Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stealth mode for camping -- pretty please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Camp mode is great! But I wish I could press a single button to disable all the obnoxious lights, beeps, dings, and boops. Others have posted about this problem.

I'm at a rustic hot springs camp site well off the beaten path. Camp mode is a wonderful convenience but I hate to disturb my neighbors with headlights, taillights, rear hatch lights and so on. Some things can be disabled but many can't. Also, when the headlights (or daytime running lights) turn on at night when I open the door, I not only blind my neighbors but I also attract swarms of flying insects to my car.

Instead of forcing us to be "that jerk in a Tesla" I'd rather be not noticed at all. I think this would be an easy change by adding one button. Stealth mode could be disabled automatically when the car is put into gear or when the stealth button is pressed again.

Please give us the option to be be considerate of those around us. Overall this could be good PR for Tesla or at least not the horrible PR of the current "maximally obnoxious" system.

I don't like it when someone walks around with a flashlight turned on, ruining their own night vision and the night vision of everyone they shine the flashlight on. The lights from the car are usually much worse and less helpful

Besides, what's the point of having a super S3XY high tech car it it doesn't have Stealth Mode?

Camp mode is great! But I wish I could press a single button to disable all the obnoxious lights, beeps, dings, and boops. Others have posted about this problem.

I'm at a rustic hot springs camp site well off the beaten path. Camp mode is a wonderful convenience but I hate to disturb my neighbors with headlights, taillights, rear hatch lights and so on. Some things can be disabled but many can't. Also, when the headlights (or daytime running lights) turn on at night when I open the door, I not only blind my neighbors but I also attract swarms of flying insects to my car.

Instead of forcing us to be "that jerk in a Tesla" I'd rather be not noticed at all. I think this would be an easy change by adding one button. Stealth mode could be disabled automatically when the car is put into gear or when the stealth button is pressed again.

Please give us the option to be be considerate of those around us. Overall this could be good PR for Tesla or at least not the horrible PR of the current "maximally obnoxious" system.

I don't like it when someone walks around with a flashlight turned on, ruining their own night vision and the night vision of everyone they shine the flashlight on. The lights from the car are usually much worse and less helpful

Besides, what's the point of having a super S3XY high tech car it it doesn't have Stealth Mode?

Settings - Lights. Just hit them all off there. We take the car to a drive in and are quite adept at it. I think that it's 4-5 options that you may want to click off.

I’ve never understood why in a Model S (and presumably the X) the driver display (not the main screen) remains on ALL NIGHT even in camp mode. It wastes electricity and shines unwanted light through the cabin. I cover mine with a towel, but it’s likely an easy fix for them.

Reactions: groovyd
I’ve never understood why in a Model S (and presumably the X) the driver display (not the main screen) remains on ALL NIGHT even in camp mode. It wastes electricity and shines unwanted light through the cabin. I cover mine with a towel, but it’s likely an easy fix for them.
Taking my new S camping for the first time. Mind filling me in on exactly what to expect from camp mode? All the ins and out? Hard to piece together what the current system actually does and doesn’t.

Taking my new S camping for the first time. Mind filling me in on exactly what to expect from camp mode? All the ins and out? Hard to piece together what the current system actually does and doesn’t.
It’s works great - not much to expect other than it works great. My tip is to setup a driver profile to use when you camp that sets the driver seat all the way forward, turns off the interior lights, etc. I’ve camped when it’s been around 30F outside and I’ve used less than 2% per hour with the cabin temp set to 75.

I thought you meant the ability to turn off the aircon without turning on the alarm. That in itself would be wonderful:

I posted the whole sordid story in:
So I tried camping in the car for one night......

At least two others there had problems with the alarm going off while camping. I struggle to sleep knowing my aircon is annoying others & the alarm will wake everyone if the battery drops to 20%.
If you're expecting the alarm to go off, I'd be more worried about getting to somewhere to charge.