Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't setup phone as key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model 3 delivered yesterday.

App works fine (except for this issue), connects to car, I can also pair bluetooth for calls, streaming.

When setting up phone as key, as soon as I hit the Start button in proximity to vehicle, within a few seconds of "Searching" I see the following message:

Phone Key
Could not connect to your vehicle

IOS 12.1.1 iPhone X

Also tried with my wife's iPhone 7 and a spare 6S we have.

Exactly the same behavior in all cases.

I searched forums and see there are lots of problems with phone as key, but I haven't seen this particular message reported anywhere.

Car is just updated (yesterday) to 2018.46.2

Any ideas? I have messaged Tesla and waiting on reply.

Thanks!

Have you enabled Mobile access? Pretty sure our DA turned this on for us in the car when we were picking up and we sat there and then paired our phones and key cards. The last Note below indicates until your phone is authenticated it needs an internet connection. Maybe you don’t have a good one and that’s why it’s spinning? The key card you have with you is authenticated? Try toggling your bluetooth on and off first before trying again. Even with my phone authenticated I find I ocassionally have to do this and then the phone is immediately recognized.

6A04D96C-B44A-4E38-895E-97B450030E40.jpeg

We’re both iphone users here (6plus and 8 and 10) and haven’t had issues.

Last edited:
Have you enabled Mobile access? Pretty sure our DA turned this on for us in the car when we were picking up and we sat there and then paired our phones and key cards. The last Note below indicates until your phone is authenticated it needs an internet connection. Maybe you don’t have a good one and that’s why it’s spinning? The key card you have with you is authenticated? Try toggling your bluetooth on and off first before trying again. Even with my phone authenticated I find I ocassionally have to do this and then the phone is immediately recognized.

View attachment 361933

We’re both iphone users here (6plus and 8 and 10) and haven’t had issues.

Hi and thanks for your suggestions. I do have mobile access enabled, phone app works fine (except for key) and other bluetooth functions work fine. Phone definitely sees the car, and Tesla can see that it's trying to communicate but they don't know why it's saying

"Phone Key
Could not connect to your vehicle"

instead of proceeding to ask for the key card to be swiped.

It's now with a diagnostic team checking out the logs.

Tried it with multiple phones, and a iPad - which would be a step backwards from the key card :) -- and none work.

At first I thought it might be my companies device management software, but tried 2 other phones and the iPad which don't have that installed and they all had the same problem.

I'll post back when it's figured out!

Hi and thanks for your suggestions. I do have mobile access enabled, phone app works fine (except for key) and other bluetooth functions work fine. Phone definitely sees the car, and Tesla can see that it's trying to communicate but they don't know why it's saying

"Phone Key
Could not connect to your vehicle"

instead of proceeding to ask for the key card to be swiped.

It's now with a diagnostic team checking out the logs.

Tried it with multiple phones, and a iPad - which would be a step backwards from the key card :) -- and none work.

At first I thought it might be my companies device management software, but tried 2 other phones and the iPad which don't have that installed and they all had the same problem.

I'll post back when it's figured out!

Did you ever resolve this? My wife’s app/phone is having exactly the same issue. My phone key works fine. 1+ year since delivery.

Did you ever resolve this? My wife’s app/phone is having exactly the same issue. My phone key works fine. 1+ year since delivery.

Never got it to work. I was/am planning to get it addressed when I take the vehicle in for service, but I haven’t had a reason to do that yet (Dec ‘18 delivery).

In our case, we have the one vehicle and neither my wife’s iPhone or mine (or any other devices we’ve tried, iPads, older spare iPhones) have made a difference. Tried working with Tesla to get it remotely diagnosed but was painfully slow and gave up.

On the plus side we got key fobs and they are working fine, and my wife is a bit paranoid about the security of using cell phones as keys. So, no real sense of urgency, but I do want it in a state where it’s not broken.

Anyway probably could have given you a more concise answer but that’s the story. If you do find a solution please share it!