Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't manually enable Trailer Mode - And other problems with Trailer lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Camper was all packed up, we were ready to head out -- and had to abort our camping trip.

Tesla X cannot manually engage trailer mode. Switch is greyed out -- can't toggle it.

Spoke with Tesla mobile service and they didn't really have any ideas; it's supposed to automatically detect and then engage, and certainly it should be able to be manually engaged.

I checked the power at the switch. It's very strange, the voltage is low and drops even lower when under load, e.g. outputting less than 5V (should be 12). Not sure if it's the 12V system.

Overall, it sounds like some sort of controller issue. I verified all lighting and the connector to the trailer itself is working by hooking it up both to a 2nd test vehicle as well as a 9V battery.

Service tech scheduled for Friday. Can folks check to see if you can manually enter Trailer Mode (Note: NOT "Tow Mode") under the driving settings menu (right underneath Creep Mode etc.)? Thank you.

Hi ColoradoVoltag,

Have you connected the trailer to the Tesla and verified all of the lights and signals work???
I see you have made tests on other vehicles and with batteries but it's the connection to the Tesla
that "turns on" the trailer mode... it senses the resistance of the trailer circuits.

If you have connected the trailer to the Tesla and all lights work properly - the trailer mode light should
come on by itself... If it does not, as others have said, the controller may be failing.

Depending on your model year there are several fuses located in the frunk and at the driver's ankle fuse panel that service
the trailer turn signals, trailer brake lights, and the trailer power supply... if these are blown they will also cause
the trailer mode to fail.

Shawn

Thank you everyone. I will check the fuses tonight. I have a mobile service appointment -- diagnostic only -- scheduled for Friday. Service writer has made reference to a "controller" so there appears to be at least conceptual knowledge of a part that can be replaced (would have to be ordered, I suppose).

This is one of the big reasons why I bought the X, so sort of a facepalm moment for me :( #fifthtesla

I can’t enable it either with no trailer attached (yet).

Supposedly software needs to be enabled.

Service Center seems a bit clueless on the Tow mode.

They said it was done but I don’t think it was. They also said it could be done over the air.

Anyone know the deal on this.

I can’t enable it either with no trailer attached (yet).

Supposedly software needs to be enabled.

Service Center seems a bit clueless on the Tow mode.

They said it was done but I don’t think it was. They also said it could be done over the air.

Anyone know the deal on this.

Mine enabled automatically when I plugged in trailer.

If trailer has LEDs, it may not pull enough current to trigger trailer mode. There’s an adapter that goes inline between trailer and X that draws enough current to make the X happy.

TFL YouTube has #AdventureX series. They hit the problem when they first attached a camper.