Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car damaged by another driver right before renewal time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They have referred me to a hire car company already - Auxillis.

I haven't signed any contract with them yet, I'm waiting to make sure I know who is repairing the car first.

Edit - Looks like they do handle repairs as well for insurers, but they aren't the company who Privilege wanted me to handle the repairs. Just the hire/courtesy car. I read both pages of their hire agreement/contract carefully and it was purely for car hire services.

Auxillis don't get many good reviews online but I spoke to someone today who was very polite. I still won't be taking them up until I know more though.

I have heard (on here) good things about using Novo as a claims service, as you instruct them they are ultimately keeping you happy rather than being a default from your insurer.

Reactions: Nick77
Are you obliged to keep your car insured while it’s being repaired or is it covered by the repairer’s trade policy/PLI?

Reason I ask is that it seems pointless to me to insure your car on 21/06 because its going to be in the garage past that date, possibly several weeks if not months, if Tesla parts delays etc are anything to go by.

As remarked be wary of your insurer, or anyone they contact about this, getting you signed up for an expensive hire car agreement. Whilst liability seems cut and dried in this case, you’re obliged to minimise costs so if the hire bill runs to £thousands (which it easily would on a like for like car that you have for months) and you have use of another car, for example, the other insurer might dispute it.

Bizarrely, as suggested by your own insurer, it might have made sense to directly deal with the third party insurer - the reason being is that they’re highly motivated to reduce their costs so would bend over backwards for you, whereas your own insurer won’t be as motivated.

Hopefully this all goes smoothly for you.

If it was me, I would have dealt with the 3rd party insurer direct for the reasons above. If you claim via your own insurance, you may have to pay your no claims and wait on them recovering the cost to get it back.

I've dealt with these claim management companies before. They charge Dick Turpin rates for higher cars and be careful what paperwork you sign with them as it may be a credit agreement leaving you personally liable if they are unable to recover the costs from the other party.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I spoke to my insurance, but the bloke weirdly asked me if I wanted to claim through them or try and claim myself through her insurer. I thought that was a bit odd to suggest. No way am I claiming it all myself and being responsible for anything that goes wrong.
I am not completely familiar with the insurance process but there was a guy on here who used a third party to manage the claim, they used Novo insurance to just manage the claim, who dealt with everything and made sure it was sent to an approved workshop etc.

Here is a link incase anyone is interested

I am not completely familiar with the insurance process but there was a guy on here who used a third party to manage the claim, they used Novo insurance to just manage the claim, who dealt with everything and made sure it was sent to an approved workshop etc.

Here is a link incase anyone is interested
Yes thanks.

Since having thought about it and being stressed about trying to sort it all out with all concerned parties, I've spoken to Novo earlier this morning after hearing about them on here. And they are now handling it all for me.

I'm even getting a Model 3 courtesy hire car off them with free supercharging until mine is sorted and repaired.

A big thanks to all who commented with advice and suggestions. Much love to this forum and the help I get from everyone here. Hopefully it'll all be smooth from here on.

The only thing I was concerned about with Novo is that they will ring the girl who hit my car for her version of events. But I've messaged her in advance so she's not worried about who the hell is calling her about an accident she was in, and if they are some unscrupulous company trying to make a claim off her. Hopefully she will be ok with it.

Novo are very good. As liability is pretty clear cut I wouldn't be too worried.

Although I was insured with Novo previously, I do feel slightly uneasy about the idea of using their accident management company arm - since it ought to be pretty obvious that the costs of this Tesla courtesy car, etc is going to run to a lot of money, and will be billed to the third party insurer, etc.

Just don't complain about how much Tesla insurance is next year ;)

• Funny
Yes she has admitted liability to the police, her insurance, and now Novo. So no issues there.

That company Auxillis sent me a hire car agreement for around £25 per day for a similar sized petrol car. Novo have just sent me their hire agreement through for the a Tesla Model 3 and it's £309 per day!! God knows what it would have been for the Model Y they offered me first.

