Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Inaccessible Via App After Some Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I park and walk away, the Tesla app is able to connect to the car for the first hour or so? But if I don't connect to the car for a while, it goes into a what I'm guessing is a deep sleep, and I can't access it using the app. The app spins with a 'Waking up' message and then errors out 'Updated an hour ago'.

(I'm still able to unlock the car when I walk up to it with my phone, and then subsequently able to connect via the app).

Is there any way to keep the car from going into this deep sleep?

When I park and walk away, the Tesla app is able to connect to the car for the first hour or so? But if I don't connect to the car for a while, it goes into a what I'm guessing is a deep sleep, and I can't access it using the app. The app spins with a 'Waking up' message and then errors out 'Updated an hour ago'.

(I'm still able to unlock the car when I walk up to it with my phone, and then subsequently able to connect via the app).

Is there any way to keep the car from going into this deep sleep?
Same thing has been happening to me lately. Never used to happen, not sure what changed.
May have started with 2020.40.8.
I have an iPhone X.

It should wake up within 10-20 seconds.
It doesn't.

Probably should've specified, Samsung S20+

Including screenshot, I've hit that refresh button a few times with no luck.
Screenshot_20201029-220940_Tesla.jpg

Does this only happen when you park away from your home location? When outside of BT or Wi-Fi range the phone app will attempt to communicate with the vehicle via LTE. Are you parked in a location, such as a garage, where the vehicle can't receive a strong LTE signal? If this happens when you park at your home location try turning off BT and WiFi on your phone and then turning BT and WiFi back on else or just turn on Airplane mode and then turn Airplane mode off again.

… turn on Airplane mode and then turn Airplane mode off again.

This almost always helps.

Another workaround is to use the phone like a key card, i.e. touch the B-pillar just under the camera. If the car then still refuses to drive, touch the spot on the center console between the cup holders and the armrest. This workaround requires that NFC is activated in the phone.

Are you parked in a location, such as a garage, where the vehicle can't receive a strong LTE signal? If this happens when you park at your home location try turning off BT and WiFi on your phone and then turning BT and WiFi back on else or just turn on Airplane mode and then turn Airplane mode off again.

Car is parked in the garage, connected to WiFi. BT and WiFi are working correctly on my phone.

Another workaround is to use the phone like a key card, i.e. touch the B-pillar just under the camera. If the car then still refuses to drive, touch the spot on the center console between the cup holders and the armrest. This workaround requires that NFC is activated in the phone.

I have no problems driving the car, or unlocking it when I'm next to it using the app. I just can't access the car remotely via the app when it's been sitting for a few hours.

Car is parked in the garage, connected to WiFi. BT and WiFi are working correctly on my phone.

I have no problems driving the car, or unlocking it when I'm next to it using the app. I just can't access the car remotely via the app when it's been sitting for a few hours.
Try deleting the WiFi connection from the vehicle settings, then re-create the WiFi connection.

Last time it happened to me I went to the Tesla website and contacted them on the chat and they fixed it for me. I haven’t bothered to do it yet this time. It only happens when the car sleeps so the wifi shouldn’t matter. If you leave sentry mode on it won’t happen or if the car is charging it won’t happen.
If you want to make the app work, just hit the lock and unlock button and wait about 10 seconds.

Reactions: FormationLap
Try deleting the WiFi connection from the vehicle settings, then re-create the WiFi connection.

Appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately this did not work. When I sit in the car, it shows 'no connection' and then within seconds connects to the WiFi.

If you leave sentry mode on it won’t happen or if the car is charging it won’t happen.
If you want to make the app work, just hit the lock and unlock button and wait about 10 seconds.

Hitting Lock/Unlock worked, thank you!

I just returned after having parked for an hour inside a commercial garage. I parked my MY on the 1st level of the garage. The garage was partially open to the outdoors. From my location outside the garage, one level up at street level, I was unable to connect to the MY from my phone from due there being no LTE signal in the garage, the MY was not connected to any WiFi. I was able to unlock the MY using BT as I approached the vehicle but could not turn on the climate control until I opened the driver's door. I had thought that I would be able to turn on the climate control using the BT connection but that did not work (at least not this time.)

Appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately this did not work. When I sit in the car, it shows 'no connection' and then within seconds connects to the vehicle.
Are you saying that the phone shows no connection or the Model Y shows no connection to your WiFi network? If you have a WiFi connection to the Model Y you should be able to open the Tesla's internet browser, enter a common URL such as CNN.com

Are you saying that the phone shows no connection or the Model Y shows no connection to your WiFi network? If you have a WiFi connection to the Model Y you should be able to open the Tesla's internet browser, enter a common URL such as CNN.com

I had my spotify open, and it had cell phone signal bars with a diagonal line across them and a message stating No Connection. After a few seconds it connected to WiFi though.

I'm beginning to think the only reason the lock/unlock worked is because I'm connected to the car via BT from my office above the garage. When I unlocked the car, that 'woke it up' and prompted it to connect to WiFi.

I had my spotify open, and it had cell phone signal bars with a diagonal line across them and a message stating No Connection. After a few seconds it connected to WiFi though.

I'm beginning to think the only reason the lock/unlock worked is because I'm connected to the car via BT from my office above the garage. When I unlocked the car, that 'woke it up' and prompted it to connect to WiFi.
My MY goes to sleep all the time (I don't have Sentry Mode active in my home garage.) When I use the app it is usually to turn on the MY climate control from inside my house. Before I can turn on the climate control the app states that the MY is waking up, this takes perhaps 15 to 20 second (I have not time it.) Once the MY wakes up I can turn on the climate control or access the other app settings.

Before I can turn on the climate control the app states that the MY is waking up, this takes perhaps 15 to 20 second (I have not time it.) Once the MY wakes up I can turn on the climate control or access the other app settings.

Yea that's the thing, my car craps out when trying to wake up. When I've driven it, or interacted with it in some way recently, it'll take 15 seconds. Otherwise it won't wake up (as seen in the above screenshot).

Not a problem for me, as I seem to be within BT range most of the time, and can just unlock the doors with the app to wake the car up.

Thanks!

Yea that's the thing, my car craps out when trying to wake up. When I've driven it, or interacted with it in some way recently, it'll take 15 seconds. Otherwise it won't wake up (as seen in the above screenshot).

Not a problem for me, as I seem to be within BT range most of the time, and can just unlock the doors with the app to wake the car up.

Thanks!
True, but I would like to be able to set the climate with the app without having to go to the car.
I notice that the ones with the problem are all in Canada. Coincidence?

Thanks!
Do you have any 3rd party apps installed? What about an OBDII reader? What device(s) do you have plugged into the USB-A port? Are you using a 3rd-party USB hub?

As far as the app, have you tried logging out of your Tesla account, then logging back in (you will need the password and your multi-factor authentication (if enabled) available to be able to sign in.) Also, if that does not work go the next step and delete the app (this will delete any data on your phone associated with the app so you will need to re-enter some settings such as the charging limit.) Download and reinstall the app; this should be straightforward since you should have the information needed to log into your Tesla account and authenticate with Tesla using your specified 2FA.

Last edited: