Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car always sleeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since getting my Model X, nearly every time I try to use the mobile app, it has to wake the vehicle, which takes quite a while (over 30 seconds). Also, more often than not, when I get in the vehicle (assuming it’s not already started with the app), the vehicle gives me a notification that it’s powering up, and takes a few seconds before I can actually turn it on. When I had my model S, this almost never happened, unless my car had actually been off for quite a while. Now, it happens almost every time my car is off for ever a few hours. I verified that my car is set to remain connected.
Anyone else had this problem or notice this behavior?

You should be happy it is sleeping so much. :)
I wonder if you know that you can change some settings in the car (other than remain connected). For me, I don't mind that it takes a few seconds for the app to connect or the car to power up. I'm just never in that big of a hurry where 10 seconds count, yet I know it annoys some people and they rather not have this delay. I rather let the car sleep as much as possible to use less idle energy.

You should be happy it is sleeping so much. :)
I wonder if you know that you can change some settings in the car (other than remain connected). For me, I don't mind that it takes a few seconds for the app to connect or the car to power up. I'm just never in that big of a hurry where 10 seconds count, yet I know it annoys some people and they rather not have this delay. I rather let the car sleep as much as possible to use less idle energy.
I’m okay with using idle energy to avoid a 30 seconds delay (it’s not 10 seconds for me) and having to wait every time I get in the car). Especially when the car is plugged in!!
I haven’t been able to find any settings which make a difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
i wish mine would sleep more when not in use. we took a trip and left it plugged in at home. every day i got notifications that it was recharging at night. it lost 10-12 mi of range each night which seems like a lot. so in the course of one week i had to recharge maybe 80-90 of range even though i didn't use the car at all.

• Helpful
Reactions: 1375mlm
I’m okay with using idle energy to avoid a 30 seconds delay (it’s not 10 seconds for me) and having to wait every time I get in the car). Especially when the car is plugged in!!
I see. Clearly yours is taking longer to awaken than ours. Perhaps someone else will chime in. I haven't checked my car lately for the correct feature to prevent sleeping. Just know one was there long ago, but I am now hearing there is a trend to systematically remove "certain" sleep options in order to automate sleeping in hopes of reducing idle battery drain. Maybe time to call the SC and ask them.

i wish mine would sleep more when not in use. we took a trip and left it plugged in at home. every day i got notifications that it was recharging at night. it lost 10-12 mi of range each night which seems like a lot. so in the course of one week i had to recharge maybe 80-90 of range even though i didn't use the car at all.
Wow, that seems like a lot. Which of your 2 cars are you referring to? Our X100 averages a loss slightly less than 3 mph per day (equivalent) when idle. Powerwise, I think that is roughly 250 watts continuous, yet haven't done the precise math.

Was it particularly hot in the garage? I find in the summer I walk into the garage and my car is running the fans and I assume the cooling pumps on those 100+ days. Because lack of insulation, the garage is around 120 on a summer afternoon.

We are insulating and adding an temperature controlled exhaust fan this Spring.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Was it particularly hot in the garage? I find in the summer I walk into the garage and my car is running the fans and I assume the cooling pumps on those 100+ days. Because lack of insulation, the garage is around 120 on a summer afternoon.
That is an interesting point and something I had not considered. I live in the high desert of sparks. It is not uncommon for our garage to get to the same temperature in summer and a bone chilling below freezing cold in the winter. When I go back and look at my logs, I don't see any evidence of the cooling or heating coming on when the car is idle. So a bit puzzled on that one.

There are power setting you can change to adjust some of this behavior. But, MCU2 does sleep deeper than earlier units and takes longer to wake. The upside is less loss when the car is parked.

I see. Clearly yours is taking longer to awaken than ours. Perhaps someone else will chime in. I haven't checked my car lately for the correct feature to prevent sleeping. Just know one was there long ago, but I am now hearing there is a trend to systematically remove "certain" sleep options in order to automate sleeping in hopes of reducing idle battery drain. Maybe time to call the SC and ask them.

@slevit1md If you have a 2018 MX then you likely have the new MCU2 that always sleeps, which is why you always have to wait for it to wake using the app and sometime even to power up when getting in :(. The older MCU1 had a power savings option that allowed the car to not sleep as often or deep thats what @Silicon Desert is referring to. Check under Menu->Display to see if you have the "Energy Management" option, if you don't then you have MCU2. There is supposed to be a software fix coming in the .50 release or later.

You should change your cars name to Snorlax

tenor.gif

The upside is less loss when the car is parked.

Indeed. Without frequent sleeping, I would see around 5% SOC loss every 24 hours. Summer or winter.

I wonder if you know that you can change some settings in the car (other than remain connected).

Newer cars with the Intel based MCU do not have any of the Energy Savings options that exist on older cars. It is all supposed to be "automatic" now. The new MCU began shipping early in 2018.

• Helpful
Reactions: slevit1md
I have MCU 2, so maybe that’s the problem. It sucks. It has become a daily annoyance, sometimes multiple times per day. Really hoping for a fix! As my car is pretty much always plugged in, I’d be happy with a bit more vampire drain to fix the constant sleep.
The only thing is does automatically is go to sleep!

I have MCU 2, so maybe that’s the problem. It sucks. It has become a daily annoyance, sometimes multiple times per day. Really hoping for a fix! As my car is pretty much always plugged in, I’d be happy with a bit more vampire drain to fix the constant sleep.

Yes I really hope there is an option for us to have where the car either never sleeps or does not sleep when plugged in and only sleeps when unplugged... Wish we really had those three options including deep sleep all the time

At the risk of sounding like an ad for Teslafi, if you use that (or something similar) then you can set locations and sleep schedules to help keep the car awake. I have mine set to stay awake in most locations during the day unless I know I'm not going to be there for several hours. It keeps it awake by polling the car for data every few minutes.

TeslaFi.com

I have an Aug 2018 build MCU2 X. Like the OPs, it takes 20-30 seconds to initially wake up from the app (in the morning) and around 5 seconds to wake up whenever I enter the car. I also lose around 10-15 miles of charge overnight. No foofoo software running, so this is just the way it is. None of this is any kind of issue for me: reminds me to not be so Type A.

Now if they could just get the automatic windshield wipers to actually work, that would make my day (thread hijack alert...)

And I am the opposite. I prefer the car sleeping even if it takes longer to wake.

I think what this is saying is that we need the Energy Options back on MCU-2 cars so that we have our choice like the older cars have.

At the risk of sounding like an ad for Teslafi, if you use that (or something similar) then you can set locations and sleep schedules to help keep the car awake. I have mine set to stay awake in most locations during the day unless I know I'm not going to be there for several hours. It keeps it awake by polling the car for data every few minutes.

I disconnected and cancelled my TeslaFi account. Even with their assistance, I could not get it to let my car sleep.

For those who don't like their cars sleeping, just run TeslaFi.

• Funny
Reactions: HostileHarry
As stated above, the MCU2 system does not have the "always connected" and "energy saver" feature settings in older tesla. it will go to sleep all the time now to save power. Honestly its just something i grew to live with and accept, because the speed difference in the tesla navigation in MCU2 is amazing.