Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car charges at a rate of 180km at empty supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ditto

Model S75D 2016 AP1
Oct 5, 2017
Quebec
This is the supercharger located in Magog, Quebec. I've used this supercharger at least a dozen times in the last year. I've only recently been keeping track of my charge rate, and I just finished reading the supercharger section on the Tesla website.

This is what they say on their website:
How can I maximize power and reduce charge time at a Supercharger?
Each charge post is labeled with a number and letter, either A or B (e.g. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B). When possible, select a charge post with a unique number that is not currently connected to a vehicle. When a unique number isn’t available, the Supercharger cabinet has technology to share available power between charge posts A and B. To maximize power, park at a Supercharger shared with a car that is nearly done charging. For Superchargers in urban areas, there is no need to consider these suggestions, as those sites do not share available power; each car has dedicated power available.

So I decided to test it out. I went yesterday and today and both times I was maxing out around 200km / 30ish kwh. Both times I was the only Tesla plugged. In the past, I've gotten up to 400km, which was great, but now I'm not even near that. Both days that I went I was at approximately 30-40% of my batteries capacity. I used different superchargers both times.

Could this simply be an issue with this specific supercharger station? Could it be that both superchargers that I used are somewhat broken? When I plug at home I always gets the same rate of about 30km. I've seen the thread where Tesla limits supercharging rate, but considering I don't often use them I doubt that I am affected by it.

I'm assuming you mean kph and not km. Saying "a rate of 180km" is very confusing. Best would just be to list kW and your SoC.

Is your problem at all supercharging stations, or just this one? If all supercharging stations, the problem is probably your car, such as a stuck louvre. If just this one station, the problem is probably it (ask other Tesla owners in your area to try it out to confirm). But since you've tried out different superchargers at the given station, that reduces the odds that it's a problem with the station (unless there's a problem with its overall power feed)

Ed: Checking plugshare, I see someone reporting 118kW in late August.

Does kph = km per hour? I'll change it in my original post. I rarely charge elsewhere, and I rarely encounter other Teslas at this location.

I've had good rates at this charging station before. I guess I'm just wondering if sometimes supercharging stations give a lower kw charge for reasons other than problems with the specific car that's charging.

It probably means nothing, but this location for some reason doesn't indicate how many people are charging on the Tesla Map in my car. When I verified on the Tesla site, they do provide the information. Weird that it shows up there but not in my car.

Edit: can't edit my original post... oups

Last edited:
My suspicion would be your car. At least check to make sure your louvres are both open when you supercharge. Even if they are, there are other things that can be wrong that will limit your supercharging rate.