Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Camping in RV sites?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, the thin charging infrastructure in N BC will slow you down, but not really too much, if you travel in the summer season. Red Goat Lodge and RV park on the Cassiar is EV-friendly, but it's 255 miles (411 km) from Boulder Creek Rest Area, the closest DCFC to the south. However, you could make it from Prince George in a long day and 230 miles of range with a couple of extra stops. In addition to the faster options allong the Yellowhead Hwy., Meziadin Jct has some level 2 capability during the summer season. Then you'd want to stay overnight in Iskut (Red Goat) anyway. From there, Watson Lake DCFC is "only" 212 miles (342 km). The hitch then becomes the area around Glennallen/Tok, in interior AK. However, Tok has an electric school bus, and a guy willing to let you charge there at 20 kW, I think; if you make prior arrangements (Stretch Banchard, of Tok Transportation). Check PlugShare. RV parks can provide charging there too, in summer...All of this of course depends on having a working adapter, either Chademo or CCS support...
Yup, I know about most of these. It's definitely skating on the edge, though. No ability to take detours. No ability to even take a wrong turn and add 10 miles to your trip. And not much better when you get into Alaska except on the Anchorage to Fairbanks axis.

Yeah, it's possible, even necessary to stop at the rare RV park with 50a plugs, and pick up 60 miles in 2 hours, and that can make a difference. But now we're moving into the "major compromise compared to gasoline" realm. I always try to see if I can make using the EV better than a gas car, not worse. Today, for an Alaska highway trip, I would still consider a gasoline car rental, in spite of the higher cost. (Much higher cost since rental is so expensive up there right now, which could flip the question the other way.)

But I think before too long this should get fixed. Some DC Fast every 150 miles on the Alaska Highway would be a nice thing to see.

How does the Tok bus guy get you 20kw? The charger in my car is only 7.2kw, does he have a 20kw DC charger?

From what I can see online, Meziadin has only TT-30 so it would take a very long time to fill you up to get to Red Goat. Which is also TT-30 so even loading up a full 230 miles will take 24 hours, not just an overnight stay. And will you make Watson lake? Can't be sure. There are some RV parks not in plugshare between East Pine and Fort Nelson, where overnighting with 50a will do the job, but from there it's TT-30. Unless you can be sure to pull off that "Y" trick (which still only gets you 20mph, so you need a 10-11 hour stop) this is a hard slog.

But it will improve.

Last edited:
Yup, I know about most of these. It's definitely skating on the edge, though. No ability to take detours. No ability to even take a wrong turn and add 10 miles to your trip. And not much better when you get into Alaska except on the Anchorage to Fairbanks axis.

Yeah, it's possible, even necessary to stop at the rare RV park with 50a plugs, and pick up 60 miles in 2 hours, and that can make a difference. But now we're moving into the "major compromise compared to gasoline" realm. I always try to see if I can make using the EV better than a gas car, not worse. Today, for an Alaska highway trip, I would still consider a gasoline car rental, in spite of the higher cost. (Much higher cost since rental is so expensive up there right now, which could flip the question the other way.)

But I think before too long this should get fixed. Some DC Fast every 150 miles on the Alaska Highway would be a nice thing to see.

How does the Tok bus guy get you 20kw? The charger in my car is only 7.2kw, does he have a 20kw DC charger?

From what I can see online, Meziadin has only TT-30 so it would take a very long time to fill you up to get to Red Goat. Which is also TT-30 so even loading up a full 230 miles will take 24 hours, not just an overnight stay. And will you make Watson lake? Can't be sure. There are some RV parks not in plugshare between East Pine and Fort Nelson, where overnighting with 50a will do the job, but from there it's TT-30. Unless you can be sure to pull off that "Y" trick (which still only gets you 20mph, so you need a 10-11 hour stop) this is a hard slog.

But it will improve.
I'm still with you, I wish Tesla would install superchargers in Iskut, Beaver Creek, and Tok!! Yeah, Stretch, in Tok, has a 25kW CCS DCFC in a garage for his bus. Teslas get from 20-24 kW there- see the comments on PlugShare. You need an adapter. I think Red Goat will plug you into 220v with a special request. The Y-splitter trick is pretty easy, but a multi-meter and a TT-30 extension cord might also be handy. I considered buying an extension cord, but will wait until I do the trip again. By then it may not be needed at all! The Seattle to AK trip is easier now than when I did it the first week of October 2021, but not as fast as gas. But not as polluting either. And maybe cheaper?

