Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot force trunk to open all the way inside garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New model X owner here. I want to be able to open my trunk all the way inside my garage. I have high ceilings so thhere is no issue. The sensors keep stopping it. I push it all the way but am not seeing anything on the screen asking me if I always want to open all the way. So far I haven’t found a way other than manually lifting it up. Thank you.

Did you try this? (from the user's manual, you said you were a new owner). This worked for me, but I had to shorten the maximum on mine model y.

Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height​

You can adjust the opening height of the liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
  1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
  2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.A button on the underside of the liftgate with an image of a car with a its trunk open
  3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Yes, I tried that. I think that button is typically used when you want to limit the height. I am trying to override the sensors.
Did you try this? (from the user's manual, you said you were a new owner). This worked for me, but I had to shorten the maximum on mine model y.

Adjusting Liftgate Opening Height​

You can adjust the opening height of the liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
  1. Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
  2. Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.A button on the underside of the liftgate with an image of a car with a its trunk open
  3. Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.
I have the identical problem on my 2019 Raven and this proposed solution has NEVER worked for me. I’ve tried it more than 100 times over the past few years.

Reactions: MrShakeHands
I have the same problem with my garage. It's not particularly low but I'm guessing the trunk sensors are picking up the open garage door above them. The thing is that there is plenty of room to open fully and I've tried to train the trunk to open fully but it keeps reverting back to only opening halfway.

I wish there was a location sensor override for the trunk height like there is for the suspension. "Yes, I know it's a bit low in here but you'll be OK. Just open the trunk all the way please."