Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car "asleep" after getting in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only owned my 3 for a few days, but to this point whenever I get in the screen has been on immediately. Tonight I came out to the car, opened the door via phone key, and...nothing. Lights and all that were on, but the screen wouldn't come on. I tapped around on it a few times, tried shifting into drive / reverse. Maybe 10 seconds later, the "T" appeared on the screen as if the car had been rebooted and then all was fine.

I hadn't explicitly turned the car off on parking, I had just put it in park, and got out. I even "woke up" the car via app about 5 minutes before I went out to it.

Is this something I just don't understand or did it do something weird?

I have had my M3 for almost 2 months. Mine also exhibits the same problem. Seldom happens when I first “start” car for the day; when it happens it seems to be at random times after stopping somewhere. I discussed with the San Diego Service Center. They advised that Tesla engineering is aware of the problem and will address a solution.

I used to have this almost every time I entered the car. I even timed it. 29 seconds from when I opened the door to when I could put the car into drive. Service center confirmed there was a bug in the system and Tesla engineering is working on a solution. Oddly enough after I reported it, it does it less frequently now. Usually I can put the car into drive before the screen comes up. Simply press the brake and you'll feel when the booster kicks in and the pedal lowers a bit. At this point you can put the car into drive regardless of the screen state.

it happened to me after 1 week with car today.. got in the car and as an habit I push up to rear first thing and screen was black, but car was moving... with my i3 was same, pop in, push start and go... never had any issues. Will be checking as I have a service schedule in 1 week for another issue.

Tesla called me to follow up on delivery to make sure things were ok. I mentioned this issue to them (it's happened twice to me thus far). They said they'd make a note, and that they'd heard it before. Hopefully something that can be fixed in an OTA update.

My S does it somtimes. The last sw load hasnt worked well. I call fremont, they loaded all new sw last night.
After 30k miles, i see these sw gltches once in awhile. Make sure you call fremont everytime so they can look in your car and see error codes. He found error codes which told them i needed a new sw update. Its been my experience that they are great in fixing sw problems. I cant say enough on how fast they are. I was in salt lake city, update killed my car. I called, it went level 3 in engineering immediately . Within minutes they fixed it. It was nothing short of amazing how fast the sw engineering team is. I think they really try hard, fast to fix sw glitches.
Oh, i am retired IT professor .

I had this occur last night - I went to check charging status on my phone but it wouldn't connect, so I went out to the garage and when I opened the car door the screen stayed black. I thought perhaps I'd accidentally changed the default 11pm for the pending software update, so didn't mess with it.

This morning the screen came on OK, but the software update was still pending. I had time so I told it to install it now, update still didn't work.

Headed out to meet up with some friends for lunch. Was stopped at a light and my iPhone popped up a notification that the Tesla App was using my location and asked for confirmation to allow it to continue doing so. As soon as I clicked "OK" on the phone, the car's radio went silent and the screen went black. I tried the 2-button restart mentioned on page 36 of the manual and it came back, but after a brief amount of time it went black again. Called Tesla Support and they had me do the step on the break + 2-button reboot, which did not work.

Thankfully this occurred a few miles from the Westchase Service Center, so the support guy forwarded the info of what we'd tried so far to them. The service center tried a hard-reboot, which apparently requires access to something under the hood as they had me pop it open from my iPhone. While popping the hood worked, which I was surprised about that as the App gave a connection error, the hard-reboot didn't work.

So I've got an S100D while they figure out what's up.

They didn't have it fixed in time for our planned road trip to Wisconsin for my nephew's graduation, so they said to take the Model S. While I would have preferred my 3, the free Supercharging was nice for the trip. My folks said the S's back seat was not as comfortable as in the 3, plus they missed having cup holders (while we rotated driving on the trip, they wanted me in the front to help with the screen whenever one of them was driving so I never rode in the back). That said, they really enjoyed the car and would like to get one themselves, but are on a fixed budget.

Tesla had it ready Monday the 11th, along with getting a minor paint flaw buffed out of the hood, but we didn't return from Wisconsin until Sunday so I picked it up yesterday morning.

They ended up replacing the Car Computer and a Pyro fuse. Everything seems fine, though I did have to reconfigure the settings (seat/mirror positions, HomeLink for garage door, turn back on Mobile Access, walk way locking, etc.)
Replaced car computer, restored configuration, and updated FW.

Parts Replaced or Added

CAR,COMPUTER,MCU,ADAS,ASSY (1098058-S0-F)

DISCONNECT,BATTERY,PYRO (1064689-00-I)

Corrections: Cooling System - Partial Refill and Bleed Refilled and bled cooling system after repair.

Parts Replaced or Added

G-48 COOLANT (1029320-00-A)