Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car died today. Gear indicators turned red.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 P85

So I’m driving home from work this evening and with no warning or alert all of sudden the car wouldn’t respond to the accelerator and the car just came to a standstill as I braked. The car was still on though. I was stuck in the far left lane of a major road in NOVA (50 in Arlington). I tried changing gear and it would shift between them but still no ability to drive. I noticed that the gear inductors(PRND) were in red. Called roadside and we did some restarts with no luck. Tow truck beat the cop to the scene and we dropped it off at the Tyson’s SC. Roadside and the SC said they had not heard of this happening before. I couldn’t find anything online either. Got a Chrysler 300 as a loaner (ugh said they didn’t have any tesla loaners left)

My guess is driveunit failure.
Anyone heard of this before?
Anyone successful in exchanging their non-tesla loaner for a tesla eventually if they have to keep your car for a while?

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX
Last year as I accelerated from a turn, my drive unit made a load "pop/boom" and suddenly no power. There was no road hazard. The motor spun initially in response to the accellerator pedal then cut out also. I rolled into a parking lot and later had the DU replaced. We assume it was the gears but the DU is replaced as a unit and repaired in California and later used on other warranty repairs.

• Disagree
Reactions: Foxyboy
Last year as I accelerated from a turn, my drive unit made a load "pop/boom" and suddenly no power. There was no road hazard. The motor spun initially in response to the accellerator pedal then cut out also. I rolled into a parking lot and later had the DU replaced. We assume it was the gears but the DU is replaced as a unit and repaired in California and later used on other warranty repairs.

Exactly the same here except I’m not sure if there was a loud pop as I had the music up. Did you also have the red gears? Any issues since the replacement?

After diagnosis, new drive unit needed. Had one in stock so got my car back today. Looks like they replaced everything.

Concern: Customer: car doesn t have acceleration. Customer is westbound, underneath the overpass on 10th st. N. (1/23/18)
Corrections: Drive Unit - Rear - Large
Technician confirmed rear drive unit is not to specifications. Replaced rear drive unit and road tested to confirm vehicle is operating as designed
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASY,P-TRAIN,RMN,MDLSX,SPORT,CMC,HS 1 (1025598-00-P)
SIDE MOTOR MOUNT ASSEMBLY (1028034 1 -00-B)
ASY,HV COVER,INVERTER (1003783-00-B) 1
CBL TIE,110MM,4.6,PA66HS,UL94V2,FIR 1 TREE (1022868-00-A)
G-48 COOLANT (1029320-00-A) 1
212-B ATF (1031106-00-A) 5
Corrections: Four Wheel Alignment - Check and Adjust (with Air Suspension)
Performed four wheel alignment as part of drive unit replacement
Pay Type: Warranty

Glad they took care of it that fast. Do they charge you haul back car to dealership? Makes me convinced more than warranty after 50K is a good idea. Did you ask them what would've been the cost of repair, if u were not within warranty period?

Glad they took care of it that fast. Do they charge you haul back car to dealership? Makes me convinced more than warranty after 50K is a good idea. Did you ask them what would've been the cost of repair, if u were not within warranty period?
I think if they tow within 100 miles it is free. Didn't mention how much but he joked that I owed them $2k. I wonder if they will give me a new 8 year warranty on the new drive unit since that was replaced. That would be nice.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
The 'P' unit is the larger rear drive unit. It's my understanding that 'Q' is the smaller motor.
I also had the drive unit replaced on my P85 recently, and received the same 'P' model number.
Actually for P85 the latest version is -P. S85 is -Q
Looks like you are correct. RWD S85s are getting the -Q unit. P85s get the -P unit.

I think my confusion came from reading that the motors in the P85 and S85 were the same, and the difference in the Performance cars was the inverter, i.e. how fast the car could draw power from the battery. But what I was missing is that the inverter is actually part of the drive unit, along with the motor and gearbox. The rear motor might be same, but not the entire drive unit.

Nln4Ofq.jpg

Don’t forget the drive unit comes with the 8 year unlimited mile warranty, unless you have the old 60kw which was an 8 year- 120k mike warranty if I’m not mistaken

Wasn't the unlimited warranty retro'd to all Model S cars produced?
Yes: Infinite Mile Warranty
Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced. In hindsight, this should have been our policy from the beginning of the Model S program. If we truly believe that electric motors are fundamentally more reliable than gasoline engines, with far fewer moving parts and no oily residue or combustion byproducts to gum up the works, then our warranty policy should reflect that.

Don’t forget the drive unit comes with the 8 year unlimited mile warranty, unless you have the old 60kw which was an 8 year- 120k mike warranty if I’m not mistaken
Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kw".

Tesla Extends Drive Unit Warranty To Infinity And Beyond says "The 60 kWh Model S versions now have a 8 year/125,000 mile warranty." I'm 90% sure that's the correct coverage for that version.