Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

car door protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car side door protection on a Model 3 - We have picked up a couple of dents and scratches from other car doors banging into ours. One car park in particular we have to use has very tight spaces. Has anyone used any side door protection strips (adhesive or detachable)? Is that just a stupid idea anyway? Just concerned how much these dents and scratches, if they continue, are going to cost to fix.

Use sentry mode and send the bill to whoever causes the damage. Sadly nobody cares about anything or anyone anymore, it’s all about number 1. A bill of a few grand should sort that out.
Other than making a point, would this actually work?

Is sentry footage sufficient to actually establish blame such that the person (or their insurerer....and this is a whole other can of worms!) who causes the damage has an obligation to pay for repairs?

I parked next to another Model 3 recently and when I got back gave the sentry recordings a quick look. Nice full view of him happily letting his door rest on mine whilst he removed his jacket. Pillock.

No damage luckily.

Has anyone used any side door protection strips (adhesive or detachable)?

I remember sticking some on my Ford XR3 - back in the 70's I expect! Nice thick, squidgy, clear tape that absorbed a door-knock impact well. Can't remember if it looked terrible ... or invisible.

All the Teslas should park really really close to each other, at the far end of the car park ... and Park / Extract using summon ...

... I'll get my coat!

I never use a busy car park, If I cant get a space on the end of a row and on the perimeter and i usually go for the parking spot the furthest away because most others are lazy bstards and want to be near the shop doors - especially wimmins. If one isn't available I go elsewhere, however, if i really have to visit that particular business then i find a parking spot close to the car park.

Having said all of that I'm retired - so shop when i know its going to be quiet and for 95% of what i buy I use Amazon, and occasionally eBay, The only proper shopping I do is food - don't have it delivered so someone else can have all the short life products courtesy of the order pickers.

Car is three yrs old, no scratches, dinks or dents ---- so far.

I watch so many drivers just throw their door open onto the car next to them - and sometimes people are in their cars and don't react to it.

basically park as far away form people as possible is the only real solution

Where the route to the supermarket is all the way through the car park (as some of them are) I park as soon as I enter - i.e. furthest from the shop. Walking to the shop I pass cars waiting for someone to reverse out / back-and-fill, and unless I pick a quiet time I often get to the door before the guy from the car that arrived behind me - and I get a short & brisk walk. I can also pull through an (empty) double row of parking spaces so I'm all ready to leave facing forwards.

I have new car syndrome (going on two years now)...my rules for parking
Park as far as possible away from anyone
Try and be the last car in the row (cuts dents by 50%)
Take two places if possible
Or move over as far to the edge as you can
Never park next to a wreak
Never park next to anything with a baby seat...especially a two door car
Avoid any car with signs of children in them
Cars/vans with sliding doors are your friends
Avoid parking next to fat people (apologies if that is offensive)

I have new car syndrome (going on two years now)...my rules for parking
Park as far as possible away from anyone
Try and be the last car in the row (cuts dents by 50%)
Take two places if possible
Or move over as far to the edge as you can
Never park next to a wreak
Never park next to anything with a baby seat...especially a two door car
Avoid any car with signs of children in them
Cars/vans with sliding doors are your friends
Avoid parking next to fat people (apologies if that is offensive)
That one can be counterproductive unfortunately!