I'm still with you, I wish Tesla would install superchargers in Iskut, Beaver Creek, and Tok!! Yeah, Stretch, in Tok, has a 25kW CCS DCFC in a garage for his bus. Teslas get from 20-24 kW there- see the comments on PlugShare. You need an adapter. I think Red Goat will plug you into 220v with a special request. The Y-splitter trick is pretty easy, but a multi-meter and a TT-30 extension cord might also be handy. I considered buying an extension cord, but will wait until I do the trip again. By then it may not be needed at all! The Seattle to AK trip is easier now than when I did it the first week of October 2021, but not as fast as gas. But not as polluting either. And maybe cheaper?
Probably cheaper. But in these cases you are depending that the special plug is available, and that nobody else also wants to use it, and that the RV park has two spaces you can book and that you can do the Y-splitter trick (with some question of whether the Y-splitter with TT-30 extension cord is safe)

Nah, I don't ask for superchargers all along the route. Well, I would like it, but I would get by with a small deployment of CCS or Tesla spaced about 150 miles apart, 200 at most, with 2 stations or more to avoid too much waiting. And while you can drive from Hazelton or Dawson Creek to Watson Lake in one very long day, I am also fine if you need an overnight stay (with 7kw) in the middle of the route, and even 2 would be OK from origin to Whitehorse.

Some day. Though once I get there, still need more. Want to go around Wrangel-St.Elias, maybe a bit up the Dalton highway (don't need to go all the way but some Tesla drivers have done it)

Probably cheaper. But in these cases you are depending that the special plug is available, and that nobody else also wants to use it, and that the RV park has two spaces you can book and that you can do the Y-splitter trick (with some question of whether the Y-splitter with TT-30 extension cord is safe)

Nah, I don't ask for superchargers all along the route. Well, I would like it, but I would get by with a small deployment of CCS or Tesla spaced about 150 miles apart, 200 at most, with 2 stations or more to avoid too much waiting. And while you can drive from Hazelton or Dawson Creek to Watson Lake in one very long day, I am also fine if you need an overnight stay (with 7kw) in the middle of the route, and even 2 would be OK from origin to Whitehorse.

Some day. Though once I get there, still need more. Want to go around Wrangel-St.Elias, maybe a bit up the Dalton highway (don't need to go all the way but some Tesla drivers have done it)
I'm one of those that just drove to the Arctic Ocean and back last week- up the Dalton...My profile picture was taken at Atigun Pass...

I'm one of those that just drove to the Arctic Ocean and back last week- up the Dalton...My profile picture was taken at Atigun Pass...
The question I have is, other than for the sense of accomplishment of making it to the Arctic ocean, is there much to see north of the pass? It doesn't look like it on the terrain maps.

I find it interesting to read about the Coldfoot welding shop that many drivers have used, though it has 6-50 and 14-30 welding plugs which very few of us carry with us. It seems to make so much sense that they would buy either one of the Tesla mobile adapter plugs for their 6-50 for $45 and make it easy for all drivers (and make money considering the $1/kwh price) or if they wanted to be more general, buy a 32A J1772 EVSE that plugs into the 6-50 ($240) and then support all cars. (Or a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter which would support any car who travels in rural areas as we all carry a 14-50 EVSE unless we are insane.)

In fact, I have often read about places on plugshare where there is a welding shop or some other unusual power source where it would make so much sense for them to get that adapter if they are interested in helping EVs charge. I guess for many it's still a novelty that these folks show up asking for power, though some of them charge quite high prices when they either don't want to do it, or know they are the only game in town.

The question I have is, other than for the sense of accomplishment of making it to the Arctic ocean, is there much to see north of the pass? It doesn't look like it on the terrain maps.

I find it interesting to read about the Coldfoot welding shop that many drivers have used, though it has 6-50 and 14-30 welding plugs which very few of us carry with us. It seems to make so much sense that they would buy either one of the Tesla mobile adapter plugs for their 6-50 for $45 and make it easy for all drivers (and make money considering the $1/kwh price) or if they wanted to be more general, buy a 32A J1772 EVSE that plugs into the 6-50 ($240) and then support all cars. (Or a 6-50 to 14-50 adapter which would support any car who travels in rural areas as we all carry a 14-50 EVSE unless we are insane.)

In fact, I have often read about places on plugshare where there is a welding shop or some other unusual power source where it would make so much sense for them to get that adapter if they are interested in helping EVs charge. I guess for many it's still a novelty that these folks show up asking for power, though some of them charge quite high prices when they either don't want to do it, or know they are the only game in town.
The sense of accomplishment: It was driving on a fairly well-maintained road with support vehilces. I got one flat (fairly well-maintained...) and was ready and able to change to a mounted spare I had in the car. I got a new tire I had in the back of a support truck installed in Deadhorse (the flat was not repairable). I was able to avoid windshield damage, unlike two Model Y's. It was a fun to be part of an historic event, and to see genuine interest in EVs from ConocoPhillips, a major supporter, and oilfield workers. We put on an awesome EV car show in the oilfield: Hummer, both Rivians, F150, all 4 Teslas....

North of the pass: all I can say is: Nothing to see here, move on, move on... ;) However, I will say that Deadhorse is as far from being a tourist destination as one could possibly get.

Now that Coldfoot Camp has some 14-50's wired and metered to their generator, they may allow charging at those more convenient receptacles. If you go, don't begrudge them the $1/kWh, it's super-expensive to operate that remotely! A dollar/kWh is probably pretty close to their cost.

