TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cannonball Run on Tesla Model S using Super Chargers

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Super, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Super

I pan to make a run on June 28th. Tips please. Single Driver. Model S 85 KWh.

2. Chipper

Chipper Active Member

My "tip" would be to follow ALL applicable laws...but I recognize that seems almost against the whole Cannonball philosophy. Even so.....

3. Super

Sure. I am a law abiding citizen.:smile:

4. HHHH

HHHH Member

I've always wanted to participate in something like this ever since I saw the Mischief 3000 videos on YouTube back in 2002. I've been pondering participating in Gumball 3000 the last few years as well. It would be interesting if this Cannonball Run was with multiple participants, but I imagine you're doing a cross-country rally type of trip. Still fun nonetheless.

5. Super

I will be driving from Red Ball Garage (via Goodwives Shopping Center) to Portofino Inn on a Super Charger Network Route.

6. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Only the obvious. Ride the bottom of the battery--only charge enough to make it to your next stop. Time your entry into urban areas or plot a route around them if rush hour. Know what speed is considered reckless driving in each state--there's a risk/reward element here.

7. Super

Anybody recommend a good dash camera? I wanted to do this for a long time but decided to do it a week back. Not much planning except the route I plan to take.

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Check you the dash can thread in the Model S section. There is a search field in the upper right of the site too.

9. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

How do you plan on staying awake for 70 hours straight if you are doing this by yourself? Either your sleeping for 45 min at each SC or you're taking drugs, neither of which you should be on the road as you pose a danger to everyone else and their families. You're an idiot. I hope you don't kill anyone or become the first death in a Tesla.

10. Super

Easy Big Boy. I don't do drugs and I am not planning to have any in the near future. I will be driving through Colorado though(You never Know):wink:. Will keep you posted of my trip details. I will remember your post while driving and will stay alive and will keep other drivers on the road safe.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Sorry, I must have skimmed too quickly. How many miles is this journey he's taking?

12. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

NY to LA. ~2,800 miles if non-supercharger route. Bit longer with SCs. That's based on the locations he's referenced.

13. tga

tga Active Member

Personally, I prefer The Gumball Rally to the Cannonball run series, but...

Random thoughts. If you are planning to travel at "hyper-legal" speeds:

• Do some test runs at your expected travel speed and monitor energy usage. Plan out your SC stops and make sure that at high speeds/energy consumption, you won't get stranded.
    • Don't expect to set any records - all the record setting times were in vehicles with a trunk full of gas tanks to minimize stops. Plus you can't take the direct route (3400 mi vs 2800, I think). My guess is ~50 hrs is about the best that anyone can hope for (and that's driving every mile at 80+)
    • Get a co-driver/navigator so you can sleep. Better, 2 so you can always have someone as a lookout/navigator.
    • Don't post details in a public forum until it's done, unless you want to be met by Lieutenant Roscoe en route.
    Oh, and this whole thing is illegal, dangerous, and stupid. Nothing in any of my posts shall be deemed endorsement of this behavior. Do so at your own risk. :wink:

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

SWAG...
    180 mi per leg @ 60 mph, 3 hr per leg
    14 legs x 3hr
    13 charging sessions x 1hr
    42+13

~55 hours, human requirements not included