Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cannot get rid of streaky film on windshields of new S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We purchased our 3rd S/X last year - and have seen the film on the glass (especially the interior) on all 3.

What's worked for us is to wash the glass normally with glass cleaner or when car soap (when washing the interior), and then make a second pass using only water and a microfiber cloth.

And that has worked - and after a few months, the film isn't a big issue.

I have the same issue on Model S from March 2018. . I can even see roller patterns on the glass in the right light which must be from the factory.

I’ve tried a lot of cleaners but the film persists.
I see this is a rather old post. Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm currently having this issue on my Model X, Dec 2017 build with 25k miles. The haze is awful and is definitely a distraction while driving especially in certain sunlight.

Tesla Service Center says it's not defective and won't cover under warranty, that it would require a $1600 out of pocket replacement. I strongly believe it's defective.

Their "best detail guy" tried steel wool and some chemicals with no results. Said there's nothing they can do. I took it back to the place that did my ceramic coat. They said they've never seen anything like it and it's definitely not a result of the ceramic coat. They tried a clay bar, glass polish, and a buffer with no results. They believe it came from some kind of windshield cover or something that was held in place by adhesive, which sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I did buy the car with 11k miles, so I cannot vouch for what may or may not have happened at the beginning of its life. But if it were adhesive residue, then by nature it would be affixed to the surface. In that case it should be able to be manipulated, wiped off, scraped off, something. This is not that. It literally feels like there is nothing there.

At first glance it appears to be on the outer surface. Wetting and cleaning looks like it will help at first as it masks the haze momentarily. But it inevitably comes right back after a few seconds and looks exactly the same. Same pattern, same stipple marks even. No amount of scrubbing, cleaning, or scraping has any result. It's as if the issue is IN the glass.

I have two distinct and different problem areas. One is the edges all the way around. This looks like a pattern from where the windshield was sealed and placed and is more defined. The second is much more broad and covers most of the surface of the windshield and all the way up to the top. On this you can see crosshatched lines, like roller marks. Both these areas have similar properties of appearing to be within the glass itself.

My best guess is that these are from some sort of vapor or gas that has somehow collected inside the glass. The issue on the edges looks like a vapor that originated with a sealant or adhesive bead. I have no idea where the rest of the haze could have originated.

I'm at a loss here and don't really care to spend $1600 for a windshield that appears to me to be defective. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Attachments

• 20210824_154512.jpg
    20210824_154512.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210824_124619.jpg
    20210824_124619.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210824_124609.jpg
    20210824_124609.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 51
Just in case it’s not obvious, typical windshield safety glass has two layers of glass with a plastic/tough layer in the middle. If the marks occurred in the middle plastic layer, or on the inner surface of either glass layer, there’s no hope of removing them.

I see this is a rather old post. Did you ever figure out a solution? I'm currently having this issue on my Model X, Dec 2017 build with 25k miles. The haze is awful and is definitely a distraction while driving especially in certain sunlight.

Tesla Service Center says it's not defective and won't cover under warranty, that it would require a $1600 out of pocket replacement. I strongly believe it's defective.

Their "best detail guy" tried steel wool and some chemicals with no results. Said there's nothing they can do. I took it back to the place that did my ceramic coat. They said they've never seen anything like it and it's definitely not a result of the ceramic coat. They tried a clay bar, glass polish, and a buffer with no results. They believe it came from some kind of windshield cover or something that was held in place by adhesive, which sounds pretty ridiculous to me. I did buy the car with 11k miles, so I cannot vouch for what may or may not have happened at the beginning of its life. But if it were adhesive residue, then by nature it would be affixed to the surface. In that case it should be able to be manipulated, wiped off, scraped off, something. This is not that. It literally feels like there is nothing there.

At first glance it appears to be on the outer surface. Wetting and cleaning looks like it will help at first as it masks the haze momentarily. But it inevitably comes right back after a few seconds and looks exactly the same. Same pattern, same stipple marks even. No amount of scrubbing, cleaning, or scraping has any result. It's as if the issue is IN the glass.

I have two distinct and different problem areas. One is the edges all the way around. This looks like a pattern from where the windshield was sealed and placed and is more defined. The second is much more broad and covers most of the surface of the windshield and all the way up to the top. On this you can see crosshatched lines, like roller marks. Both these areas have similar properties of appearing to be within the glass itself.

My best guess is that these are from some sort of vapor or gas that has somehow collected inside the glass. The issue on the edges looks like a vapor that originated with a sealant or adhesive bead. I have no idea where the rest of the haze could have originated.

I'm at a loss here and don't really care to spend $1600 for a windshield that appears to me to be defective. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?
That is defective, and has the potential to obscure or skew your view through the windshield while it it raining or foggy outside. Escalate your claim