The sense of accomplishment: It was driving on a fairly well-maintained road with support vehilces. I got one flat (fairly well-maintained...) and was ready and able to change to a mounted spare I had in the car. I got a new tire I had in the back of a support truck installed in Deadhorse (the flat was not repairable). I was able to avoid windshield damage, unlike two Model Y's. It was a fun to be part of an historic event, and to see genuine interest in EVs from ConocoPhillips, a major supporter, and oilfield workers. We put on an awesome EV car show in the oilfield: Hummer, both Rivians, F150, all 4 Teslas....

North of the pass: all I can say is: Nothing to see here, move on, move on... ;) However, I will say that Deadhorse is as far from being a tourist destination as one could possibly get.

Now that Coldfoot Camp has some 14-50's wired and metered to their generator, they may allow charging at those more convenient receptacles. If you go, don't begrudge them the $1/kWh, it's super-expensive to operate that remotely! A dollar/kWh is probably pretty close to their cost.
Ah, plugshare isn't updated with that. I saw there are some places with 20a block heaters in Deadhorse which presumably people use to get back. You might well be able to do the phase combine trick to get 240v at 20a (16a) for tolerable charging speed.

Now, a support truck -- that's cheating, but perfectly understandable cheating! Yeah, I must admit to avoiding roads that are highly likely to give you a flat. Need to really want that. One could possibly go further and make a 4-way "Y" for block heaters, which would otherwise be unused in the summer and get 2 on each phase. Not really to the electrical code but it should work.

Ah, plugshare isn't updated with that. I saw there are some places with 20a block heaters in Deadhorse which presumably people use to get back. You might well be able to do the phase combine trick to get 240v at 20a (16a) for tolerable charging speed.

Now, a support truck -- that's cheating, but perfectly understandable cheating! Yeah, I must admit to avoiding roads that are highly likely to give you a flat. Need to really want that. One could possibly go further and make a 4-way "Y" for block heaters, which would otherwise be unused in the summer and get 2 on each phase. Not really to the electrical code but it should work.
Yeah, as far as I know only one EV has made the round trip to Deadhorse successfully without support- Robert Tucker in a Model 3 Performance this year. No flats even (he finally got one on the way to McCarthy, and needed a tow- no spare!)! Robert lived in his car in Fairbanks through the winter (literally), and drove almost every road in Alaska, except to Eagle; that drive is still open for a first!
I doubt that anything in Deadhorse will go on PlugShare. However, I'd bet that Deadhorse Aviation Center, or Conam construction would be willing to let you use one of the new 14-50s that the trip organizers wired in at either of those places. I don't know where Robert charged for his return trip. Power to the 20-amp block-heater plugs seemed to be switched off for the summer at the Aurora Hotel in Deadhorse when I tried them earlier this month...

Yeah, as far as I know only one EV has made the round trip to Deadhorse successfully without support- Robert Tucker in a Model 3 Performance this year. No flats even (he finally got one on the way to McCarthy, and needed a tow- no spare!)! Robert lived in his car in Fairbanks through the winter (literally), and drove almost every road in Alaska, except to Eagle; that drive is still open for a first!
I doubt that anything in Deadhorse will go on PlugShare. However, I'd bet that Deadhorse Aviation Center, or Conam construction would be willing to let you use one of the new 14-50s that the trip organizers wired in at either of those places. I don't know where Robert charged for his return trip. Power to the 20-amp block-heater plugs seemed to be switched off for the summer at the Aurora Hotel in Deadhorse when I tried them earlier this month...
I had not heard of 20a block heaters before. Must be an Alaska thing. In Canada they are common in many parts but most block heaters might draw 6 to 12 amps.

However I am interested in that because in spite of what people think, level 1 is sufficient for many cars, so it's a way to get apartment buildings, offices and parking lots immediately to having EV charging without a lot of cost. The ideal thing would be to convert them to 240v at the same current (same wires) but then it would blow out the block heaters. If you just have 3 conductors, you can't offer 240 and 120 at the same time.

I had not heard of 20a block heaters before. Must be an Alaska thing. In Canada they are common in many parts but most block heaters might draw 6 to 12 amps.

However I am interested in that because in spite of what people think, level 1 is sufficient for many cars, so it's a way to get apartment buildings, offices and parking lots immediately to having EV charging without a lot of cost. The ideal thing would be to convert them to 240v at the same current (same wires) but then it would blow out the block heaters. If you just have 3 conductors, you can't offer 240 and 120 at the same time.
I agree about level 1. We lived with that for a year. It's fine for almost all daily driving. We installed level 2 because in winter with a few longish drives around town and an extra trip to go skiing locally, level 1 couldn't keep up sometimes.
I don't know about the heaters, but the receptacles in Deadhorse and on the oilfield are NEMA 5-20Rs, so with the Tesla NEMA 5-20 adapter I was getting 16 amps on the oilfield (restricted access), instead of 12 at 120v with the 5-15 adapter that comes with the mobile connector.