So yes, I know what you mean about feeling a little uneasy/guilty. As this will only help bump prices up for Tesla users in the long run.

I'd actually just received my Tesla Insurance renewal from Privilege. I paid £479 last year and they have quoted me £767 for this year. And that's before taking this incident into account. Though a previous no fault claim in Feb 2018 will now be off too, so I have to ring them later this week to see what new renewal price it's going to be.

I already did some online comparisons that have gone to £900+. Insurance for Tesla's has gone crazy the last year or two.

Yes she has admitted liability to the police, her insurance, and now Novo. So no issues there.

That company Auxillis sent me a hire car agreement for around £25 per day for a similar sized petrol car. Novo have just sent me their hire agreement through for the a Tesla Model 3 and it's £309 per day!! God knows what it would have been for the Model Y they offered me first.

So yes, I know what you mean about feeling a little uneasy/guilty. As this will only help bump prices up for Tesla users in the long run.

I'd actually just received my Tesla Insurance renewal from Privilege. I paid £479 last year and they have quoted me £767 for this year. And that's before taking this incident into account. Though a previous no fault claim in Feb 2018 will now be off too, so I have to ring them later this week to see what new renewal price it's going to be.

I already did some online comparisons that have gone to £900+. Insurance for Tesla's has gone crazy the last year or two.
I wonder why? 🙃

• Funny
So the 3rd party insurance has now accepted full responsibility, and my car is being collected tomorrow by Shorade.

While the repair company has it should I restrict access to anything via the profile, or keep it in Valet mode or anything like that?

Shorade are a Tesla Approved repair centre, so would they be able to override it and put it in Service Mode any way?

Last edited:
So the 3rd party insurance has now accepted full responsibility, and my car is being collected tomorrow by Shorade.

While the repair company has it should I restrict access to anything via the profile, or keep it in Valet mode or anything like that?

Shorade are a Tesla Approved repair centre, so would they be able to override it and put it in Service Mode any way?
My car is in with a Tesla approved repair centre and they have put the car in Service mode. All I did was turn off Pin to drive and gave them a key card.

@Nick77 just to mention that when making a claim against another person you are expected to keep the costs to them as low as possible while not inconveniencing yourself. For example regarding the hire car you are entitled to one if you don't have any other practical alternative, and it should the minimum to meet your needs. For example if you don't normally drive your Tesla and use another car then you don't need a hire car.

It's established that typically people need a car of a particular size, so the hire car should be equivalent, and it's also reasonable to suggest that you are used to driving an electric car so it should also be electric.

When my other half was in a similar incident the opposing insurance at one point protested the cost of the hire car and we were required by our insurance to detail why we needed it, and if necessary to do so in court (thankfully wasn't required).

Eh? Nobody needs an electric car. To suggest you must have an EV hire car seems pretty unreasonable to me.

It's attitudes like that which is probably one of the main drivers of such high insurance premiums, IMO the only criteria should be that the car is of a similar size to the one that's being repaired. It should be a temporary measure to keep you moving and nothing more.

Eh? Nobody needs an electric car. To suggest you must have an EV hire car seems pretty unreasonable to me.

It's attitudes like that which is probably one of the main drivers of such high insurance premiums, IMO the only criteria should be that the car is of a similar size to the one that's being repaired. It should be a temporary measure to keep you moving and nothing more.

Can't completely agree with this...if my car was damaged and it wasn't my fault, I certainly wouldn't want to be running around in a Petrol or Diesel car paying whatever the going rate is for fuel right now, vs charging at home for 7.5p a k/w or even charging it at work for free.

That's absolutely not the established president, for example if you had an automatic ICE then it would be considered reasonable to require an automatic hire car, same logic with electric. It probably ought to have roughly the same range as well. It would be unreasonable for someone with a Fiesta to have a Lamborghini as a hire car.