Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car asks for Key Card to drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
H

hcdavis3

I know this has been covered on this forum, but Im at my wits end. My iPhone and my Model 3 both indicate that my phone is connected via Bluetooth. I’ve restarted twice but now luck. Ive disconnected my phone and reconnected twice, no luck. I’ve forgotten my iPhone and re paired twice, no luck here either. Still requires Key card to drive . Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. TIA.

Assuming for a minute that because of your Previous tesla history, you know that the phone as key syncing is different from the "my phone is connected via bluetooth" statement (which I think you do)...

What happens when you re pair the phone as a key in the car? Do you get any error messages, or does it work but then stop working later? If you have tried re pairing it as a key several times and it never functions as a key, might be time for a service appointment.

Reactions: hcdavis3
The phone being connected to the car's Bluetooth is NOT the same as the phone's key being detected by the car's security system. Those are two very different things.

I have Android, so this may or may not apply, but the suggestion it gives in this case is to go to airplane mode and then out (to allow the wireless systems in the phone to reset). This usually does the trick (albeit with a delay).

I have also found that the frequency of occurrence is lower when I approach the car with the phone in my hand as opposed to in my pocket.

Reactions: hcdavis3
Assuming for a minute that because of your Previous tesla history, you know that the phone as key syncing is different from the "my phone is connected via bluetooth" statement (which I think you do)...

What happens when you re pair the phone as a key in the car? Do you get any error messages, or does it work but then stop working later? If you have tried re pairing it as a key several times and it never functions as a key, might be time for a service appointment.
Thanks jj

Have almost the same thing happening. Will get into car with my Android, screen will come on, I hit D and then the request for the key card. Have re-paid phone, It will be fine for a day maybe then happens again. Going nuts.

Have almost the same thing happening. Will get into car with my Android, screen will come on, I hit D and then the request for the key card. Have re-paid phone, It will be fine for a day maybe then happens again. Going nuts.
Yep. They seem to fix this in one version of the app, and then break it in the next. Very annoying. It's now in a rev that this seems to happen more frequently.

For me it helps when you have the phone out of your pocket and in your hand as you approach the car, but that's not always the solution.

thanks RTPEV...I will soldier on.
I think I just realized when you meant by "re-paid phone". Assuming you mean re-paired phone. I don't think re-pairing it does anything...that is just pairing the Bluetooth audio to the media center. Doesn't have anything to do with the phone as key. What it is in fact doing is buying more time for it to actually connect.

For me, getting into the Tesla app is sometimes enough (and wait for it to "Connect"). But what I usually do is to toggle airplane mode on, and then back off. This always seems to work.