Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car always sleeping!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[QUOTE="mknox, post: 3325540, member: 10172"
Newer cars with the Intel based MCU do not have any of the Energy Savings options that exist on older cars. It is all supposed to be "automatic" now. The new MCU began shipping early in 2018.[/QUOTE]

Right, but not just due to being a new MCU. I have a pre-2017 car that used to have the feature, but as result of firmware updates, it now does not.

Consider yourself lucky that your app wakes the car. Since the last update my model X goes to sleep very quickly and there is absolutely no way to wake it up via the app!
Confused here. not sure which update you are talking about. I have 2018.50 with latest 3.8 app and the app always wakes up our X. I wish it wouldn't unless there were a button to click "Wake up" as most of the time I just want to see the last status (with date time) before waking it up. One of my other apps allows that.

That is an interesting point and something I had not considered. I live in the high desert of sparks. It is not uncommon for our garage to get to the same temperature in summer and a bone chilling below freezing cold in the winter. When I go back and look at my logs, I don't see any evidence of the cooling or heating coming on when the car is idle. So a bit puzzled on that one.

I don't think it is the car cooling or heating coming on. I think it is the battery cooling pumps and fans coming on. When I get in the car on the hot days the interior is really hot, until the A/C cools it down.

Do you know if the logs track the operation of battery cooling system?

Confused here. not sure which update you are talking about. I have 2018.50 with latest 3.8 app and the app always wakes up our X. I wish it wouldn't unless there were a button to click "Wake up" as most of the time I just want to see the last status (with date time) before waking it up. One of my other apps allows that.

You have 2018.50 on an X? I thought it was a model 3 firmware only? For mine, it is 2018.48.12.2. As soon as my car fall asleep, there is no way to wake it without opening the car. I read on reddit that some people have been told this is an issue with the Intel MCU crashing and it doesn’t happen to everyone but once it does we are stuck until a fix is released. Didn’t understand who needs to fix it, Tesla or Intel.

[Right, but not just due to being a new MCU. I have a pre-2017 car that used to have the feature, but as result of firmware updates, it now does not.

Ahhh... good to know. Originally only the newer cars did this.

Capture.JPG

I wish it wouldn't unless there were a button to click "Wake up" as most of the time I just want to see the last status (with date time) before waking it up. One of my other apps allows that.

If you have an iPhone, you can use the widget (access by swiping right). This will show you the status without waking the car. If you want to wake the car, there is a button on the widget to do so (or you can just open the full app).

If you have an iPhone, you can use the widget (access by swiping right). This will show you the status without waking the car. If you want to wake the car, there is a button on the widget to do so (or you can just open the full app).

Nice information, but I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. I am not sure what you are talking about..... the "widget"

Since getting my Model X, nearly every time I try to use the mobile app, it has to wake the vehicle, which takes quite a while (over 30 seconds). Also, more often than not, when I get in the vehicle (assuming it’s not already started with the app), the vehicle gives me a notification that it’s powering up, and takes a few seconds before I can actually turn it on. When I had my model S, this almost never happened, unless my car had actually been off for quite a while. Now, it happens almost every time my car is off for ever a few hours. I verified that my car is set to remain connected.
Anyone else had this problem or notice this behavior?

Model X Lord Beerus Edition?

• Funny
Reactions: BLKTSLA
Thanks that is good to know. I wasn't aware to add it as a widget.
HOWEVER, I noticed that without me doing anything, as soon as I looked at the widget, my Tesla came out of sleep mode ???

Really? On my phone, if the car is sleeping the widget will say so, and there is a button to wake it if I choose. Of course, if I open the main app, it will wake the car straight away.

Really? On my phone, if the car is sleeping the widget will say so, and there is a button to wake it if I choose. Of course, if I open the main app, it will wake the car straight away.
Well, let me give it more time to play around with it. Since you are familiar with it, you are probably correct. All I know thus far is that when I swiped the iphone screen to the right to look at the widgets, I saw the Tesla widget there and it said sleeping. YET, at almost that exact same time, TeslaFi said the car awakened. Perhaps just a first time quirk. I'll check it out more. Thanks for the info.

As stated above, the MCU2 system does not have the "always connected" and "energy saver" feature settings in older tesla. it will go to sleep all the time now to save power. Honestly its just something i grew to live with and accept, because the speed difference in the tesla navigation in MCU2 is amazing.

I got my X75 in December and I wish it slept more!

I seem to lose between 6 and 10Km overnight.

Well, let me give it more time to play around with it. Since you are familiar with it, you are probably correct. All I know thus far is that when I swiped the iphone screen to the right to look at the widgets, I saw the Tesla widget there and it said sleeping. YET, at almost that exact same time, TeslaFi said the car awakened.

This is what I see. The car will not wake unless I tap the arrow icon. It will begin to wake as soon as I open the main app, however.

I had to give up on TeslaFi. No matter what I did or the settings I applied (based on many support emails) I could not get my car to sleep properly. Plus I found TeslaFi to be somewhat inaccurate especially around electricity use. I compared TeslaFi to my home energy sub-meter as well as to an OBD II dongle that I use and the numbers were off.

There is apparently a way to "ping" the car without waking it, and perhaps that's what the widget does. Maybe TeslaFi is somehow sensing this ping and then fully waking the car. Wild guess on my part.

20190117_211953000_iOS.png

Last edited:
I had to give up on TeslaFi. No matter what I did or the settings I applied (based on many support emails) I could not get my car to sleep properly.
View attachment 369860
Hmmm, I really wonder if that is a TeslaFi issue. Only reason I say that is because I have been using it for more than a year and my X has no issue at all with sleeping almost all of the time it is in the garage. TeslaFi does not wake up the car unless your purposely go to the controls and tell it to do that.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I really wonder if that is a TeslaFi issue. Only reason I say that is because I have been using it for more than a year and my X has no issue at all with sleeping almost all of the time it is in the garage. TeslaFi does not wake up the car unless your purposely go to the controls and tell it to do that.

For some reason, my car would not sleep at all when TeslaFi was connected. As soon as I disconnected it, the car sleeps like a baby!