all season tires, etc. I'm also trading in a car that covers taxes and a small portion. I'd be willing to go up $5k for the S. The S would have enough room for us, but the seating position is something that I might miss in the Y.

I found the MS seats not supportive, the car was way too low, and felt crowded in the front seat compared to a M3 (screen crowded my knee). The ride is smooth, but disconnected, and it is much, much harder to enter and exit. The M3 just was more comfortable and fun to drive. I dont like being low, thus my MY order.

Make sure you test drive one - it sure changed my mind. I was sure I wanted the MS before my test drive.

It may sound silly, but I drink coffee from my travel mug every day going to work. The MS cupholders in the arm rests require someone with very short forearms (arm hits seat well before my hand can reach the mug) and the afterthought cupholders in the console are way low and a stretch to reach.

Last edited:
I'm glad Tesla lowered Model S/X price by $5k. I had Model S for about 5 years and about 6 wks with Model Y. I found Model S/X pricing are too high for what they offer vs 3/Y. To me, I was debating between X or Y and settled with Y because X doesn't fit in my small garage and I can't justify paying almost twice as much for Model X. Even today, I believe Model S/X only offer MCU 2.0. Tesla really need to upgrade them to make them attractive again.

Last edited:
I found the MS seats not supportive, the car was way too low, and felt crowded in the front seat compared to a M3 (screen crowded my knee). The ride is smooth, but disconnected, and it is much, much harder to enter and exit. The M3 just was more comfortable and fun to drive. I dont like being low, thus my MY order.

Make sure you test drive one - it sure changed my mind. I was sure I wanted the MS before my test drive.

It may sound silly, but I drink coffee from my travel mug every day going to work. The MS cupholders in the arm rests require someone with very short forearms (arm hits seat well before my hand can reach the mug) and the afterthought cupholders in the console are way low and a stretch to reach.

Thanks for the tip MY-Y. Yes my neighboring friend is an engineer on one of Tesla's regenerative teams (not sure if they have multiple teams) so I've had the fortune to sit in all the tester vehicles including the Y before it was released since he works on them from home in our shared apt garage. My mother in law has the 3 long range and I have no problems with that vehicle whatsoever. The Model Y felt very nice too although we didn't go on the freeway. I was recently in the S and thought I was sitting on clouds, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. I didn't have any complaints about the cushioning in the S but I suppose that's a subjective topic.

I had an X and S, now own a 3 and Y.
The S and X had so many issues, I was not able to enjoy them.
The S is huge but not enough room inside, is just bulky.
The X has falcon wing doors that rub against the door jam and peels the paint off and it vibrates due to using the S drivetrain.

inhave yet to have any issues with the model 3 and Y, so far satisfied moving from S and X to 3 and Y

Thanks for the tip MY-Y. Yes my neighboring friend is an engineer on one of Tesla's regenerative teams (not sure if they have multiple teams) so I've had the fortune to sit in all the tester vehicles including the Y before it was released since he works on them from home in our shared apt garage. My mother in law has the 3 long range and I have no problems with that vehicle whatsoever. The Model Y felt very nice too although we didn't go on the freeway. I was recently in the S and thought I was sitting on clouds, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. I didn't have any complaints about the cushioning in the S but I suppose that's a subjective topic.
The MS seats felt nice to me overall, but weren't supportive when driving. A sofa feels good, but I don't want one in my car.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
I ended up scheduling a test drive of an X for this weekend to see if I like it or not. Hoping they have a Y as well to look at or drive too. I had to turn in my lease last week and it’s made me more anxious waiting for my black on black Y to be built! With the price changes, the X is more tempting now.

Have you checked insurance cost on S vs Y? The S would cost an extra $500/year for me. That's something else to consider.

If the S gets an interior update and same charging capabilities as the 3/Y, then I'll take another look at it. For now I'm still looking to get the Y.

Have you checked insurance cost on S vs Y? The S would cost an extra $500/year for me. That's something else to consider.

If the S gets an interior update and same charging capabilities as the 3/Y, then I'll take another look at it. For now I'm still looking to get the Y.

For State Farm MD, lots of discounts... the M3/MY was about $1000/year and the MS was about $1500. Interestingly, the performance was just a few dollars more than the AWD. Good thing as my upcoming MY AWD has a perforlance VIN.

On a related note, I'm saving $68/year by adding (likely) FSD after delivery - the insurance rate was linear with vehicle cost.