TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Capturing energy from lightning

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by NightWolf, Sep 30, 2015.

1. NightWolf

NightWolf Member

We've all heard about how lightning can produce enough energy to power NYC for like a year. With all the lightning strikes that happen all over the world, I view this as a massive waste of electricity that we could use.

Obviously the challenge to this is storing that much power, but I think it could be done. What do you think?

2. DMA

DMA Member

I've been thinking about this too.
    Just google it and you'll find a lot of people made this analysis: while the energy is powerful, the fact that a lightning just strikes for 0,025sec makes the total amount of energy very limited (I've seen numbers around 140Kw/h). 2 difficult problems remain: how to know where the lightning will strike, and how to harvest it.
    As an example: Harvesting lightning energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
    Anyway where do this statement come from (power NYC for a year)? Is it achieved by harvesting all the US territory lightning for 1 year too?

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Already been done. 1.21 gigawatts!

Vlcsnap-2009-10-12-18h30m12s48.jpg

4. DMA

DMA Member

Let's see if it really worked on 21/10/2015! (for the atheists, the date they time travelled in the future). :scared:

5. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member