Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cant communicate with powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have failed to work out the powerwall's networking approach and seem to communicate with it from my PC by luck sometimes.

I had to turn my router off to make some changes to the circuit it was on. On powering back on I can communicate with my SolarEdge Inverter but the Powerwall doesnt seem to want to play ball. Yet I can get to the Powerwall from my app on my iPhone.

Does anybody have any suggestions short of turning off and on the powerwall? (Perhaps that is what I should do once the router was back).

My gateway is gen 1 (not like mini PW2).

The link only took me to info about cars, however a search found Powerwall stuff. I’ll go back to tge paper doc I have somewhere. Note: I only turned off my router, all other devices found the network OK.

What does the Networking screen say on your Powerwall? Sounds like you're on wifi so check for signal strength and what the IP is. From your PC you can ping it and see how good the connection is.

I've had a horrible time with the Powerwall's wifi - it's physically adjacent to my Enphase gateway and the Enphase connects totally fine over wifi, the Powerwall struggles really hard. I even complained to the installer who swapped out the antenna which helped only a little bit. I've given up and hardwired my Powerwall to my home network (which was a PITA) and then just last week I noticed my Powerwall's connection to my network was really weak. Sure enough it dropped the wired network and swapped back to the weak wifi. I had to clear the wifi settings entirely and so far it's been happy on ethernet + cell.

I had to turn my router off to make some changes to the circuit it was on. On powering back on I can communicate with my SolarEdge Inverter but the Powerwall doesnt seem to want to play ball. Yet I can get to the Powerwall from my app on my iPhone.
Did the router give the PW gateway a new IP address? If you can get the PW info from the phone app then the router is connected to the network. Look at the list of connected devices in the router setup, figure out which is the PW gateway and then find the option to give it a fixed IP address.

So, not had a chance to progress this today as weather is nice and I’m taking down my conservatory to move it.

I cannot see the OW currently looking at attached devices on my Netgear router. As the gw has seemed a bit of a lagard connecting in the past I've patched the mac address to a static IP address and that seemed to fix most of my problems. All other devices on wifi (iMac, printer, laptop, phones, iPad and SolarEdge Inverter) reconnected just fine. Just the pw gw not playing ball. Once I’ve stopped generating thus evening I’ll shutdown the gw and pw and restart them. I think that may work.